Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Problem texturing

JIMMYJOHN opened this issue on Oct 05, 2011 · 13 posts

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 3:16 PM

texture no rendertexture with renderI have created some geometry, imported it in POSER, then applied some textures in the MAT ROOM. It looks great, but once rendered, the texture doesn't appear.

Any idea of what the problem might be, please?

NO RENDER

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/norender.jpg/

RENDERED

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/renderm.jpg/

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 4:03 PM

Uhhh- this forum doesn't get much traffic.

As it says above, this is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

But anyway,

This might be the result of texture filtering.

Which OS are you using? Which version of Poser? Which SR?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 4:58 PM

Hi Ted,

Nice to see you're still "haunting" the forum.

Sorry, I realised too late, I have duplicated my post in the adequate section when I realised but forgot to delete this one...

Windows 7, POSER PRO 2010, what's SR?

No idea what texture filtering is. I have just applied a jpeg as diffuse color.

Thanks for the help

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 5:11 PM

OK, found texture filtering in the advanced MAT ROOM, changed the option from quality to none, et voila!

The grass now appears fine in the render.

Sir, you're just incredible. Hat's off and once again, thanks a lot!

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 5:38 PM

Awesome.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 5:40 PM

If you don't mind, what does texture filtering do ? (Some -very- basic info is good enough to satify my curiosity)

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 6:42 PM

http://www.3drender.com/glossary/mipmapping.htm

Poser texture filtering is MIP mapping.

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 6:44 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3720011&ebot_calc_page#message_3720011

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 6:45 PM

Note that PP 2010 and earlier, the texture filtering was too aggressive.

A new texture filtering choice is available in P9/PP2012. It's called "Crisp". It's terrific.

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 7:58 PM

I may at some point. But I upgraded to 2010 x64 not so long ago, silly me , eh?

I'm very happy with it (but for the library window)

Silly question: how can I use "crisp" if I have to remove filtering for my textures to show? Maybe studuing the links you provided will tell me.

At the moment, I am attempting something: trying to render architectural projects in POSER instead of 3DSMAX.

It may sound stupid and an heresy but Poser is much more user friendly (compare camera & light management, for example) and in my view, the render quality at least equivalent.

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 9:29 PM

I don't undestand the question. In PP2010 the choices are None, Fast, or Quality. In PP2012 there is a fourth choice - Crisp. This is a new setting that keeps the texture looking Crisp - keeps detail that should be kept.

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 9:45 PM

Not a really important question, and I lack the technical knowledge to understand anyway, I way just applying a logical thought to the situation I'm in:

I had to turn off the filtering for my textures to show (option none), because they didn't appear when on (fast or quality) .

I was thinking the problem would reappear should I use filtering again, be it crisp.

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 10:11 PM

No. That's the point of crisp. The filtering (blurring) was too aggressive in the past. The apparent resolution is less than half what it should be. SM adjusted it and offered the new version, while keeping the old just as it was, in case there's a reason that people actually want it that aggressive. There are situations where you do. But you usually do not.