Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Problem installing vicky 4 on Windows 7 Error reading INI file

dwj012754 opened this issue on Apr 27, 2012 · 6 posts

dwj012754 posted Fri, 27 April 2012 at 7:45 AM

My previous laptop which ran Windows XP died, and the new one is Windows 7.  When I installed Poser 9, it defaulted to c:Program Files (x86)...    The program came up, but when I attempted to install Vicky 4, I got this error 'Error reading INI file C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesDAZdzInstall.ini.

Based on similar problem resolutions, I deleted Poser 9 and reinstalled in the root directory under c:Smith MicroPoser 9.  The program came up, but when I tried to install Vicky 4, it gives the exact same error message about the dzInstall.ini file mentioned above.

I have tried finding the file and even searched the registry with 'regedit', but cannot find a way to make the install program for DAZ look in the new location.

Has anyone else solved this problem and can give me a clue to get my content into the new Poser 9 installation?

basicwiz posted Fri, 27 April 2012 at 7:49 AM

In Windows explorer, create this exact path, ending with a blank file dzInstall.ini created with a text editor.

Should fix you right up.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 27 April 2012 at 7:56 AM

bw has told you a solution, but I wanted to clarify a couple misunderstandings implied by the original post.

1. "I deleted Poser 9 and reinstalled" - this was pointless, as the daz installer is looking for evidence of previous uses of the daz installer - not Poser.

2) "I have tried finding the file" - and so was the installer - the error it was giving was that the file doesn't exist. Looking for it elsewhere wasn't going to do any good. The installer needs it to exist exactly in the path it stated: .../Common Files/DAZ/dzInstall.ini 

1. This is happening having nothing to do with Poser. It's happening because DAZ made an install utility that violates Windows 7 rules. It is not allowed to create files in Program Files. The reason Poser 9 doesn't keep its runtime in Program Files is exactly that - installers are not allowed to modify Program Files content. DAZ should have updated these installers two years ago but they just don't bother. As a result, we (in this forum) have to explain this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

2. Your solution is to manually work around the installer's stupid requirement. All it cares about (for no good reason) is that the specified file needs to exist. This is completely artificial and has no consequences of any kind, other than letting you finish the installation. The actual contents of this dzInstall.ini file is absolutely unimportant. All you have to do is cause such a file to exist. The easiest way is to open notepad and then File/Save and give that path.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

dwj012754 posted Fri, 27 April 2012 at 8:05 AM

Thanks very much for the reply.  I did create an empty file with the exact path and name and then the dialog popped up to allow me to browse to the new runtime location.

I had searched for the problem in the forums and you had several posts on the subject.  This response was perfect for me.  I appreciate the help.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 27 April 2012 at 8:09 AM

Excellent!

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

RHaseltine posted Fri, 27 April 2012 at 8:55 AM

Strictly, since it's an installer the dzintall.ini file could be edited or created just fine - the problem with content in the application folder is that applications shouldn't routinely run with admin rights, as Poser would need to to be able to add files to the content library (this applies to most of the content focussed applications - Poser, DS, Carrara, Vue etc.). In any event the recent installers don't create the file there, and the error of failing if the file doesn't exist has also been fixed - but that leaves the legacy installers that do need the blank file trick if you run one of the badly set up ones on a clean machine.