Forum: Blender

Subject: Loading a background reference image

Miss B opened this issue on Nov 02, 2010 · 12 posts

Miss B posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 2:01 AM

I've just started playing in 2.54 a couple/three days ago and so far have one large issue.

In older versions (2.45 and 2.49) I was able to load a background reference image by clicking on View > Background Image, but there's nothing like that in the View menu of 2.54, and I can't find that option anywhere else.

If someone has any insights as to how to do that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Miss B posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 2:33 AM

OK, I think I just found a place in one of the panels titled Background Images, and if I click on the check box the Add Image button becomes live.

When I click on the Add Image button and the nclick on the arrow to the left of Not Set, it gives me an Open Image button so I can browse to the reference image i want to use.  However, said reference image is only visible in the Camera view.  I can not see it in Top, Front, Left or Right view.  There are additional options that appear in the panel to reset the size and location (x/y) positions, as well as degree of transparency, but I still can't see anything.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?  Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Butterfly Dezignz

benney posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 4:34 AM

You need to split your window setup into for views each being front, side, top etc and then load the required image into each view seperatly.

Hope that helps.

Reddog9 posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 8:23 AM

The drop down list labeled "Axis" is the one you select from to tell blender which view to see the reference image from . 

Options are:

Left, Right, Front, Back, Top, Bottom, All Views and Camera

With Blender 2.54, you're able to set multiple reference (background) images each with their own veiw settings all from one view port.

Reddog9
Tutorials, Samples and Models
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 9:37 AM

Attached Link: Making a Baluster

> Quote - The drop down list labeled "Axis" is the one you select from to tell blender which view to see the reference image from .  > > Options are: > > Left, Right, Front, Back, Top, Bottom, All Views and Camera > > With Blender 2.54, you're able to set multiple reference (background) images each with their own veiw settings all from one view port.

Reddog9
Tutorials, Samples and Models
www.blender3dclub.com

Miss B posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 12:53 PM

Ohhhhhh, you select the axis first and THEN load the image.   Duuuuuh.  I was selecting the axis after.  Sheesh, talk about a dunder head.

Oh and thanks for the link to the tut.  I'm going to try that one too.  ;-)

Quote - The drop down list labeled "Axis" is the one you select from to tell blender which view to see the reference image from . 

Options are:

Left, Right, Front, Back, Top, Bottom, All Views and Camera

With Blender 2.54, you're able to set multiple reference (background) images each with their own veiw settings all from one view port.

Butterfly Dezignz

Miss B posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 10:45 PM

Thanks benney and Reddog9.  At first I still couldn't get it done until I followed benney's suggestion to set it to quad view first, and THEN chose the Front view in the Axis, and was then able to switch to the single Front view with the image still showing up.

Thanks again from a very happy camper.  ;-)

Butterfly Dezignz

benney posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 8:44 AM

Glad to hear you have got things sorted.... Happy modelling.

aprillove20 posted Fri, 19 November 2010 at 1:39 PM

Good ideas Reddog9. Please keep sharing your knowledge with us.

Job
mining jobs

Touchwood posted Fri, 19 November 2010 at 4:30 PM

There is also a add-on in 2.5 called Import Images as planes.

Enable the Add on in the User Preferences and you can import an image as a seperate object who's aspect ratio will match the chosen image. This way you can move said (image) object for alignment and the image will remain in view whatever the camera position.

Once set up, just disable the selection and render options in the outliner and your ready to go. Very useful to avoid fiddling around with the background image options.

Miss B posted Sat, 20 November 2010 at 12:49 AM

Oh, that's interesting.  I'll have to check that out as well.  Thanks Touchwood.  😄

Butterfly Dezignz

PoalaVandel posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 11:08 AM

Glad I found this post. Otherwise I would have never figured out how to setup a background image in Blender 2.55 Beta. Thanks in advance.