Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Upgrade to 8 or Pro 2010?

drkfetyshnyghts opened this issue on Feb 03, 2011 · 12 posts

drkfetyshnyghts posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hi Guys

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldnt upgrade to Poser Pro 2010 over P8? I mean apart from the pricing aspect which is obvious.  I'm not a huge Poser user but I do use it intensively occasionaly so having all the features males sense.  Unless there is a good reason not to, I see  myself plumping for Poser Pro 2010.

AnyThoughts? Anywone?

Paul Francis posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 3:28 PM

I've got both (as well as 3,5,6,7 and Pro), and never use 8; I only ever use 64-bit Pro 2010, if that helps.

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

drkfetyshnyghts posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 4:13 PM

Quote - I've got both (as well as 3,5,6,7 and Pro), and never use 8; I only ever use 64-bit Pro 2010, if that helps.

Hmmm I hear you. Although I use Macs so 64 bit is confined to rendering if I'm not mistaken? Thanks for your input :)

SteveJax posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 5:05 PM

Go Pro! You will not regret it!

Dynamo posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 5:09 PM

Pro is worth it to me just for the improved Library system.

pjz99 posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 6:54 PM

I think in the last SR for Poser 8 they gave it the same library system actually, although it isn't in a separate app window.  IMO the major thing that Pro 2010 has going for it is gamma correction.  If you rig, the presentation in Joint Editor is significantly nicer in that you're shown vertex weights visually (if you don't know what this means ignore it).

My Freebies

Victoria_Lee posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 7:41 PM

Get Pro ... I have 6, 7 and 8 but they aren't even installed.  I only use Pro now.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Acadia posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 8:18 PM

I have Poser 5 and 6, and recently upgraded to Pro.  However, I mainly did it because I beta test, and it only made sense to have the more current version.  Though, I haven't installed it yet and am not currently beta testing due to annoying health stuff.

Personally, if the version you are using now meets your needs, I see no reason to upgrade to something newer.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 1:15 AM

I used to use P7 and was quite satisfied with it. I've since got PP2010 and infinitely happier with the renders, the options of renderer GC and the really impressive stability of the programme. You do need significantly beefier hardware to really take advantage of this, though: my poor little Pentium IV 2.8 with 1 gig RAM ran it, but only just.

I now have a i3 (all I could afford for the foreseeable future) and 4 gig of RAM with Windows 7 64 bit, and it is a significantly better environment to run this programme in. Oh, the motherboard can handle up to 16 gig, so I'll be upgrading that when I can afford to.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

cspear posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 4:54 AM

PRO! Get PRO!

Once you've figured out gamma correction there's no going back. And if you have a 64-bit system there are performance benefits.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

KimberlyC posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 11:10 AM

I'd upgrade. I have P8 currently but I hope to upgrade soon.

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 6:56 PM

Quote - I'd upgrade. I have P8 currently but I hope to upgrade soon.

Watch for those specials, Ryus... that's when I was able to finally make the jump. I never regretted it... but yeah, the current pricing is pretty steep!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks