Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Am I insane to be trying this?

whoopdat opened this issue on Apr 30, 2001 ยท 8 posts

whoopdat posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 2:38 AM

Attached Link: http://3dmodelworld.com/tutorials/poser/paul/tut01.asp

I think I may be going a little past my abilities here, but I have a to ask a question first before I try. The link goes to a tutorial on making items "super conform." Well, since I'm having a heck of a time getting magnets to work right for a small chest, and after using Nerd's super conforming halter top, this looks like the way to go. I'm mainly just looking to see if anyone has done this can tell me if I'm going to be pulling my hair out or not. It doesn't SEEM hard, but, what do I know? The only thing I'm not real clear on is the initial export. Are you supposed to select the people model and then conform the clothing object to it and export it all as one clump? That's what it looks like.... Anyhow, feedback appareciated. May not have time to start it until the end of this week, but I think if I can get a thing or two done, it'd be neat and something the community could use.

JKeller posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 12:51 PM

While this is a really good tutorial, it's old. There are a whole bunch of tricks you can use now to make this easier. Let me know if you want to know any of them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "super conform." This tutorial shows how to integrate clothing directly onto your figure to make characters like the Business or Casual men and women. It won't give your any more morph options than you already have with conforming clothes...in fact you'll lose all the morphs for any body part that has integrated clothers.

What it does do is make your character easier to pose and animate. You don't have to worry about selecting the body part of a conform figure instead of your base figure. And since it's all one mesh you won't have as many poke-thru issues...though you still may have some.

Hope this helps.

Dragontales posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 12:54 PM

I'd like to know the new tricks. Dragontales

JKeller posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 1:09 PM

Well the best new trick is Compose. Once you've modelled a peice of clothing and it is cut-up/grouped to fit a Poser character you can use Compose to merge that object with your base character object. Save as a new object, point a cr2 at it, and your practically done...just a little JP work needed to get rid of unwanted distortion if the spherical fall-off zones are not big enough.

The other thing you can do is dress your character up in Poser with conforming clothing, export it as obj (with only the top check box checked on export), point a copy of the base figure's cr2 at it and viola! the clothing is permanently integrated.

The only part of this that gets difficult is if your base figure is a nude male. In that case you have to do some cr2 editing to get rid of the gen switch and the genital actor.

JKeller posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 1:14 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=10139&Form.ShowMessage=270101

In my first paragraph, '...pint a cr2 at it...' should read '...point the base figure's cr2 at it...'

For more specifics, check out this thread:
http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=10139&Form.ShowMessage=270101

whoopdat posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 8:04 PM

I'm guessing that tutorial isn't what I'm looking for. If you go into the free stuff directory, do a search for "halter." Item #5 should be Nerd's super conforming (EMC, whatever that is) halter top. What it does is it automatically morphs when you turn the dials on P4NW's chest. So if you turn the "small" or "large" dial up/down, the halter top automatically morphs to fit (within reason of course). What I'm looking for is how to do this. I haven't found anything on it yet, and Nerd's tutorials don't really cover this. I was wondering if perhaps anyone else had covered it or at least knew how to do it, or even how hard it is. It's a major pain to make the clothing "fit" right over small breasts using magnets, but this does a pretty good job (of course editing the actual mesh seems like the best way, but that's probably way out of my league, and possibly price range, depending on what programs would have to be used). Hope that explains it. Will check back in a bit and hope someone knows what I'm talking about. :)

JKeller posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 8:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.rbtwhiz.com

Basically that halter top has small and large breast morphs of its own. It then uses EMC (Enhanced Morph Control - now called ERC or Enhanced Remote Control) so that when you turn "small" or "large" dials on your P4NW, it will also turn the "small" or "large" dials of the halter top. You can learn more about ERC at http://www.rbtwhiz.com.

Unfortionately this technique doesn't get you around the actual making morphs part. The "fit" of the clothing depends complely on your ability to make it fit with magnets or a modelling program.

whoopdat posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 9:45 PM

I looked at Nerd's page again and read closely the tutorial I passed over. It's the one that talks about this stuff, and it would appear my initial understanding about how it works is how it works (meaning, no magnets, conforms to the morphs of the body). Spiffy stuff. I think I'll look into giving it a whirl Thursday or Friday when I have several hours to waste by ripping out my hair trying to do something I probably shouldn't be attempting. :) Wish me luck! Thanks for putting me back on the right track, JKeller.