Forum: Bryce

Subject: OT... Any old Amiga users out there???

skiwillgee opened this issue on Jun 30, 2011 · 11 posts

skiwillgee posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 10:33 PM

I know some of you had the old Commadore Amigas.  I owned an A1000, an A500 and currently still have my old A3000. 

I have a big problem I hope someone here may can solve.  I fired up the old beast today and was going through tons of floppys of old games and applications.  My particular A3000 booted off the HD that contained both 1.3 OS and 2.0 OS.  This gave me the option to boot either operating system and I could use it as a way to run downward compatiblely for old, old games. 

Well in swapping a zillion discs today and rebooting mega times trying to find which games were compatible I seem to have goofed up my boot block.  Normally the unit searches for a boot disk (called Kickstart) in drive 0. barring a boot disc being present it would then boot version 2.x from HD.  Well now this old machine has lost its way and it wants me to insert a boot disc in drive 0 before it will go any further.

I have thrown my kickstart disc away apparently.  I have some ROM chips containing Version 2.04 but never installed them because if ROM is installed there is no longer the downward compatibility.

**Now to my question.  Does anyone of you old hoarders have a kickstart 1.3 or 2.x disc you could copy and give me?  if not I'm going to try to install the ROM chip set. **

Anxiously awaiting a positive answer...

For the un-anitiated.  Amigas would multi-task and run on a windows drag and drop environment years before Microsoft dreamed it was possible.  And all this on 512K ram.  Boot-up time is 11 seconds.  **