Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Newbie questions.

sixsigma1978 opened this issue on Jan 04, 2012 · 6 posts

sixsigma1978 posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 12:49 PM

1. I'm trying to create a scene in Poser. I insert an Object (say, Ryan) in Poser - selecting the Main Camera - I can rotate around this object.

However, when I add a new object, say Victoria a little distance away from Ryan, I want the focus of the camera to swtich to Victoria- so when I rotate the camera - it should now rotate around Victoria. selecting Victoria as the Main body in the dropdown doesn't help.

How can I tell the Main camera to switch focus from Ryan to Victoria?

1. After manipulating an object (say victoria) - when I switch to another object (say ryan), I notice that the select all circle (the red circle in the viewport which I want to drag to translate the object vertically or horizontally across) - sometimes goes far away from the object (instead of surrounding it in red which you can easily drag like a halo as is when you first insert the object and select Body). This especially happens after I do a lot of drop-to-floor and manual translations.

How can I reset this "center of gravity" circle back over the object? 

This  is annoying as I have to scroll quite a distance away to locate the same translate body circle, instead of mouse overing over the target object itself!

PhilC posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:00 PM

Switch to the Posing camera if you want to view a particular figure.

You may find it easier to select the required object from the drop down lists then hold the shift key as you drag in the scene with the translate tool selected. Holding the shift key down "locks in" your selection so you will not accidentally select something else as you click and drag in the scene.

Hope that helps.

sixsigma1978 posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:06 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. Posing camera - I think that is what I was looking for! 

How about (2). I didnt really select any other object when dragging my target object. Its "center of gravity" (that selection circle that surrounds the object when you select the whole body) - is now half a screen away - but only for this object. Is there any way to reset or snap it back over the object? PS:  I wasn't dragging the scene - only my object within the scene relative to ground!

RobynsVeil posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 3:53 PM

I use the parameter dials window when things go crazy... you would just zero x- y- and ztran ... and start fresh.

I personally never really liked dragging stuff around with the translation widgets - too hard to control.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

sixsigma1978 posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 4:12 PM

So would you recommend use the dials instead of drag and drop? 

I would prefer drag and drop and use dials to micro adjust. Drag and drop with drpo to floor is pretty convenient - but I sure as hell would like to know why the center of gravity circle eventually moves far away from the object in the process and what needs to be done to snap it back around the figure rather than reset the figure's location to default!

RobynsVeil posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 4:45 PM

It's what you get used to, I guess. I found the dials (and typing numbers) got me quicker results than dragging stuff around, and I didn't end up moving something else in the process. I still need to get my head around using IK to advantage - I automatically turn it off. Probably not the right thing to do.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks