Forum: Freestuff

Subject: S.E. Asian Shields (‘Smart+’ Props for Poser and DAZ Studio)

3dcheapskate opened this issue on Nov 07, 2012 · 14 posts

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 07 November 2012 at 10:07 PM

Available for download from  [ Renderosity Freestuff](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=69858) and [ ShareCG](http://www.sharecg.com/v/65667/view/11/Poser/South-East-Asian-Shields).

Three ‘Smart+’ shield props for Poser and DAZ Studio, based on photographs of historical S.E.Asian punch-grip shields from various Thai palaces, temples, museums, and private collections.

There’s a single texture for each shield in both ‘new’ (as in the main promo) and ‘worn’ versions.

Why ‘Smart+’? Well, it’s like a smartprop, but it works with 28 figures…

Tested in DAZ Studio 3 and 4, and Poser 6, 8, and 9 on a windows PC.

(compatible with the ‘PropGoto+’ DAZ Studio/Poser scripts from my S.E. Asian Duel)

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 07 November 2012 at 10:07 PM

**Using The ‘Smart+’ Shield Props In Poser** 1) Within the scene select the figure you want to hold the shield (select any body part). 2) Double-click the Poser version of the Smart+ Shield Prop. A dialogue box will appear. 3) Click through the sequence of dialogue boxes that appear, checking that the options are what you want. 4) The shield should now be held firmly in the selected figure’s hand.

Using The ‘Smart+’ Shield Props In DAZ Studio

1. Within the scene select the figure you want to hold the shield (you must select the root node of the figure, and no other nodes must be selected).
  2. Double-click the DAZ Studio version of the Smart+ Shield Prop. The shield prop will appear face down at the origin and a dialogue box will appear.
  3. Check that the options in the dialogue box are what you want and then click ‘Accept’.
  4. The shield should now be held firmly in the selected figure’s hand.

And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 07 November 2012 at 10:09 PM

Here’s what the ‘worn’ textures look like (Poser 6 render).

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 07 November 2012 at 10:09 PM

By the way - the textures at present are basic diffuse and specular only. I’m still working on a DAZ Studio ‘Simple Dual Material Shader’ specifically for this shield, and I’ll be releasing it soon, along with a Poser equivalent - fingers crossed!

I’m also working on several additional designs for the faces of the shields, all based on historical examples - I’ll be releasing them soon as well

luckybears posted Wed, 14 November 2012 at 6:54 AM

Thank you. I will be using these as wall decorations. I'll PM you when I upload the image.

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 14 November 2012 at 8:48 AM

New Poser/DAZ Studio shaders (very basic versions to start with, allowing you to easily change the paint colour and overlay design) going well, along with one additional design for each shield. Upload before the weekend if all goes well. More info plus larger versions of the attached images via the '[Art](http://3dcheapskate.deviantart.com/)' and '[Blog](http://3dcheapskate.blogspot.com/)' links in my signature.

3dcheapskate posted Thu, 15 November 2012 at 7:02 AM

Quote - Thank you. I will be using these as wall decorations. I'll PM you when I upload the image.

They say that great minds think alike - I had the same idea! (see the post above). Looking forward to seeing your render.

3dcheapskate posted Fri, 16 November 2012 at 11:49 PM

First texture add-on for these shields uploaded to Renderosity Freestuff

Textures And Shaders For South East Asian Shields

One new texture for each shield, plus very basic Poser/DAZ Studio shaders that allow you to easily change the design, wear pattern, and colours.

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 21 November 2012 at 9:32 PM

...and another six - two new designs for each of the three shields, with 'new' and 'worn' versions. (Poser and DAZ Studio materials)

I've also included a couple of fixed/updated versions of some previous masks, textures and shaders.

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 21 November 2012 at 10:09 PM

I should probably include an example of what you can do with the simple shader I've included, so...

Each shield in this image is the same model with different overlay masks (i.e. shield designs), different diffuse/specular colours for all three layers, and the same wear pattern mask.

I'm quite pleased with how this is going - once I get the reflection and bump added to the shaders I think I'll have reached my goal for this little project.

(I've already released a prototype of the DAZ Studio version of the full shader as the 'SDMS Shader (beta)' freebie, and I've got a more-or-less working Poser version too - some question threads about this will be appearing soon)

3dcheapskate posted Tue, 11 December 2012 at 9:12 PM

Final batch of shield designs now uploaded to Renderosity Freestuff - [ One More Texture For Each South East Asian Shield](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=70128)

So with the original shield download and the three add-on texture downloads that's a total of five different designs for each of the three shields. Each design has both 'new' and 'worn' versions, with both Poser and DAZ Studio materials. There's also a greyscale mask image for each design to allow you to use them with the shield shaders I included (for changing the colours, etc).

(P.S. I forgot to include a link for the previous batch in the last couple of posts, so here it is - Six Textures For The South East Asian Shields )

3dcheapskate posted Tue, 11 December 2012 at 9:19 PM

P.S.#2: That's the majority of my source photos of Asian shields used now. I’ve got a few more photos, mainly round shields - but the images are mostly very small (as mentioned at the bottom of this blog post). So that's it with the S.E. Asian shield patterns for now (although I will do the ones from my remaining source photos at a later date).

Regarding the shield shaders: I’ve got the final version of the Poser one more-or-less ready, so I should be releasing that soon-ish. A DAZ Studio version (based on my SDMS beta) should follow that.

3dcheapskate posted Tue, 25 December 2012 at 7:49 PM

[ Poser Shader For S.E. Asian Shields](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=70257) now uploaded. This should be the final version, since the shield now looks as I'd originally envisaged it.

N.B. Poser ONLY! A DAZ Studio version will follow, but no ETA yet.

For more info (screenshots of the shader network) see the ShareCG page.

You'll probably need to play around on the Advanced tab of the material room to get things looking how you want. The shader network should be pretty intuitive, but there's some hints in the readme. I can add more info on this thread if anybody wants?

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 02 January 2013 at 8:48 PM

[ DAZ Studio Shader for S.E.Asian Shields](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=70322) also uploaded.

For more info (screenshots of the shader network and surfaces tab) see the ShareCG page.

You'll probably need to adjust values on the surfaces tab and play with camera angles and lighting to get it looking how you want, but it's more-or-less how I wanted it now (although the reflections seem to be non-existent, compared to the Poser shader promo?! I'll have a look at that)