Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Lightwave To Poser : problem when reimporting into poser 6

adnan007 opened this issue on Apr 03, 2010 · 2 posts

adnan007 posted Sat, 03 April 2010 at 5:01 PM

hi everyone. i used to make poser characters morphs using Zbrush and it was very easy
all i had to do was :
1- import the original .obj file of the character to Zbrush.
2- make the morphs (sometimes full body morps).
3- import the modified .obj into poser
4- click on the group tool and create a prop for every bodypart that was morphed in Zbrush
5- export the props as .obj with morph target checked.
6- load the character and for every body part apply the morph.
7- when finished with all the body parts make a full body morh and save the character as a .cr2 in the labrary.

That's not the issue here but it is necessary to mention it because when i import the modified .obj into poser and click on the grouping tool, all the body parts are shown and have names (chest, lThight, Abdomen, etc.). Unfortunately that doesn't happen with lightwave.

Ok. Now let's talk about the problem that i found. i wanted to modify a Poser character (modify a Daz V3 pants and make it shorts instead). the modification was easy, all i had to do was delete some points and voila...

what i wanted to do was reimport the modified .obj into poser and make it a new figure. i used the original pants bones for the new modified.obj but when i created the figure it didn't conform to V3. it stayed in the same position.

after searching i found the problem. when i clicked on the grouping tool. i found that the body parts name were gone. (each body part is associated to a bone so if there's no body parts the bones won't move and are worthless in this case. that's why the shorts won't conform to V3 when posed).

My question : How to import a modified .obj from lightwave to poser maintaining the original .obj body parts names.

note : the problem is not with poser 6 because i used Zbrush before and when i reimport to poser, the .obj still has the body parts names.

so any solution please.

lighwave rocks if u find me a solution

nruddock posted Sat, 03 April 2010 at 5:59 PM

If the groups aren't present in the OBJ file, it must be LW's exporter that's not putting them there or the LW importer that's not loading them in the first place.

You might find you'll get an answer in the Lightwave forum, as it's likely that what you need to do is dependent on both the version of Lightwave you're using (9.6 has an improved OBJ exporter compared to earlier versions) and how you're creating the groups.