Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Anyone got some mac OBJs I can have?

wolfie opened this issue on Jan 25, 2011 · 11 posts

wolfie posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 2:02 PM

I am trying to make a command line OBJ scaler and want to test it with some MAC objs (only CR's).

They can be any objects, even a simple cube.

PM me or you can post links here if you want them public.

Miss Nancy posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 2:52 PM

the wavefront.obj format looks the same in txt editor, whether win or OS X.  what are CR's?

wolfie posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 3:13 PM

Carriage returns (x0d).  LF are line feeds (x0a).  Windows uses both CRLF (x0d0a).  Some platforms such as unix and (I thought) mac use LF only or CR only.  OBJ is a text format file so it can be any of the three possibilities for line endings.

I have tested the utility against files I manually created with CRs, LFs and CRLFs but I wanted originals to test against.  I have tested it against OBJs from Poser, Modo, UVMAPPER and HEX.  So far so good.  It appears to scale them properly and can be called from a BAT file to automate the process which is what I was looking for.

PhilC posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 3:47 PM

On all the scripts I write I go through an "if elif else" routine that covers all of the options.

wolfie posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 4:31 PM

At the beginning it grabs like 1k from the file and looks for CR, LF and CFLF and sets flags based on what it finds before it begins line scanning.

I just wanted some examples to test against.  Since I don't have a mac, I have no way to make mac files.  I manyually wrote some files out with only CRs and LFs but as you know, real world files can sometimes not be what you expected:)

I have a working test app if anyone (windows only) wants to test it.

Miss Nancy posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 5:00 PM

saved poser box as obj.  it looks like att img.  diamonds are spaces and the thing at end of line is line feed.  I checked random downloaded objs (created by win usrs) and they all have LF.  maybe OS X converts CRs automatically to LF now.  I dunno if they can distribute obj files that are copyrighted.

wolfie posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 8:50 PM

I am not asking for copyrighted stuff.  Just freebies that were made on a mac is all.  I don't even want anything usable or big.  As I said, even just a generic cube with 8 verts and associated faces.

Roxam posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 2:40 AM

Attached Link: http://elleque.net/content/

I think "elleque" creates on Mac and has freebees on her site... a very talented artist, She is the creator of Scampixie Pranx

http://elleque.net/content/

wolfie posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 9:42 AM

Ok, thank you.  I will investigate the link when I get off work.  Much appreciated.

Miss Nancy posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 4:12 PM

if ya open a mac obj file with LFs, the win7 OS may convert 'em to CRs, as OS X appears to convert CRs to LFs on open.

wolfie posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 4:57 PM

Its not the OS.  Its the application you open the file with.