Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Contests That Renderosity has For Holidays/Seasons

Ragtopjohnny opened this issue on Mar 24, 2012 · 14 posts

Ragtopjohnny posted Sat, 24 March 2012 at 10:56 AM

Hey all...

I was wondering if someone can give me a list of the Holidays that Renderosity celebrates with a contest? 

I'm starting working on entries now, (since I have nothing but time on my hands) and really want top notch stuff to submit. 

I know Halloween and Christmas is one of them, but do we know if the Fourth Of July Is as well?  Not sure on that one.  Haven't been a member here too long, so I don't know all of them that they have the contests for.

Thanks in advance......

Poser Pro 2012/3DS Max 2013/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Zbrush/

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

hborre posted Sat, 24 March 2012 at 4:18 PM

To my recollection, only Halloween and Christmas have themed contests.  And IIRC, images cannot be posted elsewhere prior to these contests.  Now Halloween is especially themed; they may have Zombies one year, Things That Go Bump in the Night another.  You may want to wait until those are officially announced.  You wouldn't want to create something that isn't close to their theme category.

Medzinatar posted Sat, 24 March 2012 at 4:29 PM

You also might want to check the "Contest Announcements" forum from time to time.

There is also "Community" forum for the more general events, not especially Poser

mysticeagle posted Sat, 24 March 2012 at 4:52 PM

i wonder why there aren't more poser contests when you look at the size of the poser community? not just for holidays......seems to be a terragen contest every month, personally halloween, easter, st pats day etc are too cliched to be of much interest, maybe a contest using one main purchased item and the rest made up of rendo freebies?

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

RedPhantom posted Sat, 24 March 2012 at 9:07 PM Site Admin

Quote - i wonder why there aren't more poser contests when you look at the size of the poser community? not just for holidays......seems to be a terragen contest every month, personally halloween, easter, st pats day etc are too cliched to be of much interest, maybe a contest using one main purchased item and the rest made up of rendo freebies?

Few people enter the poser contests. Someone tries starting up a monthly challenge about a year ago but only a few people entered the first month and it fizzled before it got started. It seems to be the pattern around here.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Ragtopjohnny posted Sat, 24 March 2012 at 10:17 PM

hborre, does that mean I couldn't post it in my Gallery even then before the contest?  That's a bummer --- but didn't think about the themed stuff too.  Totally forgot about that now that memory serves.

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

Acadia posted Sun, 25 March 2012 at 10:30 AM

As already stated, Halloween and Christmas.  And entries can't have been posted anywhere on the net prior to the contest entry. You can post it after the contest though.

Also, Renderosity tends to do a "theme" for each holiday contest where the image has to match the theme concept. For example, recent Halloween contests at RO were:

Dinner with the Dead
Don't go in There

Your entry had to depict that idea.  So trying to do images in advance for contests, really doesn't work.

So far as contests, there are other contests on the net for Holidays.  Back when Sixus1 had a site, they had contests. Halloween is my favourite "Holiday" so I entered and actually got an honorable mention!!! and some very cool Sixus1 products! :)

You just have to ask around a month or so before the holiday to find out where the contests are. 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Ragtopjohnny posted Sun, 25 March 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thanks Acadia --- I got yah. 

I'm really having a blast either way with this one, so I don't think I will be using it probably for Halloween.  I'm inspired by the show "Merlin"and the movie "Blade" while working on these.  I'll need a few more props for it though, gonna wait until I get my render rewards this time though.  Spent well over my usual amount this time, LOL.

You should suggest your idea for Halloween "Dinner with the Dead"  LOL.  I can just picture some of the entries,  :scared: 

But I think then I'll be doing these just for fun.  And my luck, as it usually is, I'll probably see it as the theme.  So I'll save my best out of the series for the entry just incase it becomes that......😉

Acadia posted Sun, 25 March 2012 at 11:05 AM

Quote - You should suggest your idea for Halloween "Dinner with the Dead"  LOL.  I can just picture some of the entries,  :scared:

Not my idea. It was a halloween contest theme here.  

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/contest/index.php?contest_id=829

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/contest/index.php?contest_id=1035

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Ragtopjohnny posted Sun, 25 March 2012 at 11:42 AM

LOL --- I did check it out though.  They gave great prizes away, that's for sure.  Can't wait to see what comes up this year.

bigjobbie posted Mon, 26 March 2012 at 1:32 AM

Don't worry too much about the themed aspects. There have been plenty of winning entries that have little or nothing to do with the theme - maybe some creative re-titling of the image, LOL.

It's really the judging model they decide to use that matters. If it's community judging, mostly people get one vote and they tend to vote more for A: images on the first page of the contest (the earliest entries) and B: images that register strongly as thumbnails (like a face/head). If it's voting by staff, then you need to match the theme etc.

So if you've got time on your hands, just do a bunch of "archetypal" holiday-appropriate images just in case you can be the first entrant.

Ragtopjohnny posted Mon, 26 March 2012 at 12:31 PM

Thanks for the advice bigjobbie, that's what I'll have to do.  Glad you explained how the Voters work. 

I'm having too much fun with the current set I'm working on now, not sure if I can save it for halloween, LOL. 

RedPhantom posted Mon, 26 March 2012 at 5:55 PM Site Admin

You could also collect as much content as you can for each holiday and then just assemble stuff to match the theme when you know what it is.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Ragtopjohnny posted Mon, 26 March 2012 at 6:20 PM

That's True too RedPhantom --- great idea for that one. 😄