Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: nVidea vs AMD settled.. the hard way but good results..

Seaking406 opened this issue on Feb 17, 2012 · 7 posts

Seaking406 posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 10:12 AM

Though relatively new to Poser Pro 2012, I've come a long way with it but still have a lot to learn, which is half the fun. but the one annoying thing with this proggy was certain little glitches that made the process quite a drudge to work with. I would end up with 15 to 20 second delays when switching from render to preview screen (at best quality), and occassionally get the window in window glitch where only a portion of the preview screen was active and would have to wait for the rest of it to become active before doing anything. Happens often enough to make you need to reboot the system and start over again. I tried all the suggestions and advice offered but these glitches would eventually pop up again.. frustrating.

I always suspected that the AMD Sapphire 6950 2GB card I had in my i7 940 16GB Vista64 system was the culprit with bad OpenGL drivers but there was only one way to find out. Luckily for me, someone wanted my 6950 for his gaming rig so I went out and picked up an MSI GTX 560 Ti 2GB Twin frozer card.. 

And wow, NOW Poser 2012 works like it was meant to work.. super quick between render and preview screens, no image glitches, no window in window glitches.. the preview screen items move around super fast with no lag. Three full days of Poser work and no glitches or hiccups (knock on wood).. I'm impressed and happy with having changed cards.. and for me, well worth the change.

And the GTX games better too.. ;)

ProPose001 posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 10:59 AM

I have that one as well...Nice card.  Needs a good Power supply to back it up

lornix posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 12:07 PM

Good information. I have used Saphires for graphic design with no issues, but am currently running a generic onboard AMD card and have some of the issues you mentioned with Poser and Blender - only occasionally, but enough to screw up a render or two. Where I notice the lack of power most is when using After Effects - it can really lag when rendering motion graphics.

Seaking406 posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 12:47 PM

If you do find yourself in need of a new PSU (power supply unit), look for what is called a modular unit. These don't have cables attached to them but instead you plug into it just the cables you need to avoid having that huge cable bundle with unused dangling all over the place restricting airflow etc.

The nVidia cards also tend to give you a crisper screen look where the fonts aren't overly soft edged and easier on the eyes.

Cheers

vitachick posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 4:30 PM

I want one...Checked and it runs for approx 300.00???  Have two comps sooooooo

600.00??  WOW!   Gonna wait for my tax return and save for the next few years.

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

Seaking406 posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 6:13 PM

Quote - I want one...Checked and it runs for approx 300.00???  Have two comps sooooooo

600.00??  WOW!   Gonna wait for my tax return and save for the next few years.

Check with newegg.com and tigerdirect.com as one or the other has a $30 rebate and free shipping, and the base price for the unit is $269-ish or so..

I've been pushing it hard today with a complex story line and still kicking strong. (with PS CS4, yahoo chat and browsers open..)  What a sheer delight compared to before.

vitachick posted Sat, 18 February 2012 at 4:14 AM

Right now using NVidia GeForce GTS450...Sometimes the screen flickers. WAsn't sure if its the monitor or the vid card. Other comp Has GTS250. Both were newest cards when the comps were built. Be nice to have same on both. 

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D