Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Computer Hardware

marineguy opened this issue on Aug 01, 2010 · 8 posts

marineguy posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 8:02 AM

Hey all,

been using DAZ for about 3 years and just got back into it again, "Marineguy" has my gallery. I'm going to be buying a new computer in a couple of months. I'm a Network Engineer and working with computers for the last 25 years and I've used Photoshop for the last 10 however, the world of 3D, rendering, DAZ, poser, etc, etc is all new. I haven't a clue on what kind of hardware, graphic cards, memory, etc to buy. I'll build you a a 1000 node network that can link you to 100 offices all over the world, but I'm dumber than a rock on what I need.

Any clues on hardware for 3D?

thanks

tokejr posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 8:16 AM

Look at the configuration of good gaming computers you'll need something similar.  I built my own for 3D stuff:

Asus Mobo
Processor :   AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, 2608 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
8GB RAM

Video card:
Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Adapter RAM    1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Lots and lots of disk space, but stay away from the 1 TB 7200.11 hard drives, there's a "silent" recall on them and they fail without warning.

If I had it to do over, I would have put in several smaller RAID drives instead of one large eSata drive.

Price in an external drive for backups.  Stay away from the Intel video cards; D|S has a lot of problems with them causing it to crash unexpectedly.

on edit:
Make sure you get a case with good ventilation and plenty of fans - these configurations run hot even without overclocking.

marineguy posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 9:36 AM

Hey thanks alot!!!! Use to do Graphic Design and had big images with lots of graphic and graphic cards did little to improve it. Is it a whole different world with 3D? Will DAZ and other 3D software take advantage of the card and card memory?

tokejr posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 9:46 AM

D|S is very particular about your video card and openGL.  I'm not sure why, because it doesn't utlize the card memory during rendering (that's all on your system memory) but does utilize the card memory for the Viewport display. 

Truthfully, I designed my system to work with the Adobe CS4 Extended Package because I design Flash, Video and graphics.  The video card I bought was the lowest end one that Adobe would accept for use with After Effects, but was considered high end for D|S.

R.P.Studios posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 11:16 AM

this is mine,

basically a gaming computer as stated will work for most all your 3D needs.

Mine is a bit over the top, but eh, who cares right :D

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

jammixx posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 5:33 PM

In a discussion about cooling, Ascania a the D/S forums proposed you should use this one:

Don't Look Back!  

Something might be gaining on you.  -Satchel Paige

jammixx posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 5:59 PM

Seriously I think there are basic things to consider about the use of D/S.  cpu, ram, cooling, software.

Don't Look Back!  

Something might be gaining on you.  -Satchel Paige

klown posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 9:44 AM

64 bit has a RAM limit but that limit is theoretical at this point. Windows drops the limit to much more realistic number 8GB, 16GB, 128GB depending on your flavor, oddly Mac OS X does not impose such limits and only comes in Consumer and Server.

It's been suggested to get a gaming machine, and I agree with that. Some folks'll grab an HP in the discount isle for $399 and these are problems waiting to happen with integrated components that were lackluster to begin with.

An Intel i7 or AMD, it's up to you. I have an i7-920, the clock speed is deceiving and would appear to be less than it really is but is known for its ability to OC past Intels costing 3x as much, the i7-930 is the CPU that replaced it. I have 12 GB of DDR3 1.6GHz RAM and an Asus mobo with 6 RAM slots to equalize some of the expense. (Note, the new iMac has an option for an i7 Intel and 16GB of RAM, it will run windows 7 64 like a champ and has a 27" LCD that rocks)

Power is a much more serious issue than it was 5 years ago, I'm running a single nVidia GTS 250, two drives, one DVD and fans in a LianLI case and I'm using a 750 Watt Corsair, I think SLI is overkill for Studio but your mileage might vary. ATI or nVidia, just not integrated into the mobo.

In a "what the hell" moment I bought StarCraft 2, installed it and ran it full blast on my system at 1900x1200 with all options cranked. The system didn't so much as hiccup. (I am however getting my butt pwned by the CPU)

my next investment is a Corsair 600 case and a liquid cooling system to further up this system.

This system above works very will with Studio for the most part but Studio does not feel totally optimized for 64 bit at this time. It's fast, but there is plenty of headroom for faster especially when the scenes get busy.

3Delight is very responsive when I render, but it pins the CPU, which is was designed to do.