Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Symmetrical Weight Mapped Bulges

lesbentley opened this issue on Apr 02, 2012 · 13 posts

lesbentley posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 8:35 AM

Symmetrical bulges using weight mapped bulges.

When I do a main WM for a central body part, I only need to do the left side of the figure, then I can use 'Symmetry > Left to Right' to mirror the map to the right side. This does not seem to work for bulge maps. Is there a process that will mirror a bulge map on a central body part?

P.S.
Also posted this in the Poser Technical Forum, but got no response, so trying here where there is more traffic.

PhilC posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 9:57 AM

Are you sure that it does not?

I've just tested, and they do appear to mirror. However I did find that I had to pay close attention to the bulge controls to ensure that what I thought I was doing was actually what was happening.

lesbentley posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 12:48 PM

> Quote - Are you sure that it does not?

I'm pretty sure that it does not mirroring left to right. I have tried everything I can think of. In the image above is the Poser Frog. Note that it is the Bend parameter and the weights for the "Right Bulge" that are being displayed. Also note that the "Right Bulge" is actual the top bulge, and the "Left Bulge" is actually the bottom bulge (Kafkaesque).

An exaggerated bulge has been made on the left side of the head (see arrow). I then used 'Figure > Symmetry > Left to Right'. Everything looks the same, the bulge has not been copied to the right side.

If you like I can send you the pz3.

PhilC posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 12:54 PM

Ahh I see. I was using the left and right forearm, I can see that it may not work on an axiel body part.

lesbentley posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 1:02 PM

Symmetry does work on a central part for the main weight map, but not for the bulge maps.

Cage posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 1:08 PM

Quote - Symmetry does work on a central part for the main weight map, but not for the bulge maps.

This is correct.  There are still some bugs in the process, which AFAIK have been reported more than once to the Poser Team.  I have a script which can fix the problem, but it isn't ready for a full public release as some cases can still exist where the script encounters errors with bulge maps.  :unsure:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

JAFO posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 1:52 PM

im seeing this same type effect when mirroring morphs on V4's chest , i get a symetry warning and errant vertices show up(lumps)...is there a chance that the problem area may not be perfectly symetrical?...

:O)

Y'all have a great day.

Teyon posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 2:32 PM

The team's aware. We've been asking - and I don't know how easy it is to make happen or how close to being done - if the mirror could work on an axis instead of requiring the left/right markers of body parts as it seems to. This would allow mirroring across a solid mass like the torso.

lesbentley posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 4:00 PM

Teyon,

As it seems to work OK for the main map, I wonder why they can't just handle the bulge maps the same as the main map. Is it because bulges seem to have their own definition of left and right that does not always correspond to the real left and right?

Cage posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 4:31 PM

Poser's internal handling of bulge maps seems a bit strange.  I found that naming oddities were common, making it potentially difficult to determine which map corresponded to which actor.  In addition there is the ambiguity of using "right" and "left" in the internal designations.

There can also be bulge map errors at a weld seam when the map extends beyond the actor which owns it and the parent of that actor.  Poser's weight map system is mostly there, but there do seem to be some bugs yet to be worked out.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Teyon posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 4:44 PM

Quote - Teyon,

As it seems to work OK for the main map, I wonder why they can't just handle the bulge maps the same as the main map. Is it because bulges seem to have their own definition of left and right that does not always correspond to the real left and right?

Larry's been tackling it off and on - I can't really comment more than that without violating NDA and because I honestly don't know the full technical details (I'm no longer rigging at work) but I do know it's something we're super aware of since Darrell and I have to deal with the problem when making content for the app. So it's being looked at and worked on but like everyone's noticed, there's some oddities that may make it difficult to just "fix".

lesbentley posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 6:57 PM

Teyon,

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Teyon posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 8:52 PM

anytime.