Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: your longest render ever?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Aug 22, 2012 · 73 posts

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 7:50 AM

a render i started at 23:30 Monday night is still running.  and i even bumped the bounces down to 12

i wanted to try the ezmetals, i used a few of them in the render.
and the new Kez-wm figure.

it’s more than half done, but still a ways to go.

i still have my 32bitz pc, to keep playing poser while the 64 bits is running, but once doing 64, it's hard to go back to 32.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

LaurieA posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 7:53 AM

OMG...why so many bounces? You can get away with 4 or 2 in most scenes. Unless you have a mirror looking in a mirror looking in a mirror with glassware sitting around. Metal only needs two - one to bounce to and one to bounce back. I've never, and I do mean never, used more than 6. LOL. 4 would be plenty.

Laurie

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:09 AM

i'm enamored of the 20 bounces.  but glad i went down to 12 for this one.  lol

the ezmetal is looking pretty good, it looks like blurred reflects

found these really kewl lamps to try the shaders on:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/57361/gallery/11/Poser/Tentalamp-%28Poser-8+%29

and on really kewl dragon throne
http://www.sharecg.com/v/57939/gallery/11/Poser/Dragon-Throne

and a pretty dynamic dress - not for the metals, but the colors make a pretty backdrop
http://www.sharecg.com/v/50312/gallery/11/Poser/Sleevewings-dress-%28Poser-only%29

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

hborre posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:10 AM

10 is usually recommended for DoF renders where the background needs better pixel resolution.  Sounds like you are shooting for ultra sharpness.

vilters posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:19 AM

OMG !!!!!!

All my test renders are at bounces 1 :-)
Some go as super high as 2 :-) LOL

Only use 3 for "mirror" things, and 2 would be plenty for a single mirror.

If I really need detail, i would go to 4. => Once a month or so.

LauriA is right here, 20 is WAAAAYYYYYYY overkill.

Too few AAAAA's and YYYYY's here, sorry LOL.

Hey,,,, NICE?  I like KEZ too.
Might even do a full body morph for her.....She deserves it.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:24 AM

did you notice, her head morphs include tears? 

they come up out of her bottom eyelid.

vilters posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:26 AM

PS, question??? Are we talking Raytrace bounces here or pixel samples????

Seems some confusion here? And if you hover your mouse over the number ?

In the lower part of the screen behind the Help? The description adapts to where you are hovering over.

vilters posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:29 AM

Yes, I did see the tears.. :-)

KEZ is a wonderfull figure. Some great face morphs too.
And nice clothing.. A very nice job, and that quality for free??? WHAW.

Respect.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:32 AM

raytrace bounces - set to 12,  pixel samples - set to 10. 

ever since BB mentioned the render settings script and 20 bounces, :wub:

vilters posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:40 AM

Yeah, that is going for MAX performance :-) => Loooooooong render times :-)

20 bounces??????????????????????????

BB??????????????????????????????????

That just "might" be his first .... Oh he's gonna kill me :-)

Even D3D script maxes out at 12 bounces.......................

LaurieA posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:46 AM

I don't recall BB ever saying 20 bounces if you're using the regular render settings. He may have mentioned it for something in D3D's render script, but even then I doubt he meant 20 raytrace bounces. Ya just will never need that many.

Laurie

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quote - Yeah, that is going for MAX performance :-) => Loooooooong render times :-)

20 bounces??????????????????????????

BB??????????????????????????????????

That just "might" be his first .... Oh he's gonna kill me :-)

Even D3D script maxes out at 12 bounces.......................

it lets you type over the 12 to change it to 20.  !

TheAnimaGemini posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 9:56 AM

I just yesterday did a render with two Glass decanter 12 .5 hours..but Raytrace bounce 6 and this is really the maximum. 

Usually I use not more than 4; but with this props it was needed 6. ( I try 4-5 but the result was not good)

12? 20? Wow.  : scared:

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

NanetteTredoux posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:00 AM

Not Poser, but worthy of mention. Bryce 7 Pro, some trees and a misty atmosphere. two weeks. I don't use Bryce any more.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

TheAnimaGemini posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:02 AM

Quote - Not Poser, but worthy of mention. Bryce 7 Pro, some trees and a misty atmosphere. two weeks. I don't use Bryce any more.

LOL Two weeks would scare me away too. 

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:06 AM

MLP said 20 - I said two or one. It was in the thread accusing SR3 of being a CPU hog. I pointed out that reflections of reflections of reflections is expensive, and it may be more expensive now that SR3 tries to do reflection of blurred reflections.

After I said to drop to 1 bounce, MLP, you asked something about 20. I didn't respond because I thought you were joking.

Also - please don't confuse reflection bounces with IDL bounces. They are the same in the standard render settings dialog, but I don't use the standard dialog.

When I can see reflections of reflections, and there's a dead black spot if I have only one bounce, then I use 2. But usually I use 1.

For IDL bounces - a different number- I usually use 4 to 6 when indoors, 1 or 2 outdoors.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:09 AM

On the other hand, and I've said this many many times but nobody repeats it so it must not be sinking into your heads:

Raytrace bounces don't cost anything if THEY DO NOT HAPPEN.

Example: you put a mirror in a scene, but everything else has no reflection.

That mirror will bounce ONCE, even if you set it to 20. There is no place else to bounce to.

So - high bounces is a limit, not a setting.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

TheAnimaGemini posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:10 AM

I was wondering too BB. I usually read all your posts and I can not remember you give this advice with 20 Bounces. 

― Marcus Aurelius,

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:11 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2854952&page=2#message_3974218

A few posts down from my post, MLP asked about 20 bounces. I did not answer.

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:14 AM

Look here for very clear multi-bounce demonstrations.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3901756&ebot_calc_page#message_3901756

In that thread, I said

Quote - That is at the heart of it. If you have nothing in the scene to reflect, then it is not doing reflection, even if you set the bounces to 20. This has always been the case.

That was not the same as saying "You should use 20 bounces."

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:22 AM

So in other words, if I put a mirror in a scene and there is nothing in front of it, then the bounces set at 4 or 5 (or 20) mean nothing. If there is something in front of the mirror, then 1 or 2 bounces should be enough.

Repeated just so that I can make sure I understand this in my mind.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:33 AM

I'm looking through my bookmarks, there was a thread with a chess piece in a courtyard.  mirrors in a mirror?  and i asked why more bounces looked darker.  there was math.

It was after that thread i started using 20 bounces as my final render default. :wub:

To my eyes the renders look richer.   final pngs usually come out to 3 - 10 mbs, so i can't post those renders in the gallery.
the last 2 Miki3 renders in my gallery are 12 bounces, but these are reduced jpgs.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:34 AM

Quote - So in other words, if I put a mirror in a scene and there is nothing in front of it, then the bounces set at 4 or 5 (or 20) mean nothing. If there is something in front of the mirror, then 1 or 2 bounces should be enough.

but, what if you have metals with blurred reflections?

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:43 AM

Quote - > Quote - So in other words, if I put a mirror in a scene and there is nothing in front of it, then the bounces set at 4 or 5 (or 20) mean nothing. If there is something in front of the mirror, then 1 or 2 bounces should be enough.

Then I am not the one to ask... I get this stuff wrong way more than I get it right. I am going to default to BB. I still can't get his EZMetals to render correctly. I did a wolverine yesterday using his stainless steel materials for the blades. They rendered black because I screwed something up in the render settings...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:46 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - So in other words, if I put a mirror in a scene and there is nothing in front of it, then the bounces set at 4 or 5 (or 20) mean nothing. If there is something in front of the mirror, then 1 or 2 bounces should be enough.

Then I am not the one to ask... I get this stuff wrong way more than I get it right. I am going to default to BB. I still can't get his EZMetals to render correctly. I did a wolverine yesterday using his stainless steel materials for the blades. They rendered black because I screwed something up in the render settings...

there is an ezmetals on Snarly's forum.  ?

maybe you need a specular light?

(this render has 20 r/t bounces. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2311667  it only took 1/2 hour but there's no metals.)

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:51 AM

I am not sure what I did. Any yeah, it was Snarly's materials I was referring to. I am still working on that render. I attempted to use my preset, and it told me that there was a memory problem. Ever since the SR3, I have been having issues.

Blackhearted posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:05 AM

20 bounces? wtf? what are you rendering, the mirror fight scene from Enter the Dragon?

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:19 AM

actually, i down bumped my longest render to 12 bounces. 

and i'm using a light set that came with Anastasia.   😄

irradiance 100 minshade 0 bounces 12

how long was your longest render?

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:21 AM

Quote - I'm looking through my bookmarks, there was a thread with a chess piece in a courtyard.  mirrors in a mirror?  and i asked why more bounces looked darker.  there was math.

Yes two parallel mirrors and you can see 40 bounces - perhaps even 100. But I already said that. If you have reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections you need 5 bounces.

If you have reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections  then you need 10 bounces.

But if you do not have reflections of reflections (at least) then two bounces is exactly the same as one.

monkeycloud posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote - 20 bounces? wtf? what are you rendering, the mirror fight scene from Enter the Dragon?

ROFLMAO! :lol:

That'd be some render...

Actually that's a frickin' excellent idea for what to do next with Geriatric Ninja Doris...

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:23 AM

Quote - > Quote - So in other words, if I put a mirror in a scene and there is nothing in front of it, then the bounces set at 4 or 5 (or 20) mean nothing. If there is something in front of the mirror, then 1 or 2 bounces should be enough.

Then two is usually enough. Blurred reflections are weak. Each bounce is usually 10 times weaker than the previous. So the first bounce is 10% bright, the second is 1% bright, the third is .1% bright - already too dark to be seen by the naked eye.

If it's really shiny, then maybe you need 3.

Maybe you need 3, you want 20, you ask for 12, and you're getting 6.

Don't confuse the concepts need, want, ask for, and getting. All four have been jumbled together in this thread.

aRtBee posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:35 AM

I was just triggered by the thread title, and some posts on reflections. My longest renders

- in 2003, a say 3.5 minutes short "Mirror in Mirror"
Go http://www.artb.artbeeweb.nl/e107_expose/expose.php?album=10 and pick the middle one. 5200 frames, longest one (used for the thumbnail) took 20 hours, average 6 hours each. Using 4 parallel high end PC's (single threaded 1.8GHz 512Mb RAM), this made 2 months continous rendering for the final result. Raytrace bounces must have been 20 or so. Cinema4D.

- in 2011, go http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2275041 . Single 7000x5000 on current 12core@4GHz 24GB Ram macine, 48 hours sharp. Vue.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

monkeycloud posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:40 AM

My longest Vue render was between 5 and 6 days... I lost track of the hours.

Longest Poser render, probably about 3-4 days...

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:48 AM

I get mad when a render takes 30 minutes... except for animation renders. I don't render to .avi, only to image files, and they are 1920 x 1080 dpi, so a 300 frame render can take more than 3 or 4 days because I will do it in chunks.

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quote - > Quote - 20 bounces? wtf? what are you rendering, the mirror fight scene from Enter the Dragon?

That'd be some render...

Actually that's a frickin' excellent idea for what to do next with Geriatric Ninja Doris...

Oh.... my god...

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:52 AM

I think the worst part is she is wearing the GND bikini....

monkeycloud posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:11 PM

Quote - I think the worst part is she is wearing the GND bikini....

Just the V4 Basicwear one actually. The GND one is an altogether slinkier, more sophisticated number far as I can see.

I was just amazed how well it conformed to the character morph to be honest, in SR3...

...didn't have to do anything other than drag it onto her from the library.

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:22 PM

Quote - > Quote - I think the worst part is she is wearing the GND bikini....

Just the V4 Basicwear one actually. The GND one is an altogether slinkier, more sophisticated number far as I can see.

I was just amazed how well it conformed to the character morph to be honest, in SR3...

...didn't have to do anything other than drag it onto her from the library.

Make sure you post the render if you do the ETD mirror scene. I'd like to see that... :biggrin:

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:44 PM

are light bounces and reflect bounces the same thing?

or are they calculated in separate bounces?

moriador posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:46 PM

Geriatric Ninja Doris...

Aweome. I want to see this render, too!

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

Blackhearted posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quote - irradiance 100 minshade 0 bounces 12

^theres your problem.
set min shading rate to 0.2 and lower irradiance caching. 

the rendertime difference between 0.2 and 0.0 is astronomical.

do you need 12-20 raytrace bounces? does your scene have multiple mirrors?

my longest render was <6 hours - since thats the longest i usually sleep, and ive never had a render not finish by the time i woke up in the morning. 

monkeycloud posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:50 PM

Quote -
Make sure you post the render if you do the ETD mirror scene. I'd like to see that... :biggrin:

Definitely. I think BB's hall of mirrors shader from one of MistyLaraP's previous threads may come in handy to put a bit of a slant on the original too... 😉

Just give me a few days to work on the scene then... hmmm... about 3 weeks to render? That possibly not even an exaggeration!

:biggrin:

Khai-J-Bach posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:16 PM

poser I think 3 hours... POVRAY 3 days. truespace, 50,000 years estimated (a bug where raytracing, shadow maps and transparency such as glass caused hugely inflated render times.. it was rendering.. would just take centuries to complete....)

rokket posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:16 PM

Quote - > Quote -

Definitely. I think BB's hall of mirrors shader from one of MistyLaraP's previous threads may come in handy to put a bit of a slant on the original too... 😉

Just give me a few days to work on the scene then... hmmm... about 3 weeks to render? That possibly not even an exaggeration!

:biggrin:

LMFAO!!! I can believe it!

LaurieA posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:20 PM

3 days. Vue d'Esprit 3 with fog. Windows 98. 512 megs of ram.

Laurie

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:21 PM

Quote - are light bounces and reflect bounces the same thing?

or are they calculated in separate bounces?

Yes - IDL light bounces are different from reflection/refraction bounces.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3946152&ebot_calc_page#message_3946152

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 2:54 PM

3 bounces with blurred metal objects placed close together so we *could* get more bounces.

You can observe some black (unfinished) areas where they "see" each other multiple times.

Render time in Poser SR 2.1 = 3 min 55 seconds

Render time in Poser SR 3 = 3 min 51 seconds

So my experience is the opposite of what others are saying. For me, SR3 is faster, even at multi-bounce blurred reflection.

I don't know what other people are doing, but I get to say for the third time in a week, post hoc ergo propter hoc is at work here.

I am coming up on two years with the same computer - I7 860. I wonder if it's time to upgrade.

bagginsbill posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 2:58 PM

I am experimenting with CryEngine 3. Render times for complex scenes are sometimes as long as 22/1000 of a second.

Suddenly, 30 second renders seem totally absurd.

monkeycloud posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:10 PM

That geriatric ninja render was maybe about 3 hours by the way, in SR3.

But most of that was probably the fibre mesh (or whatever you call it) hair calculations (in all three passes - IDL, SSS and render).

In general I find SR3 about the same ballpark speed as SR2.1... haven't noticed major speedups or slowdowns. But with fixes to things like reflections of blurred reflections. So I'm guessing SR3 is probably doing more calculations in the same sort of time as before?

dwarvengaard posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:38 PM

Quote - My longest Vue render was between 5 and 6 days... I lost track of the hours.

Good God.... between 5 and 6 days? Really? I was about to toss in 4 days rendering time with Carrara 3, for a 30-second 640 x 480 animation. Then again, I was using an AMD Athlon 1400 single core with only 512mb of memory and onboard 64mb video..... 6 days.... D-A-Y-U-M!

Miss Nancy posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:40 PM

render settings maxxed out at 12 bounces, but d3d's script doesn't (for IDL bounces), e.g. the above settings produce IDL quality of 833 in the render settings screen.  the most I've used is 16 (overnight).  it sometimes improves interior scenes lit from the exterior.  obviously it wouldn't matter much for the typical poser unenclosed scene.

monkeycloud posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:51 PM

Quote - > Quote - My longest Vue render was between 5 and 6 days... I lost track of the hours.

Good God.... between 5 and 6 days? Really? I was about to toss in 4 days rendering time with Carrara 3, for a 30-second 640 x 480 animation. Then again, I was using an AMD Athlon 1400 single core with only 512mb of memory and onboard 64mb video..... 6 days.... D-A-Y-U-M!

...and those times were with a Quad Core i7 and 16GB RAM. Down to scene complexity primarily... oh and the Vue render was via the batch renderer, which is CPU throttled.

Likewise, with the longest Poser render... this was using Queue Manager, which, again, seems to have some sort of throttling in play relative to the background render.

I'm tending to just go with rendering background now... it seems to be much quicker for whatever reason...

Acadia posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quote - > Quote - 20 bounces? wtf? what are you rendering, the mirror fight scene from Enter the Dragon?

That'd be some render...

I love it!!! Have you seen mine?!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1303669&user_id=127942&np&np

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:10 PM

29 hours.  I cancelled it 3/4 of the way through.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:16 PM

If my render takes more than 1/2 an hour, I disassemble and render in pieces and reassemble it in a graphic program.  I've had too many cases where I've let my computer run a render for hours and hours, only to find that it had actually frozen up or something.  So now I just hide stuff and render in sections.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

parkdalegardener posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:36 PM

I've had Poser renders run for 36 -48 hours on more than one occasion but VUE. Crap I've had them take 5 or 6 days This on an i7 2600k with 8 gigs of RAM. Not the biggest speced machine on the planet but not really a slouch either.

moriador posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:43 PM

Quote - If my render takes more than 1/2 an hour, I disassemble and render in pieces and reassemble it in a graphic program.  I've had too many cases where I've let my computer run a render for hours and hours, only to find that it had actually frozen up or something.  So now I just hide stuff and render in sections.

Exactly.

Though, for me, I let it run while I sleep. If it takes any longer than a normal night's sleep for me, I'll render in parts.

The last render I had to do that with involved IDL and transparencies and a lot of reflective surfaces. At some point in the middle/end, the machine reached 98% RAM usage. I have to work on this computer, so it can't be out of service for longer than a few hours. And at 98% RAM, even surfing the web is mighty uncomfortable.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

SamTherapy posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 6:17 PM

There was no way I could split up the render into sections on the one I mentioned.  I usually do that as a matter of course but it wasn't an option this time.

I was attempting to use a lot of BB's shaders in P6 on my old Athlon machine with 1.5GB RAM.  I think the render would have finished eventually but I needed to use it for something else. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

moriador posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 6:46 PM

Yeah, sometimes you just can't split them up.

It's why I'm always drooling over newer, faster machines.

grichter posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 12:54 AM

That'd be some render...

So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

monkeycloud posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 2:30 AM

Quote - So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

She told me that back in the day she used to spar with classic British wrestlers Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. She said she learnt some of her key moves and developed her strict dietary regime under the tuition of those two masters...

Her favourite move however is a Tai Chi inspired one she developed herself. It's called "Bury the Tiger under the Mountain".

😉

MistyLaraCarrara posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 8:35 AM

woahs, my render bucket hasn't moved since last night. 

does raising the ffrender priority in taskmanager do any good?  or will i just totally tank my pc ?

it's not coming out the way i was hoping, anyhoos, i was aiming for art nouveau-ish, Alphonse Mucha.

LaurieA posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 8:46 AM

Quote - > Quote - So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

She told me that back in the day she used to spar with classic British wrestlers Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. She said she learnt some of her key moves and developed her strict dietary regime under the tuition of those two masters...

Her favourite move however is a Tai Chi inspired one she developed herself. It's called "Bury the Tiger under the Mountain".

😉

You're a goof. I say that with much affection...lmao. Love it....lol.

Laurie

wimvdb posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 8:54 AM

Quote - woahs, my render bucket hasn't moved since last night. 

does raising the ffrender priority in taskmanager do any good?  or will i just totally tank my pc ?

it's not coming out the way i was hoping, anyhoos, i was aiming for art nouveau-ish, Alphonse Mucha.

FFRender should already take all the CPU cores and be used at 100%. Raising the priority will not help (Unless of  course you have other CPU intensive applications running at the same time)

MistyLaraCarrara posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 7:41 PM

cpu dual-core is bouncing 99 - 100%.

ffrender64 memory usage has gone down from 1.2gb to the 300mb range?

it doesn't say not responding.

a screen grab for posterity

rokket posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 11:22 PM

Quote - > Quote - So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

😉

I just spat Red Bull all over my laptop screen....

rokket posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 11:26 PM

Quote -  

cpu dual-core is bouncing 99 - 100%.

ffrender64 memory usage has gone down from 1.2gb to the 300mb range?

it doesn't say not responding.

a screen grab for posterity

This is why I only render what I need in the scene. Usually only the characters and their clothing. I tried to do a render using "The Pad" scene with Sydney and James. I ended up taking everything out but the two people and the couch that Sydney was sitting on. I added the rest in later using GIMP. It messes with the lighting and shadows, but I don't like it when I can do anything else on the laptop because of a RAM eating render. If I get a new laptop which will be the fastest and best graphics card available at the minute, I will probably attempt a full scene render again.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 2:46 AM

did you load the Pad from it's .pz3? it has lots of parented lights. i del many of the lights and it rendered much better.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 5:56 AM

Regardless of how slow a render is, this idea that you can't do anything else with your computer is odd to me. I've been launching Poser at low priority for years. When you do this, it only uses the CPU if YOU aren't.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3972986&ebot_calc_page#message_3972986

LaurieA posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 8:33 AM

Yeah, I use BB's trick since Poser 8 and I don't have any problems using Poser with other programs ;).

Laurie

WandW posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 8:52 AM

I don't have any problem running Poser and browsing the web simultaneously in Win 7 Pro; perhaps I need to run Poser at a higher priority when I'm not; is this possible?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

moriador posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 10:58 AM

Quote - Regardless of how slow a render is, this idea that you can't do anything else with your computer is odd to me. I've been launching Poser at low priority for years. When you do this, it only uses the CPU if YOU aren't.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3972986&ebot_calc_page#message_3972986

It's not the CPU that's the problem for me when rendering; it's the RAM. Firefly runs in a lower priority, but when it and Poser and the OS are consuming 11.5 of my 12 gb, I find I cannot use an internet browser. What could I be doing wrong?

bagginsbill posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 6:04 PM

Oh - swapping is a different story. It doesn't obey priority - when swapping is called for, all apps suffer.