Forum: Blender

Subject: Poser Tools for Blender 2.5

Reddog9 opened this issue on Jun 10, 2011 · 164 posts

Reddog9 posted Fri, 10 June 2011 at 12:40 AM

I was asked by a private investor to update and improve my Poser tools for the latest version of Blender.  They're going to be made available for free to the Blender community as they're ready.

I wanted to encourage everyone to try them.

I'm sure there's bugs to be found but at the moment, I do not have a location to collect bug reports.

Reddog9
Tutorials, Samples and Models
www.blender3dclub.com

Pol posted Fri, 10 June 2011 at 3:53 AM

Very interesting Reddog9, thanks.

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 10 June 2011 at 4:35 AM

Wow, amazing, Reddog9... good ON you!!

Do the red dots mean WIP? Behind you all the way on these objectives: how awesome will these tools be!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

ice-boy posted Sat, 11 June 2011 at 7:09 AM

this looks very interesting.

where could we use this?

ice-boy posted Tue, 14 June 2011 at 3:57 AM

where can we use poser tools for blender?

PoalaVandel posted Wed, 15 June 2011 at 10:30 PM

Wow sounds like a plan I can agree with. I'd love to use Poser and Blender together.

NanetteTredoux posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 1:45 PM

Stunning. I am very glad you are working on this.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Reddog9 posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 11:28 AM

Attached Link: PT2 6/24/2011

I've posted the first collection of scripts that contains an exporter now.  It's working very well at the moment.  It needs more testing (that's were you come in) and I'll be looking at making improvements where possible.

Check out the latest news: PT2 Blog

Poser Tools 2

The thumbnails work for Poser but not Daz Studio for some reason.. I'll be researching that further when I can.

I'm aware of something I left out of the current Prop importer.. I'll be going back and fixing that soon.  A section that imports multiple external .obj files. 

Try it out.  It's really nice to be able to create a prop with just one click.

Sample

It's still a work in progress.  Just wanted to get this out so people could try it before I went away for the weekend.

SAVE YOUR BLEND FILE BEFORE YOU EXPORT!

Occasionally, blender would clear images generated within Blender when you try to export, so save your blend file first.  Not sure if this still happens.

I haven't checked it on another machine yet, so bare with me if there's some technical issues.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 12:53 AM

I posted an updated version that now works with Blender 2.58.  It's still a work in progress of course but the prop import and exporter are working very well at this time.

There's a new download location on the main page as well as some basic instructions as well.

Suzanne in Poser

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 11:39 AM

Update Posted:

Smart Props

This update to the exporter now handles parented objects as well as rotation locking.

PT2

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Pol posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 5:36 PM

Thanks a lot Reddog9, nice job.

Have a great weekend

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 9:12 PM

Wow. So I won't need to import items I want to articulate on a main figure (say, like a door in a wall) as a separate obj ... this is really good!! Thank you, redDog9. 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

Reddog9 posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 9:44 PM

Quote - Wow. So I won't need to import items I want to articulate on a main figure (say, like a door in a wall) as a separate obj ... this is really good!! Thank you, redDog9. 😄

That's correct.  That is the model I was using was a cabinet and 2 doors.. parented to the base in Blender, then locked the 2 axis in Blender that you don't want to show up in Poser / Daz. 

It's working very well at this time.  I'm looking at adding a couple small upgrades possibly before moving on to a Character Importer / Exporter.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Sat, 23 July 2011 at 10:41 PM

Prop Exporter Sample Video.

Poser Tools for Blender Export Demo 1 from Scott on Vimeo.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

kobaltkween posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 5:20 AM

i've tried this in three different versions of Blender (2.57 with Yafaray & Lux, 2.58 with Yafaray & Lux, and plain, out of the box 2.58).  none have worked for exporting with this plug-in (for me).  that is, there are absolutely no options for the exporting tools.  there's a heading Poser Tools, but nothing underneath it. i haven't tried importing yet.

i've tried following your instructions pretty exactly in an effort to make them appear, but nothing has worked so far.  the only discrepancy i can find is that you say to put the plugin under Blender > Scripts > Addons, and every version i have has Blender, then a folder with the version number, then Scripts > Addons.  but other than that, i'm stumped.  i just downloaded the most recent version an installed it just to make sure the problem persisted before asking about it. 

if you have any ideas about how to get this working, i'd be very interested.  this obviously works for you, and the way this doesn't work for me is so absolute that i'm sure there's a particular cause.   and i'm aware it might be very specific to my setup some how, because i haven't seen anyone else mention the problem.   i'm just totally in the dark about what the problem is.

kobaltkween posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 5:42 AM

oh, and i just tested import, which said there was an error on line 1252 of PPI9.py, that child_parent was referenced before assignment.

Reddog9 posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 7:31 AM

Quote - i've tried this in three different versions of Blender (2.57 with Yafaray & Lux, 2.58 with Yafaray & Lux, and plain, out of the box 2.58).  none have worked for exporting with this plug-in (for me).  that is, there are absolutely no options for the exporting tools.  there's a heading Poser Tools, but nothing underneath it. i haven't tried importing yet.

The latest version only works with 2.58 since there was Python changes from 2.57 to 2.58.  I had to re-write parts of the script to make it  compatible with the latest version of Blender.

Quote - i've tried following your instructions pretty exactly in an effort to make them appear, but nothing has worked so far.  the only discrepancy i can find is that you say to put the plugin under Blender > Scripts > Addons, and every version i have has Blender, then a folder with the version number, then Scripts > Addons.  but other than that, i'm stumped.  i just downloaded the most recent version an installed it just to make sure the problem persisted before asking about it. 

Where ever your Blender Addons folder is should work. 

Quote - if you have any ideas about how to get this working, i'd be very interested.  this obviously works for you, and the way this doesn't work for me is so absolute that i'm sure there's a particular cause.   and i'm aware it might be very specific to my setup some how, because i haven't seen anyone else mention the problem.   i'm just totally in the dark about what the problem is.

I appreciate the bug report.  I just set up a dedicated email address to receive reports.  Unfortunately, I'm down to one computer so I'm unable to test it on several machines personaly at this time. 

If Poser Tools is visible from the Addons section of the User Preferences menus, then you are installing it to the correct location.  If you're able to check the box to enable the addon, that's a sign that the script is starting.

Once it's started, you should see this panel listed under the Properties for Objects:

If it's possible for you, please send a screen capture of the console window of Blender that shows the error at start up when the script is enabled.

As far as the Prop Importer, please direct me to the specific prop you are trying to import or if it is a free prop, send it my way if that's possible.  There are many different versions of poser props out there and even though the goal is for the script to be able to load 100% of them, it may not be realistic.

Email bugs to:

pt2bugs@blender3dclub.com

Thanks again for the feedback.

I'll try to help you get this working ASAP.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

barri_allen posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 8:30 AM

Works like a charm for me in 2.58.

Thank you very much for the good work and the detailed information. Very professional.

Reddog9 posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 8:35 AM

Quote - Works like a charm for me in 2.58.

Thank you very much for the good work and the detailed information. Very professional.

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to hear it.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

kobaltkween posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 11:23 AM

i only tried 2.57 because it wasn't working at all in 2.58 (again, straight unaltered and add-on packed).  i turned it on just fine, got the Poser Prop Exporter section, but it's empty.  starting it from Terminal, i'm not seeing any errors for Poser Prop Exporter, though i am seeing two statements of it starting up.

"--- Starting Poser Prop Importer Version 9 ---

--- Starting Poser Prop Exporter Version 5 --" 

that's only the one i updated recently.  the one i installed not that long ago just said

"Start Time: 1311523850.675335
PPI.py"

as for the import, the first one i tried that had that simpler error was parts of the Cistern set by Orestes at DAZ.  but trying random other props, items in Ruins of Alecto (DAZ, PC) , Drinking Horns (DAZ, former freebie), and Satin Studio  2 (freebie that i thought was here, but has been replaced by version 3)  also don't work by have an error in the same file at line 1199,  which then refers to line 40 and adjust vert and says that it's not finding a key that seems to relate to the prop geometry (key "[insert name here]" not found).  the only one that worked for me so far was the RDNA Organics freebie props that are very old.  does it only work with props that have embedded geometries?

Reddog9 posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote - i only tried 2.57 because it wasn't working at all in 2.58 (again, straight unaltered and add-on packed).  i turned it on just fine, got the Poser Prop Exporter section, but it's empty.  starting it from Terminal, i'm not seeing any errors for Poser Prop Exporter, though i am seeing two statements of it starting up.

The last 2 or 3 updates won't work with Blender 2.57.  I'll look at the props you mentioned and test them. 

The script will handle props with internal or external mesh data.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 1:52 PM

Just to be clear, I assumed this but I better make sure..  the script will not read a compressed prop file.. I believe they are .PZ2 file extensions.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 2:33 PM

Just purchased the Ruins prop set to test for you. 

Packaged in the achive is the Poser Version of the props that you'll want to install inorder to use them with blender.

Right out of the box:

Front view:

The prop loads with textures.  The script doesn't utilize Translation data at this time, so after a few minor translation adjustments:

Blender Render:

Looks nice.

You may want to set up a dedicated Poser directory if it's not convienent to use poser versions with Daz inorder to use them with Blender as well.

Hope this helps.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 6:14 PM

I just look at the Daz files and didn't notice any difference.  Still appears to use the same .pp2 file and syntax. 

Based on the error you mentioned.. it sounds like it's not finding the geometry for some reason.  It's trying to adjust verts of a mesh that it was not able to create / locate.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

kobaltkween posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 8:16 PM

i don't use DS  at all.  i got this error from using Poser installations of various and unassociated props.  they are not compressed files.  the only commonality seems to be that they use external geometry.   checking one of my own props, it works on the early version that had the geometry embedded but not the final version with the geometry externalized.  i also noticed that it didn't give me the error that the RDNA Organics prop did, whch alerted me that it couldn't find associated textures.  i just figured that they didn't have textures (being old and pretty basic), but now i see that it doesn't say anything in that case. 

i figured that it couldn't locate the geometry, but i wasn't sure whether that was a built-in limitation or not.  knowing it's supposed to actually find external geometry, and that it can't find textures, makes me think the issue is paths and the question you haven't asked me yet: what OS i'm on.  i'm not on Windows, i'm on Ubuntu 11.04.  i went poking at the code when i first had problems with the exporter options showing up because i thought that path problems might be the reason.  i thought it might not be finding some sort of file.  i didn't find anything obvious, but i'm still guessing that might be the issue.  if you relied on Windows backslash syntax for paths, that might explain issues i'm having.  it might also mean there would be a problem on Mac or any other non-Windows OS.  but that's really just speculation.

Reddog9 posted Sun, 24 July 2011 at 9:44 PM

OK.  I'll make a note of this and look into it further.  I do have one other computer that runs Linux.  I'll look into this and try to come up with a solution for you.  I was playing with it a week ago looking to load Blender on it to work with, but I don't remember if there was a version of 2.58 available for Linux.  Blender's site is not loading right now for me to check.

I use to work with Linux and Blender quite a bit a few years ago and remember some issues like that.

For further reference, are you using Poser with Linux or are you just looking to be able to use Poser props with Blender?

Bare with me and I'll look in to it this coming week and get back to you.  Again, I appreciate the feed back and I'm working on making this available to everyone.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Mon, 25 July 2011 at 12:36 AM

You're correct about the error with directory syntax.  I had a few minutes to look at it in Linux tonight.  I'll work on that over the next couple of days and get it going for you.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

RobynsVeil posted Mon, 25 July 2011 at 12:58 AM

I'm impressed with this! Good ON you, Reddog9... I'm ashamed to admit I haven't actually tried your utility yet, but I will tonight (Win7, etc). And I do intend to use it in Ubuntu as well.

Metaphor of Chooks

kobaltkween posted Mon, 25 July 2011 at 2:22 AM

oh, thanks!  both statements are true: i'm using Poser and Blender on Linux, and I would like to move to either doing half of my rendering from Blender or almost all.  especially once PyNodes return to the main trunk.  Matmatic is one of the big advantages to using Poser Blender always has a Linux version if there's a Windows version, though the converse isn't always true.  they tend to support the OS community first.  same is true for a lot of the OS renderers and Blender exporters. you can always count on the latest version of Blender being available for Linux distros. 

i'm sorry i couldn't find the problem on my own.  i looked some at the code, but just didn't know where to begin.  it's a prodigous program. 

ice-boy posted Tue, 26 July 2011 at 10:41 AM

now i understand what this script does. it not only imports the object but also adds all teh textures.

can we also import poser figures with textures?

Reddog9 posted Tue, 26 July 2011 at 10:58 AM

Quote - now i understand what this script does. it not only imports the object but also adds all teh textures.

can we also import poser figures with textures?

I'll be working on Character importers and exporters next.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

ice-boy posted Tue, 26 July 2011 at 3:02 PM

i was shocked how good it works. it even loads bump.

Aardvark_ posted Tue, 26 July 2011 at 9:38 PM

I've been using the importer/exporter, and I love it. The importer has worked beautifully on everything I've tried so far, about twenty or so items in the freebies here at Renderosity. The Exporter is a little more touchy, but also works quite well, at least on my ancient XP 32 bit machine.

A few things I've learned while exporting to Poser:

All objects have to be UV unwrapped even if it doesn't use a UV map. Even a standard cube with a color wouldn't export without a UV map.

I don't know about later versions, but my copy of Poser 7 doesn't handle alpha maps the same way as Blender, so some of it won't translate perfectly. For example, in Blender, it's possible to slap a decal over an object with a .png or .tif with an alpha channel by checking the Use Alpha box in the Image Sampling tab, but in my Poser, I needed to combine a transparency map with the decal image through a blender node, then link it to the Diffuse channel.

All textures assigned to a material must be packed, even the textures that aren't checked, or the export will fail with an error message. "... line 583, in execute image = texture.image"

Materials won't import correctly into Poser, at least in my Poser 7, if they have spaces in their names, like "Wall Material". It has to be something like "Wall_Material".

Some of the values won't be the same in Poser. Diffuse Intensity, for instance, if it's set to .8 in Blender, will be the default of 1.0 in Poser, and it makes a difference.  

Procedural textures won't work. They have to be burned to images and packed.

I've only exported about a half-dozen objects so far, but they've all worked great, bearing in mind the above. I'm extremely pleased with the importer/exporter because it's just doubled the amount of stuff that I can easily bring into blender and because I've been making props for a Poser user, and it's been a pain for both of us working with .obj's.

Thanks again!

Reddog9 posted Tue, 26 July 2011 at 10:10 PM

Quote - I've been using the importer/exporter, and I love it. The importer has worked beautifully on everything I've tried so far, about twenty or so items in the freebies here at Renderosity. The Exporter is a little more touchy, but also works quite well, at least on my ancient XP 32 bit machine.

Thanks for the feed back.  I appreciate the list.  I sent a copy of this to my bug list email for the project.

PT2bugs@blender3d.com

I believe I'm aware of all of the things that you've mentioned. 

I've got a note about the spaces in the Material names. 

A Believe non-UV mapped items were working before (or should), I'll double check that one. 

The exporting of various settings for values haven't been added completely yet, they just weren't high on the priority list at the time, but can / will be easily added down the road a abit.

Textures do need to be packed, I added some pop up status messages and one of them was suppose to alert the user about trying to export a non-packed image, but that message did not seem to be working during my recent test. 

As for transparencies, from what I remember, Poser / Daz prefer using a seperate B/W image for trasparency definition.  You're right, Blender can nicely use a .png or .tif with an imbedded alpha.

The goal is to make it as seemless as possible to transfer between the programs.  Blender & Daz/Poser differ in the ways they handle the data, more specifically with the mesh data.  That took a lot of work behind the scenes to get every thing to end up in the same place.

Right now, I'm just about finished working on updates for Linux compatability.  Mainly, just having to deal with OS directory syntax.  Just about finished with these then I'll look at the things you've mentioned.

I'm hoping to hear from users trying the script out on a Mac.  Once I post the upcoming update, hopefully one of you Mac users will send me some feed back and let me know if it works.

PT2bugs@blender3dclub.com

Thanks again.

Scott

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

ice-boy posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 4:12 AM

is there a trick where i can save the figure in poser as a prop and then load it in blender with this script?

because manual laodaing all figure textures is a PAIN hehehe ;)

Aardvark_ posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 9:37 AM

Quote - is there a trick where i can save the figure in poser as a prop and then load it in blender with this script?

because manual laodaing all figure textures is a PAIN hehehe ;)

Heck, as good as the Poser to Blender importer/exporter is, saving Blender objects as Poser prop files (.pp2) just to reuse them again in Blender, is not a good idea. Blender materials aren't done quite the same way in Poser, so there'd be wasted time tweaking the materials to get Poser to accept them fairly well, and then bringing them back, you might have to tweak the material settings again in Blender to get them just the way you want. It's much better to bring in prop files, tweak them to get them the way you want, then save the .blend file with them in it.

You don't need to redo the textures if you save an object in Blender. To bring in a Blender object, complete with textures and all the settings, use the Append option under File. Click Append, browse to the .blend file where the object is, click on the Object directory, then select the object(s) that you want. Copies of those object(s), complete with all their assigned materials, UV maps, etc., will be loaded into your .blend file and your scene. You can also load in materials, lights, armatures, entire scenes, or whatever else you can see is there.

The only drawback to this method is that Blender doesn't allow you to keep thumbnail images of the objects in the Object directory, so you may not know what you're getting unless you open the .blend file itself and have a look -- or keep a seperate file with pictures of what the objects look like.

You can also, by clicking the Link box, link to the data in the .blend file, which means that instead of bringing in a copy of the object, which you are then free to modify any way you like, you have just the link to the data, which can't be changed in your open .blend file. In other words, you could bring in a chair and move it around and resize it, but it wouldn't allow you to change the materials or the mesh. That option is quite useful for large projects.

It's worth reading up on the Append and Link options.

ice-boy posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 10:00 AM

this is not what i meant.

i pose my figures in poser. now i would like to load the figure in blender. the problem is loading al lthe textures in blender on poser figures. they have a lot materials.

kobaltkween posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 10:42 AM

ice-boy:  here's a few techniques that might speed things up a little.  for one, merge the purposeless groups that all take the same textures by going to a material zone and setting it to one main one.  like setting the nipples material to the torso material.  second, in case you didn't know, .blend files act like libraries.  not a very clean method for maintaining libraries, but you can save materials in a .blend file, then use File > Link or Append to import the materials from it into a new .blend file.   i don't know about you, but i mainly use very few textures with some material tweaks.  about 4 sets of materials would set me up pretty good.  outside of making my own textures, which would be involved in any case.  for a third, you could pretty easily make independent figure parts (like the eyes, upper teeth, lower teeth, etc.)  into props or replace them with props.    that way you can use Poser Tools on those bits.  

you know what would be really helpful for figures?  a way to convert morphs into shape keys.

davesf posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 10:59 AM

FYI - for folks seeing an empty "Poser Prop Exporter" subpanel... it looks like the current scripts expect to be installed in the global scripts directory, not the per-user scripts directory. (i.e. the scripts folder under where blender is installed, not in your home directory) 

kobaltkween posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 11:29 AM

that's where it's installed on mine.  unfortunately, it doesn't help to have it in the right place if the reference to that place isn't correct.  the paths are currently Windows specific.  but Reddog9 is being incredibly helpful by working on that now.

kobaltkween posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 11:54 AM

oh, and just to say: sorry, Aardvark_, for basically repeating what you said about importing stuff from .blend files without acknowledging it.  you went over some of the more interesting points of linking and appending really well.

Reddog9 posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 11:56 AM

Attached Link: PT2

> Quote - that's where it's installed on mine.  unfortunately, it doesn't help to have it in the right place if the reference to that place isn't correct.  the paths are currently Windows specific.  but Reddog9 is being incredibly helpful by working on that now.

Ok my friend.  I just posted an update to the Importer & Exporter

I've tested on my Linux machine and it seems to be working well at this time.  There's still a few general translation (obj placement) issues to look at but I'm out of time for today.  Wanted to get the Linux fix posted asap.

Let me know how it work.  Also hope someone can test with a Mac and let me know.

Thanks,

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

kobaltkween posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 1:30 PM

yay! big thanks!  ok, this is what i've found so far:

the exporter, as far as i can tell, works great.   woohoo!

the importer seems to have some difficulties on my system i haven't quite gotten a grasp on yet.  it could import the Ruins of Alecto geometries OK, but not the textures.  checking on the prop file, the path only referred to folder within the Textures folder.  no clue why, but it seems a few DAZ items do this.  same issue with an arch from BRC_Cloisters, but again, not the textures and the textures have that weird truncated referrence.  if i can figure out how to do some batch file editing, i probably will.  the weirder instance was when i tried to import the SoulBringer staff by Aery Soul.  i'd chosen that because it had a proper texture reference, case sensitivity and all.  but it couldn't find that geometry.  i'm not sure why, as the reference seemed to be correct. 

what's really awesome is that it pulled in a whole bunch of items at once using one of those multi-prop .pp2s.  even if i have to take some time to deal with textures, well, i end up having to take time to deal with each material in Poser anyway. 

so it may be that now what's necessary for me to get optimal performance is batch editing of .pp2s to normalize everything.  which i'm not surprised by.   i'll probably do some more testing later to figure out what i can change to make the importer happier.  that said, as much as i want to work in Blender, i know that's not the common approach.  and until PyNodes return to the main release, i'll probably still use Matmatic (and therefore Firefly).   i'm not even sure yet how to make textures work in the renderers i want to try, anyway.   as far as i can tell, the exporter will make my life much easier all on its own as i make Poser props for myself and others.  and i'm not overly worried about textures, to be honest.  it would make life more convenient, but it's a much bigger deal to master lighting and materials anyway. 

just as an fyi, there's a "Drop to ground" script for Blender.  i haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to drop objects to the surface of another object you designate as ground.   just thought i'd mention it since it might help with setting up scenes in Blender.

ice-boy posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 6:01 PM

Quote - ice-boy:  here's a few techniques that might speed things up a little.  for one, merge the purposeless groups that all take the same textures by going to a material zone and setting it to one main one.  like setting the nipples material to the torso material.  second, in case you didn't know, .blend files act like libraries.  not a very clean method for maintaining libraries, but you can save materials in a .blend file, then use File > Link or Append to import the materials from it into a new .blend file.   i don't know about you, but i mainly use very few textures with some material tweaks.  about 4 sets of materials would set me up pretty good.  outside of making my own textures, which would be involved in any case.  for a third, you could pretty easily make independent figure parts (like the eyes, upper teeth, lower teeth, etc.)  into props or replace them with props.    that way you can use Poser Tools on those bits.  

you know what would be really helpful for figures?  a way to convert morphs into shape keys.

any tips how to fast merge two materials together? for example how to merge torso,hip,neck,chest,niples in to one material?

Aardvark_ posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 8:03 PM

Quote - oh, and just to say: sorry, Aardvark_, for basically repeating what you said about importing stuff from .blend files without acknowledging it.  you went over some of the more interesting points of linking and appending really well.

Hey, no apology necessary! We're all here trying to advance the cause and help each other out. 

kobaltkween posted Thu, 28 July 2011 at 1:39 AM

Quote - any tips how to fast merge two materials together? for example how to merge torso,hip,neck,chest,niples in to one material?

the only ways i know are already pretty fast.  in edit mode, you go to the relevant zones and click select until you have all the polys of the relevant material zones selected. then choose the material main you want and click assign.  or you can just assign the areas as you select them.  either way, it shouldn't take long to setup the 3 skin zones (whiich i'm figuring is the main issue).  i mean, still annoying to have to do every time, but not too time consuming.

i just checked, and it took me about 20 minutes from export import to finished render with Blender internal.  mind, it took longer than it should have because i:
a) didn't realize the texture i picked didn't have bump, so i had to look for one that did
b) needed to tweak my world settings for a decent render
c) was slow to realize that if i chose an existing image first, when i browsed for a new one, i'd start in the proper directory
d) felt the need to delete unused material zones as i went
e)  tweaking the normal strength for that bump map

just as a convenience, it's also possible to rename materials after they're set.  face and torso work as names, but i renamed the single limb material 3_Limbs. 

oh!  and iirc, if you use PoseRay to export, it bundles your textures with your obj, and Blender picks them up from the mtl file.  i've never tried that, though. 

ice-boy posted Thu, 28 July 2011 at 5:57 AM

i am thinking that maybe i will make a duplciate figure in the figures runtime. with changed material zones. so that when i already in poser have only 3 material zones for limbs,torso and head.

kobaltkween posted Thu, 28 July 2011 at 7:44 AM

that's a great idea!  you can just point a copy of the character file at the new .obj.   just like a remap.

Reddog9 posted Thu, 28 July 2011 at 10:29 AM

Posted another small update this morning that takes care of the issue of finding data files for the script when someone installs it using Blender's Install Script option.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

CHK2033 posted Sat, 30 July 2011 at 8:44 PM

thanks alot for this excellent script...helps my workflow in creating props alot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ima70 posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 5:20 PM

Quote - i am thinking that maybe i will make a duplciate figure in the figures runtime. with changed material zones. so that when i already in poser have only 3 material zones for limbs,torso and head.

That's what I've done since Gen 3 (I don't use all materials most of the time) I loaded the mesh obj in UVmapper then merged all the materials that use the same mapping  and saved as a coppy then edited the cr2 reference to te obj and the materials definitions, I've done this with almost with all the characters with useless mats for me.

By the way I think I've seen a Figure to prop python script somewere, but don't remember, I'll look for it if I find it then I'll post it here :-)

ima70 posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 5:34 PM

Hey Got it :-D

Convert Figure to Prop by D3D

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=50705

And works Great!

ice-boy posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 4:41 AM

can we  donate money? i would like to speed up the figure exporter with some money.

hehe ;)

GozerTC posted Tue, 16 August 2011 at 4:49 AM

Okay let me see if I've got this thing figured out.  I'm still way behind on getting add-ons put into Blender and tested as I'm still figuring out vanilla blender. :p

1.  I can export a prop and it'll end up in my props directory in Poser correct?  With the mats and stuff I did in Blender now in Poser?  If I configure the thing right.

2.  I can import props from Poser to Blender keeping their textures and all that fun stuff correct? 

My question is can I create a scene in Poser and then export it to Blender?  Or would I have to export to OBJ then Import to Blender?  I ask mostly since I can pose and everything in poser easily (I.e. I know what to do there) versus in Blender where I still haven't learned rigging and all that.  Thanks in advance!

heddheld posted Thu, 18 August 2011 at 2:09 AM

fairly new to blender so only tried this last night and got to say it is awesome!! well done and good luck with the rest of it cant wait to try it once its ready

ima70 posted Thu, 18 August 2011 at 4:45 PM

Quote - Okay let me see if I've got this thing figured out.  I'm still way behind on getting add-ons put into Blender and tested as I'm still figuring out vanilla blender. :p

1.  I can export a prop and it'll end up in my props directory in Poser correct?  With the mats and stuff I did in Blender now in Poser?  If I configure the thing right.

2.  I can import props from Poser to Blender keeping their textures and all that fun stuff correct? 

My question is can I create a scene in Poser and then export it to Blender?  Or would I have to export to OBJ then Import to Blender?  I ask mostly since I can pose and everything in poser easily (I.e. I know what to do there) versus in Blender where I still haven't learned rigging and all that.  Thanks in advance!

You can create your scene and convert it to prop then save it in Poser as a prop, till the figure importer will be ready, then import it into blender using this tool, then you can render using Blender Internal, Lux, Yafaray, PovRay, or whatever renderer Blender already suports

ice-boy posted Fri, 19 August 2011 at 2:56 AM

how can you convert your scene to a prop? i have tryed dimension3D script for makign a figure a prop. and it didnt work. i have poserpro 2010

ima70 posted Sat, 20 August 2011 at 6:56 PM

Quote - how can you convert your scene to a prop? i have tryed dimension3D script for makign a figure a prop. and it didnt work. i have poserpro 2010

D3D script works great for me with P6 P7 and P8 I don't have Ppro 2010, with this script you can convert every figure to Prop then save as prop and load each one into Blender, or you can convert every figure to prop then parent everything to your main figure and use "Include parented props" option of the script (this option is used to iclude let's say hair in the conversion) this way all scene will become a prop, what's the problem you have with the script?

davewa posted Tue, 23 August 2011 at 10:16 AM

I'm not at the right computer now, so I can't check.  But I think PoserPro 2010 uses a newer flavor of Python than P6..P8.  Possibly that's preventing the script from running.

ice-boy posted Fri, 16 September 2011 at 9:32 AM

Reddog does the script work for 2.59?

imagination304 posted Sun, 25 September 2011 at 10:25 PM

(bookmarked)

Ransardd posted Mon, 28 November 2011 at 1:51 PM

Seems great, but I can't get it to work is OSX. It seems to assign 'basepath' before its been initialized in line 157 of PCI1.py.

Pol posted Mon, 28 November 2011 at 4:25 PM

Hi,

I've got Blender 2.61 and just tried PT2 11/21/11. It doesn't work on my 64 bit Windows machine.

unbroken-fighter posted Tue, 29 November 2011 at 12:24 AM

has any thought been put into the idea of users that run multiple versions of blender and intermingling of files?

i have 2.2.1, 2.49.2b, 2.58.0, 2.6.0 and will have 2.61 asap and all of the file co-mongle from the 2.5 series to the 2.6

i abhore poser and find studio to be TOOOOO limited to even open most times  so being able to share prerigged models would be a godsend for me and might even tickle some freebie-junkies as well

kobaltkween posted Tue, 29 November 2011 at 4:34 AM

it's funny you say that.  i've often thought over the past year or two that the main things that stop a content community from cropping up around Blender the way it has Poser and DS are an interface for movement like the parameter dials (one already existing for morphs) and support for a library structure and an interface for it.  i know that you can link and append items from another file, but considering that a Blend file isn't the best way to store as much as i have in even one of the main content directories in one of my Runtimes, and material zones are renamed if an item with the same material already exists (annoyingly), it's more of a rudimentary solution than a full-fledged one.  a more robust, centralized library system that multiple versions of Blender could draw from would make it easier to share the already copious freebies and collaborate on movies, as well as support a content community.

ice-boy posted Tue, 29 November 2011 at 7:50 AM

woud it be possible to create an importer for a poser scene file with all the textures ?

so that when you would import it all seperate objects from the file would be seperate in Blender and all textures would be inside the material room.

i am asking this because everyday more people use blender for rendering or for using external renderers in blender for Poser scenes. i have not rendered in poser for months. so my worksflow right now is that i export every object as OBJ and then import it in blender. the more complex the scene is the longer it takes.

Reddog9 posted Tue, 29 November 2011 at 8:20 AM

The current version has been tested with 2.58 thus far.  After the 1st of the year, I'll go back and update it for the latest version of Blender before adding more to it.

Quote - Hi,

I've got Blender 2.61 and just tried PT2 11/21/11. It doesn't work on my 64 bit Windows machine.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Pol posted Tue, 29 November 2011 at 1:41 PM

Quote - The current version has been tested with 2.58 thus far.  After the 1st of the year, I'll go back and update it for the latest version of Blender before adding more to it. > Quote - Thanks Reddog9, you're the man.

3doutlaw posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 12:21 PM

Hi Reddog9!

I just found stumbled across that Poser Tools projects, and am very interested!  I see you are tackling material assignments.  That is awesome!  I haven't tried from Poser to Blender, but I have tried from Carrara to Blender, and materials seem to be the tough spot!

Would love to hear how its going!

Reddog9 posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 6:43 PM

I took some time off over the holidays.. but have started working on the project again.  My goal at the beginning of the year was to update to the latest version of Blender.  After a few test, I decided that an independent material file reader / exporter would be a great addition..  So that's what I've been working on over the past couple of weeks.

Quote - Hi Reddog9!

I just found stumbled across that Poser Tools projects, and am very interested!  I see you are tackling material assignments.  That is awesome!  I haven't tried from Poser to Blender, but I have tried from Carrara to Blender, and materials seem to be the tough spot!

Would love to hear how its going!

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

RobynsVeil posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 6:57 PM

Quote - I took some time off over the holidays.. but have started working on the project again.  My goal at the beginning of the year was to update to the latest version of Blender.  After a few test, I decided that an independent material file reader / exporter would be a great addition..  So that's what I've been working on over the past couple of weeks.

Mind-boggling! You're a Champion!!!

Metaphor of Chooks

kalifrago posted Thu, 19 January 2012 at 11:55 AM

WOW !!! i can't wait until you've finished the new version

i searched for a script like your's and was happy to found it, but unfortunately it don't work for blender 2.61

thank you for your efforts

3doutlaw posted Thu, 19 January 2012 at 12:04 PM

Don't distract with that Blender 2.61 nonsense :tt2:  I specifically downloaded Blender 2.58, just to wait for the materials tool! 😉

Reddog9 posted Thu, 19 January 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quote - WOW !!! i can't wait until you've finished the new version

i searched for a script like your's and was happy to found it, but unfortunately it don't work for blender 2.61

thank you for your efforts

If you've run in to bugs with 2.61, please send me what ever info  you have so I can make the corrections needed.. 

Ughhh..  just found out all my sites were Hacked..  :(

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

kalifrago posted Thu, 19 January 2012 at 1:54 PM

hello, thank you for your quickly reply.....

my problem is, i can see the addon in the user-preferences of blender but it's not possible to select and activate the addon.....

i guess it's the version 1.2 ?

Quote -

Ughhh..  just found out all my sites were Hacked..  :(

ooohhhhh, now i understand, i tried to download the newest version of your script, but after clicking the link, a blank site appears....

so i looked around and found the older version on your website, and it doesn't works g

sorry for my bad english g

Reddog9 posted Sun, 22 January 2012 at 4:22 PM

Working on getting a new site up.   The new script page is located here for the time being.

http://blender3dc.com/?page_id=9

The Blog page was undammaged.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

kalifrago posted Sun, 22 January 2012 at 4:57 PM

thank you very much for the link, now i can activate  the script 

now i will look around how it works....

good luck for your new site and i hope it won't be hacked in the future

Reddog9 posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 4:53 PM

Mat reader coming along well so far:

Basically, just select the file and load.   The script will determine if new images need to be loaded and/or if materials need to be created before applying them to the selected model. 

Existing materials with the same name are changed to new settings / new texture images.

As soon as I have a more complete version, I'll post an update.

With Blender's multiple texture mapping options and texture painting abilities, a Mat file writer should make an excellent addtions for phase two of this part of the project.

:)

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

3doutlaw posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 6:13 PM

So this reads the MAT's on the objects in poser and applies them to the imported objects in blender...???  Am I getting this right?

Reddog9 posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 8:43 PM

Quote - So this reads the MAT's on the objects in poser and applies them to the imported objects in blender...???  Am I getting this right?

The scripts are designed to read Poser files, ie .CR2, .PP2, .PZ2 (.MC6 soon / possibly) directly into Blender. 

The sample I'm working on now, Daz Millenium Dog, was imported via the Character importer script.  Default materials are created at that time when the character is loaded. 

The Mat Reader I'm working on now directly reads a Poser Material file, .PZ2, and applies the material changes to the selected object.  (The character must have the materials created & assigned in the first place which is what the character importer does).

It will change color values, alphla values, assigned textures, etc. 

The dog in the example above was loaded with the default colors via the character importer (The middle section of the dog).  With the material reader, I was easily able to click and load the textured Mat (The front section of the dog), then the all white Mat file (The back section of the dog) and easily click and load back to the default colors..

I over laid the 3 samples with Gimp just to create the sample image.

These are the pure blender renders:

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

RobynsVeil posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 5:01 AM

Quote - The scripts are designed to read Poser files, ie .CR2, .PP2, .PZ2 (.MC6 soon / possibly) directly into Blender.  The Mat Reader I'm working on now directly reads a Poser Material file, .PZ2, and applies the material changes to the selected object.  (The character must have the materials created & assigned in the first place which is what the character importer does).

It will change color values, alphla values, assigned textures, etc. 

The shader would be a basic ImageMap connected to Diffuse_Color, right? Or do you read any nodes connected to Alternate_Diffuse?

Metaphor of Chooks

3doutlaw posted Thu, 16 February 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hi, just checkin in, and seeing how your material loader was working out?

Reddog9 posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 10:35 AM

Posted an update this morning with the first material file reader version..

Give it a try.  :)

http://blender3dc.com/?p=113

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 11:13 AM

I'll be working on catching up the Linux version next.  If any one is using Mac OS and is experiencing problems.. please take screen shots / quote the error messages and send them my way.. I'll do my best to correct those, although I do not have a Mac for testing on at this time.

Project page is located here:

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

RobynsVeil posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 1:54 PM

Happy to test the Linux version for you... in this system, that's all I run, pretty much.

Metaphor of Chooks

ice-boy posted Wed, 22 February 2012 at 3:44 AM

this mat reader will work on any version?

Reddog9 posted Thu, 23 February 2012 at 10:25 AM

Quote - this mat reader will work on any version?

Version of? Material file?  I believe so.. there's still much testing to do. 

The current version of PT2 I've been testing with Blender 2.61 & Windows 7.

I'm going to fall back and work on Linux updating now. 

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

davesf posted Thu, 23 February 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quote - i've often thought over the past year or two that the main things that stop a content community from cropping up around Blender the way it has Poser and DS are an interface for movement like the parameter dials (one already existing for morphs) and support for a library structure and an interface for it.

I would really like to see this happen for Blender. I think it's a much more capable tool, it just needs some 'glue components' to make it accessable to the scene-composer community. My more detailed list of things blender needs are:

Quote - i know that you can link and append items from another file, but considering that a Blend file isn't the best way to store as much as i have in even one of the main content directories in one of my Runtimes...

I'm confused by this... You could have a directory of blend files, and link in a single asset from each blend file.

Individually, blend files seem superior to the poser-library because you can pack an entire prop into a single blend file (material, textures, and all)... In other words, a blend file can be a "self contained container" for all the parts of a single prop.

Personally I dislike the way poser/daz libraries are spread out by function. I'd prefer to see a single "archive" for each asset.. with some type information to help tie textures and poses to the models they are designed for. Then the library browser could show you only those assets designed to load onto the model you have selected.

That said, hopefully PT2 will allow interoperability with the existing Poser/Daz libraries.

Quote - ...and material zones are renamed if an item with the same material already exists (annoyingly)

I guess this is a product of Blender's flat material namespace. I'm not sure of the proper solution to this one. One solution would be to use fully-qualified material names, so the material name has some relationship to the library location. This would prevent them from colliding when loading.

Quote - a more robust, centralized library system that multiple versions of Blender could draw from would make it easier to share the already copious freebies and collaborate on movies, as well as support a content community.

Agreed. Blender could be an incredible tool for scene composers with a few tweaks. 

Prof_Null posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 4:38 PM

Hi Reddog9,

I have the PT2 scripts and Blender 2.58a on Mac OSX 10.7. Although 2.58 loads the PT2 Main script into Addons it won't let me tick the box to get it running.

Have I got something wrong here?  I would really like to get this working.

I have DAZ 4 and it would be great to be able to put my Blender models into scenes with characters that look amazing. 

I don't mind doing some feedback for you if it helps make it work either - and if it worked with the latest version of Blender (2.62) that would be even better, but I admit they keep updating too fast at the moment.  I wish they would slow it down a bit and finish the stuff they started so other devs can catch up. We only just got the knife tool back and that disappeared with the start of the 2.5x series.

Prof_Null posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 5:08 PM

Update: Okay, now  the addon works,  I only needed to take the main script and folder out of  the containing folder first !

Driftwood posted Sun, 11 March 2012 at 9:55 AM

Okay so after loading up V4 into Blender and manually adding all the nodes needed to get her textures to work in Blender I have to say I am really looking forward to an easier way to load the materials! :)

My question is, will these material importer only for the Blender Internal render engine or the new Cycles material system?  Or is that on the drawing board?

NanetteTredoux posted Thu, 15 March 2012 at 12:33 PM

Blender internal is fine for me.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Aardvark_ posted Thu, 15 March 2012 at 9:20 PM

Quote - Okay so after loading up V4 into Blender and manually adding all the nodes needed to get her textures to work in Blender I have to say I am really looking forward to an easier way to load the materials! :)

My question is, will these material importer only for the Blender Internal render engine or the new Cycles material system?  Or is that on the drawing board?

Yeah, that would be cool, but it would probably be best for any BI to Cycles conversion to be done by another developer for Blender, so that all BI texured objects and not just those that come through the Poser - Blender converter can be converted.

kobaltkween posted Thu, 15 March 2012 at 10:24 PM

Quote - Yeah, that would be cool, but it would probably be best for any BI to Cycles conversion to be done by another developer for Blender, so that all BI texured objects and not just those that come through the Poser - Blender converter can be converted.

That sounds sensible to me.

ice-boy posted Mon, 16 April 2012 at 11:54 AM

Reddog9 great job on the poser tools.

could you also add an option where we can import into blender figures that are already posed?  right now we have to export and then import into blender. could this be added?

thanks

Reddog9 posted Sat, 28 April 2012 at 1:48 AM

Quote - Reddog9 great job on the poser tools.

could you also add an option where we can import into blender figures that are already posed?  right now we have to export and then import into blender. could this be added?

thanks

The Character importer is still under developement.. The next release has a Directory Browser included. 

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Sat, 28 April 2012 at 11:40 AM

Attached Link: Poser Tools Update

The new directory Browser is included.  All of the tools are now grouped together under the ‘Scene’ region.

The browser allows you to set quick links for the Props, Character & Pose directories.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Pol posted Sat, 28 April 2012 at 11:47 PM

Looking good Reddog9

RobynsVeil posted Sun, 29 April 2012 at 12:06 AM

This is fully Blender 2.63-ready? Going to have a play with it right now!!!! And thanks so much for all your hard work on this, RedDog9 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

Reddog9 posted Sun, 29 April 2012 at 12:24 AM

Quote - This is fully Blender 2.63-ready? Going to have a play with it right now!!!! And thanks so much for all your hard work on this, RedDog9 😄

At this time, I've been testing / working with Blender 2.61.   Will work on updating what I have with 2.63 +.  It's almost hard to keep up with all of the Blender updates.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

RobynsVeil posted Sun, 29 April 2012 at 12:45 AM

I've followed these instructions:

However, I had to actually go to Install Addon... the Poser Tools 2 thingie didn't show up in the list until then even though I'd unzipped to the addons folder and closed and re-opened Blender. And it will not let me make it active (Enable Addon).

Blender 2.63 Final, Linux Ubuntu 12.04, 32-bit.

Metaphor of Chooks

Clg posted Sun, 29 April 2012 at 4:12 AM

Thanks Reddog9 for this add-on :thumbupboth:

Reddog9 posted Sun, 29 April 2012 at 10:02 AM

Quote - I've followed these instructions:

However, I had to actually go to Install Addon... the Poser Tools 2 thingie didn't show up in the list until then even though I'd unzipped to the addons folder and closed and re-opened Blender. And it will not let me make it active (Enable Addon).

Blender 2.63 Final, Linux Ubuntu 12.04, 32-bit.

Hi Robyn..  You'll have to bare with me.. I'll be working on Linux compatibility over the next month.  It usually takes a little bit to account for the different directory listing formats of Linux.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

RobynsVeil posted Sun, 29 April 2012 at 3:16 PM

No worries, Reddog9... take your time. i'll be happy to test for you when the time comes! 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

gustavoarmando posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 12:35 AM

Hi I've been looking for a program to render my poser scenes in vray or luxrender because I haven't been able to figure it out directly in poser and I came across this(but that's another problem entirely).  My problem is I get a error message that says "There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive D:." whenever I try to enable Poser Tools.

3doutlaw posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 2:13 PM

THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!  (caps intended, since I was shouting)

I loaded Blender 2.61, loaded the add-on, saved as default.  Loaded V4, added Lana Elite Material, render and BAM!  V4 rendered via Blender.  Never been this easy!

I did try making a new CR2 from a posed V4, and she still comes in as default Pose.

Is the Pose section of the directory browser for figure poses, like posing V4? 

With conforming clothes following the poses, are you thinking more of supporting only  dynamic clothes saved as figures, or are you going to try and tackle that?

...but again, great work so far!!!!

Now that I am reloaded on W7/64 with Blender 2.61, I can also help test things if you like.

RobynsVeil posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 5:21 PM

Rendering in 2.63 with Cycles and - hopefully - soon to come new SSS materials is definitely something to look forward to!

Metaphor of Chooks

kalifrago posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 5:10 AM

i'm pleased with the update of your great script !!! i can't wait for, sorry  

i know it's a hard work to keep up with all the updates of blender....

i think it's great, that you are doing this effort....and it's free !!!

thank you very much !!!!

btw, i can activate your script in the newest version of blender and it works, but not at 100 %....

activating the script is possible only if i unzip first and then copy to the addon-folder of blender......it doesn't work if i install the script by using the "install addon"-button in the user-preferences.... 

i can load a figure, though an error appears.....but the figur load in a wrong axis and too small.....also it's not possible to load a material....

i'm working on windows 7 64 bit

greetings

kali

imagination304 posted Sat, 14 July 2012 at 6:30 PM

(bookmarked)

LaurieA posted Wed, 19 September 2012 at 6:47 PM

Any news? :)

Laurie

3doutlaw posted Fri, 21 September 2012 at 3:59 PM

All this talk of Octane, Cuda and fast renders got you anxious for a little Cycles-ing?  :tongue1:

LaurieA posted Fri, 21 September 2012 at 5:19 PM

Quote - All this talk of Octane, Cuda and fast renders got you anxious for a little Cycles-ing?  :tongue1:

Cycles works pretty great on my klunker. LOL. I would just like to pull Poser stuff into it easily ;).

Laurie

heddheld posted Sat, 22 September 2012 at 2:56 AM

it can be used at the mo' LaurieA, just have a bit of fiddling to do in blender(last time I tried it I had to parent to armature (rotate) and I think had to reconnect all the image maps)

there is a script for DS that exports the full scene as .obj and prepares the mats for cycles(did have to tweak the images cos they was set to normal mapping instead of uv, but that could have been my fault lol). That scene.obj will open in octane ready to go, ok so I know your not a DS user but I think there is a script for poser that exports a full scene

ps Octane is so fast fast it makes your eyes water rofl

LaurieA posted Sat, 22 September 2012 at 10:07 AM

Well, Cycles worked pretty fast for me as well. Didn't make my eyes water, but it made me smile...lol.

Laurie

3doutlaw posted Sat, 22 September 2012 at 10:14 AM

heddheld, where can I find that DS script you mention?  Also, does the script reset the pose?  This was a hassle from exporting from DS I ran into before.

I use DS as my conduit to Reality, at least until November.

heddheld posted Sat, 22 September 2012 at 11:13 AM

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2877/

all the details there, dont use DS often an had a job to find the script after loading but it was under uncategorized

it just makes one object from the whole scene, pose cloth everything and all the mats loaded fine, for cycles I had to change all the maps from normal to uv mapping, but that mighta been my fault and for octane the only real prob was the eyes (all black) but Face-off says to change something for the eyes in his thread on octane

have fun

3doutlaw posted Sat, 22 September 2012 at 6:44 PM

Holy cow!  That script rocked!  Complete import, lights, materials, camera and ready to run in Cycles.  Thanks for the link! :thumbupboth:

RobynsVeil posted Sat, 22 September 2012 at 7:33 PM

Materials.

One can hope the DS and Poser and Blender and Octane and LuxRender and-and-and would/could/might/SHOULD, to some degree, agree on an open shading language... they could call it "Open Shading Language".

Oh wait, that name's been taken. :biggrin:

Well, maybe they could adopt it?

Metaphor of Chooks

heddheld posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 2:48 AM

Oh RV if life was that simple no one would need meds ;-)

@3doutlaw be careful with lights!!  not all lights are supported yet in cycles

RobynsVeil posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 3:09 AM

"be careful with lights!!  not all lights are supported yet in cycles"

True. Only sun is supported. But you can use the environment to light your outdoor scene quite effectively.

Metaphor of Chooks

RobynsVeil posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 3:18 AM

Oh, and as my avatar shows, the plane with surface as Emission, colour sherbet, strength 1.5 can act as a sort of light, as it does in that image.

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 6:20 AM

And I'd rather use mesh lights anyway ;)

Laurie

kobaltkween posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 9:48 AM

Actually, that's the main thing choosing OSL seems to have done:  unified its lighting model.  Shading and illuminating aren't separate.  Emission is emission, whether it's the shader for a "light" or a mesh.  Lights actually make more fireflies and resolve slower, in my experience.  I suspect because they don't actually have dimension.

PickledPapaya posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 3:39 PM

Thanks for the link @heddheld!  That DS plugin is really cool, and per the script, they do not mind someone modifying it, as long as you keep their copyright info in there.  I am perusing it over to see if its within my ability to "poser-ize" it.  I am a Python hack, at best...

Here's my first Cycles render! (click for bigger)

...and I modeled the glass!

Great tutorial: LINK

Learned more from that Blender tutorial, than all the reading on Blender I've done to date.  It just made sense to me.

I actually cut the render short, due to time...it's only about 1/2 baked.

PickledPapaya posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 2:02 PM

Update - @Casual updated to post on how to use that script with Poser, linked here

Have not tried it yet, but will today.

RobynsVeil posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 5:41 PM

Quote - Update - @Casual updated to post on how to use that script with Poser, linked here

Have not tried it yet, but will today.

Actually mcj's site is quite interesting, from a Cycles/Blender viewpoint. I'm going to have a go today - taking the day off from housework! (Yesterday was brutal ::lol:)

3DOutlaw made an important point:
"Poser does have a CollectSceneInventory script, which will gather all the materials for you."
... which will make putting all the textures in one place for Blender to find a lot less tedious (thanks 3DOutlaw - good point!) ...

... do have a few questions, though. If they're python scripts, couldn't they be run within Blender?

Metaphor of Chooks

PickledPapaya posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 7:02 PM

Yea, most of the scripts are installed in blender and run there.  The only one that does not is the one that exports the OBJ, creates the blender import Py, the batch file to lauch blender/import py and gathers the materials

I am trying to get a scaling export script for poser now (it seems to have that option) but it aint working.  I posted in the Poser Scripts forum

RobynsVeil posted Thu, 22 November 2012 at 10:42 PM

Right. So, I'm finally coming back to Windows (sort-of) and Poser (sort-of) after a solid stint in Mint 13 building my own Blender from svn and learning all about Boost and OiiO and CUDA and why OpenCL will take a while getting rolling in Blender (AMD isn't sharing their code, which is idiotic, they're going to lose Blender Cycles people left-right-and-centre because CUDA just works).

So, I'm going to have a play with your script again, RedDog9 and see how it plays in 2.64.9 (build 52402, which I compiled last Tuesday).

I have to say: I love Cycles! I love the fact it's so extensible... it's growing so fast, people are creating materials for it so quickly, it's hard to keep up. I've done some messing around in it, but I can't say I've been all to productive: even though I've coded materials in Python/Matmatic, I really don't have the conceptual grip on it KobaltKween has  - not a thousandth of it, really. And having those concepts down would really stand one to good stead in this case.

Metaphor of Chooks

heddheld posted Fri, 23 November 2012 at 1:51 AM

I couldn't find this thread last week!!!, wanted to see if he had done more work on it, did you have it bookmarked or sumat or you way better at rendos search? lol

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 23 November 2012 at 4:27 AM

I sort-of have it bookmarked in that I remembered RedDog9's name, and so I went from his profile to his site... to here. 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

3doutlaw posted Fri, 23 November 2012 at 7:38 PM

Yea, the project seems to have died, huh?

Boni posted Sat, 01 December 2012 at 4:23 PM

Hi guys ...

Can anyone help me with "activating" Poser tools 2?  I have Blender 2.64 and everything seems to be located properly ... but I can't activate it.  Also, I had to copy and paste the un-zipped file to the addon fold otherwise I got a path error. 

Thanks.

P.S. I am a novice with Blender.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

RobynsVeil posted Sat, 01 December 2012 at 6:21 PM

I have Blender 2.64.9 (build 52656 from svn, with OSL enabled). I followed the instructions from the wiki:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Poser_Tools

installed to the ./scripts/addons/ folder. The Poser Tools 2 addon is now visible in my list of addons, but I cannot tick the tickbox to activate it either.

Metaphor of Chooks

Boni posted Sat, 01 December 2012 at 6:25 PM

Well, RobynsVeil ... I guess we ait to see if someone has found a way arround this.  I'd really like to use the SSS feature in Blender as I do NOT have PP2012. :)

Boni

LaurieA posted Sat, 01 December 2012 at 7:08 PM

The creator seems to have lost interest, which is a real shame :(

Laurie

Boni posted Sat, 01 December 2012 at 7:12 PM

That is a shame ... but I was hoping someone here might have a work-a-round ... since it's open source and all. Just asking. :)

Boni

RobynsVeil posted Sat, 01 December 2012 at 11:36 PM

App abandonment happens, unfortunately (although I'm not saying RedDog9's giving up on this - probably just busy with other stuff atm). I'd invested in Q7Basic just recently to port my VBA application to Linux and Mac and come to find out the last time anything happened in that area was back in August.

:blink:

At least this is a freebie.

Metaphor of Chooks

Boni posted Mon, 03 December 2012 at 6:30 AM

Wow, that really sucks, I count myself lucky in that case.  Well, I'll keep trying to contact Reddog9 ... it hasn't been that long.  I would do it but I have no skills in programing ... Pascal freaked me out in college. ;)

Boni

Boni

RobynsVeil posted Mon, 03 December 2012 at 4:05 PM

In defence of RedDog9, Blender is an ever-changing landscape. There have been so many changes since 2.61, it boggles the mind. Cycles and OSL, BMesh, Retopo tools... the list goes on. Before you know it, people will have written some very clever SSS shaders and simplified existing BSDF stuff into combos ... it's hard to keep up, and I read the Easter Egg thread just to stay current (not that I understand a 10th of what's being discussed :lol: ... )

Metaphor of Chooks

Boni posted Mon, 03 December 2012 at 4:09 PM

Oh, I have no quams with Reddog9, I know this is an ever changing landscape ... I am just "desperate" to get something to bring Poser into Blender.  So I'm keeping my radar out there.  I'm happy that he has worked on this and hopes that he is continuing.  I like the SSS that Blender has.  I saw an amazing demo on it. 

Boni

klown posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 1:05 PM

Sorry about the necropost but does the most recent version of this plug-in work with Blender 2.65? I'm not seeing the tools in the tool pannel, I do see the option to import from the File>Import section though.

Boni posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 1:54 PM

Unfortunately, at this point, that is the conclusion we've come to.  Apparently the the latest upgrades to Blender do NOT support the Poser Tools. I've tried.  :(

Boni

3doutlaw posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 2:17 PM

Looks like he replied on his website that:

"I am currently unable to work on the project due to my full time job and other family duties.  I hope to continue in the future, but unfortunately, it is just not something I am able to do at this time.

Thank you for your interest in the project."

3doutlaw posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 2:20 PM

On another note, the project is Open Source, it seems.  I wonder if there are any Python guru's here willing to adventure into it?

#=============================================================================

Simplified BSD License, see http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright (c) 2011-2012, HEB Ventures, LLC

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

*    Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,

#     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

*    Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,

#     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
#     and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

etc...

RobynsVeil posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 3:05 PM

If it is figures you wish to import into Blender, there are other options, Boni. My workflow has been:

-- Set up scene in Poser
-- Scene Inventory (copy all to a folder)
-- Import scene as obj into Poser
-- redo materials for Cycles

For Cycles, I've got basic skin sort-of worked out, coming to grips with displacement and bump, and trans-hair appears to work reasonably well for the most part (if you turn off shadows for object for the skullcap - thanks, HeddHeld).

My goals are to get figures rigged in Poser and to get into more exciting materials via OSL. I know: lofty goals. :lol:

Metaphor of Chooks

3doutlaw posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 3:23 PM

I believe Ghid-ghid was lookin to get Poser rigged into Blender as well.  He has some pretty inspiring animations done in Poser, but has seemed to find Blender's capabilities now and likes em better.  Maybe one to watch, or drop a note if he is makin any progress.

Boni posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 3:29 PM

RobynsVell: That sounds great ... a little time consuming for an intermediate user of Poser and a novice at Blender, but I will definately look into your work-flow.

3doutlaw: Seeking a Poser/Python guru who would like to take the lead would be great. Your posts are offering up hope for a smooth transition. 

Thank you for keeping this thread alive with more information. :)

Boni

Boni

klown posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 8:26 PM

I'm looking to export, but I'm really just scratching the surface with blender right now so my stuff is real basic and might have to keep exporting obj's. I don't even know what half the obj export options do.

And I saw in the python window when I tried to activate this

"Event gives an invalid window"

if that means anything.

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 23 October 2015 at 7:28 AM

The last post to this thread was almost three years ago. RedDog9 seems to have gone completely off the radar. I don't have a copy of his work anymore - well, I might do, but it would be well buried in some obscure folder on a set-aside HDD - but am still interested in rendering Poser-posed figures in Blender.

Actually, my workflow has been: pose the figure in Poser, export base scene and figure to OBJ, then after import and scale in Blender, do all the refinements to the scene that Blender props gives capability to (such as grass and trees and smoke and - and - and ...) and then, put skin shaders on my figures, hair shaders on the hair and something for the clothing and then render: SeaStroll028.jpg

The process of copying texture files into a folder for use in Blender is reasonably trivial in Poser - it's that CollectSceneInventory script (under Utilities). Exporting the posed figures to OBJ: also trivial.

Appending the shaders from another .blend and applying on the figure: tedious. Until now.

I'm in process of developing a script that - with a bit of work - will apply shaders as sophisticated as you like. I.e, we can build whatever shaders you desire in script, then apply them to the figure.

This dead-simple script applies dead-simple skin textures to a V4 figure... only skins, so far. If you have Pixeluna's figure Syri and an exported figure called 'V4', you're laffin'. Otherwise, just change the names of the image and figure files and the path. Import the figure, copy and paste this script into the text editor, and after you've made figure and image file name and path changes, click "Run Script':

# simpleSkinShader002.py
# 
# Copyright (c) 23-Oct-2015, Robyn Hahn. Heaps of borrowed code.
#
# ***** BEGIN GPL LICENSE BLOCK *****
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
# Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
#
# ***** END GPL LICENCE BLOCK *****

bl_info = {
    "name": "Simple skin shader for Poser Figures",
    "author": "Robyn Hahn",
    "version": (0, 1, 2),
    "blender": (2, 76, 0),
    "location": "-= Not Even a Tool For Blender, Yet =-",
    "description": "Generates an idiot-simple Cycles shader for a Poser figure",
    "warning": "early development",
    "wiki_url": "http://0.0.0.1",
    "category": "Simple Material Script"}

import bpy
import os.path

# sets renderer to Cycles
if bpy.context.scene.render.engine == 'BLENDER_RENDER':
    bpy.context.scene.render.engine = 'CYCLES'

# make sure your figure is selected and nothing else
bpy.ops.object.select_all(action='DESELECT')

# First thing to change - change 'V4' to whatever you exported the OBJ as:
selObj = bpy.data.objects['V4']
selObj.select = True

# function generates node set (shader)
def buildShader(cImgClr, cImgBmp=None):
    selMats = selObj.active_material

selMats.use_nodes = True
    treeNodes = selMats.node_tree
    nodeLinks = treeNodes.links

# clears existing nodes, if any
    for n in treeNodes.nodes:
        treeNodes.nodes.remove(n)

# create nodes: Texture Coordinate and Mapping
    shTcd = treeNodes.nodes.new('ShaderNodeTexCoord')
    shMap = treeNodes.nodes.new('ShaderNodeMapping')

# create nodes: Image Texture
    sImgC = treeNodes.nodes.get('ShaderNodeTexImage')
    if sImgC is None:
        sImgC = treeNodes.nodes.new('ShaderNodeTexImage')    
    sImgC.image = cImgClr

# create nodes: Diffuse
    shDif = treeNodes.nodes.get('ShaderNodeBsdfDiffuse')
    if shDif is None:
        shDif = treeNodes.nodes.new('ShaderNodeBsdfDiffuse')

# create nodes: Glossy and Mix
    shGls = treeNodes.nodes.new('ShaderNodeBsdfGlossy')
    shMix = treeNodes.nodes.new('ShaderNodeMixShader')

# create node: Material Output (sort-of like PoserSurface)
    shOut = treeNodes.nodes.get('ShaderNodeOutputMaterial')
    if shOut is None:
        shOut = treeNodes.nodes.new('ShaderNodeOutputMaterial')

# Set node locations, roughly
    shTcd.location = -850, 300
    shMap.location = -600, 300
    sImgC.location = -200, 300
    shDif.location = 0, 400
    shGls.location = 0, 200
    shMix.location = 200, 300
    shOut.location = 400, 300

# Link nodes
    nodeLinks.new(shTcd.outputs[2], shMap.inputs[0])
    nodeLinks.new(shMap.outputs[0], sImgC.inputs[0])
    nodeLinks.new(sImgC.outputs[0], shDif.inputs[0])
    nodeLinks.new(shDif.outputs[0], shMix.inputs[1])
    nodeLinks.new(shGls.outputs[0], shMix.inputs[2])
    nodeLinks.new(shMix.outputs[0], shOut.inputs[0])
    return selMats

bpy.context.object.active_material_index = 0

"""So far, this will set the skin shader for any skin materials"""
for i in range(27):
    bPasteTex = False 
    selObj.active_material_index = i

# Next thing to change: this is a Linux path to my files. Change to suit ...
    path = '/home/robyn/Documents/Blender/Projects/AllTextures/AllSkin/textures/'
    matName = selObj.active_material.name
    matType = matName[0:1]
    if matType == '3':
    # Change to your Limbs file ...
        imgFile = 'Syri_Limbs.jpg'
        bPasteTex = True
    if matType == '2':
    # Change to your Torso file ...
        imgFile = 'Syri_Torso.jpg'
        bPasteTex = True
    if matType == '1':
    # Change to your Face file ...
        imgFile = 'Syri_Face.jpg'
        bPasteTex = True
    fullImg = path + imgFile
    img = bpy.data.images.load(filepath = fullImg)

if bPasteTex:
        newMat = buildShader(img)

Metaphor of Chooks

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 23 October 2015 at 7:33 AM

Oh, and no: this is not even close to a replacement for RedDog9's fine work. If I had a copy of his script, I might have a go at making it work for Blender 2.76 - unless he was keen at grabbing the reins, again.

No, this is just a quick-n-dirty lets-throw-some-shaders-on-V4-and-see-if-they-stick... thing. 🙂

Metaphor of Chooks

heddheld posted Sat, 24 October 2015 at 4:04 PM

I "might" still have it kicking around .........checked my drives(had a clean up recently went too ssd's)....but might be in the box of dvds (used to a packrat lol ) want me to look ?

jgwinner posted Fri, 03 June 2016 at 11:21 AM

I'm looking for the original blender plug-in as well.

Sounds like RobynsVeil can make it work, if not, I may be able to take a look.

Has anyone found it?

== John ==

Lobo3433 posted Wed, 08 June 2016 at 9:55 AM Forum Moderator

Might not be sure I am following the last couple of Post correctly but I do have two of the last versions of the Poser Tools for Blender for Blender 2.61 which I think were the last he worked on before the project was abandoned one is a PT2_4_28_12_blender_261 and PT2_05_10_2012_blender_261_windows these were originally download from his site before it went off line since I can no longer even find the site so if anyone wants I can always upload them to make them available for download

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

jgwinner posted Wed, 08 June 2016 at 10:11 AM

Thanks Lobo, I think that's what's needed :) If you could upload those, it would be great.

== John ==

Lobo3433 posted Wed, 08 June 2016 at 5:37 PM Forum Moderator

Hello I was able to upload one and add it to the free stuff area seemed the easiest way if there are any issue downloading it please do let me know https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/poser-tools-2/76373

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

kittykat98 posted Thu, 09 June 2016 at 4:50 AM

[Lobo3433]> Might not be sure I am following the last couple of Post correctly but I do have two of the last versions of the Poser Tools for Blender for Blender 2.61 which I think were the last he worked on before the project was abandoned...

I was in contact with the gent who was developing this some years back. He took a break from it due to real life getting in the way, but had to eventually abandon it for the same reason. The two sites that tracked it are long since closed. I tried all versions but they they never really worked well. It had a lot of promise though and it would sure be nice if someone could complete it. With Poser now using the same renderer as Blender, I'd love to see a closer relationship between the two.

Lobo3433 posted Thu, 09 June 2016 at 9:33 AM Forum Moderator

I still had this on archived hard drive and since I saw that some were looking for the file so I uploaded them here so maybe someone with Python skills can pick up where he left off and maybe get this working I know there is a simlar add on for daz that is in active development called Khalibloo Panel and that can be found here perhaps someone can speak to its creator or get some ideas in which direction to go with the Poser Tools. I have no python experience so not a skill set I have

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

jentron posted Sat, 16 May 2020 at 10:15 AM

I needed to import a pp2 into Blender 2.80, so I started working on the original scripts. I think it was always pretty rough, and the years haven't been good to it, but I have a version here: https://github.com/jentron/Blender-PT2 that will let Blender 2.8x load poser prop geometry and save as well. Unfortunately, uv's are broken as are materials in general. Definitely a WIP.

yarp posted Wed, 20 May 2020 at 12:42 AM

So Lobo, are you the orignal author of that plugin ? I've seen from the Github repository a link to your upload on the freestuff section.
Great idea btw

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

jentron posted Sun, 21 June 2020 at 5:04 PM

jentron posted at 5:00PM Sun, 21 June 2020 - #4389254

I needed to import a pp2 into Blender 2.80, so I started working on the original scripts. I think it was always pretty rough, and the years haven't been good to it, but I have a version here: that will let Blender 2.8x load poser prop geometry and save as well. Unfortunately, uv's are broken as are materials in general. Definitely a WIP.

I don't know how much interest there is in this tool, but my git hub version is getting better. It loads most props geometry and UV maps, I still need to work out a good way to find external resources. It usually bombs if there are external obj files and it can't find textures, either. Still a good 90% solution.

adp001 posted Mon, 05 October 2020 at 4:10 PM

jentron posted at 11:10PM Mon, 05 October 2020 - #4392661

I don't know how much interest there is in this tool

I'm very interested - but busy with another urgend project for the next week or so.

Reddog9 posted Fri, 08 October 2021 at 6:41 PM

Hello,

I see people are still interested in my script.  I haven't really used blender in a few years... I see they've revamp the main GUI quit a bit. 

I don't remember for sure is the Blender API changed or if it was a python change that starting giving the script problems.

I still enjoy programming in python.  I might be interested in revisiting this project in my spare time.  Doesn't Blender have some type  of prop library now??

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

kobaltkween posted Sat, 09 October 2021 at 10:16 AM

Blender 3.0 is on the horizon now.  It has been through at least 2 API changes since 2.58.  3.0 is getting an asset library with thumbnails, along with several other key features.

jentron posted Mon, 11 October 2021 at 7:02 PM

Hi Reddog9, I've got PT2 working pretty good for importing characters (PCI) the only thing I'm really not happy with mesh weighting. The prop importer (PPI) is ok. They both do a fair job loading morphs, materials, and armatures. I haven't really looked at exporting to Poser. One big structural change I made was to start moving functionality into libraries. Texture/Material loading for both PCI and PPI are handled by the same code now, and I want to move the OBJ loader into a library as well. The Poser Tools obj loader works a lot better than the Blender built-in obj loader and a standalone obj loader would be useful. Having the the mesh code split out will make it easier to support multiple meshes in a single object as well.

There have been a lot of Python API changes in Blender, I'm still working with 2.9.x I haven't looked into 3.0 yet.