Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Texture problem

JIMMYJOHN opened this issue on Jan 09, 2013 · 38 posts

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 3:31 PM

I got some freebies in the form of DAE files.

But something goes wrong with the texture when rendered: (same problem if imported as DAE or converted to 3DS or OBJ)

No render

http://bayimg.com/cAiPIAaEF

http://bayimg.com/caiPJaAef

Rendered

http://bayimg.com/CaipMaaeF

http://bayimg.com/DaIPCAAeF

Pity because the meshes are great and so are the textures. - Is there a way to make the renders look better? - Is it possible, for exemple, to remove the textures then reapply them the right way? If so, is there a tutorial that can teach me how to do it?

Thanks for any advice

Medzinatar posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 4:58 PM

You can add images or links to images with forum tools, an image hosting site is not necessary.

In any case, is not good idea to give link to "Pirate Bay" image host site.

People might wonder where you get your content.

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 5:49 PM

OK, next time I'll try to post my images using the forum tools.

I honestly didn't know BAYIMG was linked in any way to Pirate Bay. I was advised to use it because they don't remove or censor images, that's all.

Last, I don't find it very friendly you imply I am stealing stuff.

All the things I get are genuine freebies (at least I think so) I find on sites such as those:

http://sharecg.com/v/49141/

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/444507

I would have prefered to get some hints and advices, but never mind.

LaurieA posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 5:56 PM

I think you were just being warned that someone MIGHT think that if you use that image site, that's all. I don't think anyone said you were stealing anything. Just that you don't wanna fall under the "guilt by association" category. Some ppl jump to conclusions before they know any facts ;). Human nature, I'm afraid.

Laurie

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 6:04 PM

OK, that makes sense.

@Medzinatar: sorry I overreacted.

PS: nobody togive me hints on how to solve my problems? Please?

randym77 posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 6:17 PM

Have you tried checking "remove backfacing polys" under render settings?

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 6:36 PM

Just tried it, no improvement, I'm afraid. 

But thanks for the tip.

I also tried different filtering, no good.

I think the help can only come from a guru.,

my best guess would be to remove the textures them reapply them (in 3DSMAX?)

But I don't know if and how it can be done.

randym77 posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 6:57 PM

Try unchecking "smooth polygons," if you've got that checked.

millighost posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:06 PM

With 98.9% probability you have overlapping polygons. To be sure, try to check the "normals forward" option in the PoserSurface node of the material room. If that does any good in the render output, you have two polygons instead of one (one with inverted normals). Exporters do that sometimes to simulate double faced polygons; i think your guitar effect device is originally from sketchup. You probably will need a modeling program to fix that (if the "normals forward" option is not enough).

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:11 PM

Nope :-(

What a pity, I found a couple of dozen incredible music gear and i'm not able to use them...

AlanaDale posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:20 PM

I realize that you are not up to using a modeling program yet.

In the past, I have had good luck with PoseRay in cleaning up models.

Just run it thru, do a "recalculate normals" and "split faces by crease angle" under "Groups" tab and export it out.

PoseRay is available free at https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/home 

Ravyns posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:26 PM

The object might need a little remapping. 

**************************************************************************************

Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're here we should dance.

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:48 PM

Quote - I realize that you are not up to using a modeling program yet.

In the past, I have had good luck with PoseRay in cleaning up models.

Just run it thru, do a "recalculate normals" and "split faces by crease angle" under "Groups" tab and export it out.

PoseRay is available free at https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/home 

Hum, that's an understatement.

But I'm eager to learn and I am confident I can achieve some results with some guidance from you people.

At the moment, it just feels like a jump into the unknown.

I'll keep you posted on my progress with POSERAY. 

Do you mind if I bother you by asking (silly) questions along the way?

randym77 posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:48 PM

Would he still be able to use the textures?  Or would the model have to be re-mapped?

Quote - In the past, I have had good luck with PoseRay in cleaning up models.

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:50 PM

Quote - The object might need a little remapping. 

I have no doubt you are correct.

If only I knew what it means...

AlanaDale posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 8:09 PM

If this is a freebie, maybe you can post a link to where it is available.

One or two of us might download it and see what can be done

shvrdavid posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 8:45 PM

I would be curious to see the wireframes.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 8:59 PM

Quote - If this is a freebie, maybe you can post a link to where it is available.

One or two of us might download it and see what can be done

I am glad to share them.

They were found at sites like:

renderosity

3dpmr (3dpmrinfo@3dpmr.com)

www.archibase.net

etc

But the most impressive collection - and unfortunately the ones that cause problems - come from:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=799500df9a4651106316405f70a8e88b

I'd be really grateful if you could help me get them to work.

Ravyns posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 9:03 PM

I wouldn't mind getting a look at the mesh either. 

**************************************************************************************

AlanaDale posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 9:51 PM

Most of problem I see is with the Yamaha is that it is an over simplified model with a low res texture map.  The map in just an ortho shot of the instrument.

Not that that is bad, I would use same technique if I had to box model a bunch of props for a visualization.

BTW, I used Deep Exploration 6.5 to convert model to OBJ format

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 10:03 PM

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're explaining to me.

Do you mean I should convert DAE to OBJ using Deep Exploration 6.5?

Is the bottom keyboard rendered?

If so, the result is beyond my wildest dream and you're my hero.

AlanaDale posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 10:25 PM

The keyboard was rendered in PP2012

The link you supplied for Yamaha in Sketchup was in Sketchup format (.skp).

At least, that's the only choice it gave me when I went to download it.

How are you getting a Collada file?  Are you exporting out of Sketchup?

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 10:52 PM

Some files are dowloadable as DAE, for the KMZ or SKP, I convert them to 3DS or OBJ using SKETCHUP 8.

Is the demo version of Deep Exploration enough for what I need to do?

So, the keyboard is indeed rendered: you definitely ARE my hero!

May I ask you; is your avatar a picture of yourself? :-)

markschum posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 11:30 PM

yup, it looks like a broken geometry rather than a texture issue.

I believe you can use blender tio load DAE files and export 3ds.

Poser does not like n-gons with concave bits or long thin polygons. The smoothing in Poser causes some defects. 

Can you post a link to that effects pedal ?  It might not be hard to fix in a modeller.

lmckenzie posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 11:44 PM

Don't know if it would make a difference but I always get the .skp format and use SketchUp to convert to .obj - checking convert to triangles (or whatever the option is) in the export dialog.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

JIMMYJOHN posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 11:56 PM

Quote - yup, it looks like a broken geometry rather than a texture issue.

Poser does not like n-gons with concave bits or long thin polygons. The smoothing in Poser causes some defects. 

Can you post a link to that effects pedal ?  It might not be hard to fix in a modeller.

Here is the link.

I'm grateful for your help, but please bear with me, I'm not as knowledgable as you are, most of the time I don't have a clue of what you're talking about :-(

JIMMYJOHN posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 1:03 AM

Quote - [uote] yup, it looks like a broken geometry rather than a texture issue.

Here is the link.

I'm grateful for your help, but please bear with me, I'm not as knowledgable as you are, most of the time I don't have a clue of what you're talking about :-(

Forgot the link...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=pedal+effect&styp=m&scoring=t&btnG=Rechercher&reps=6&start=60

AlanaDale posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 1:14 AM

To be honest, it's a tossup on the time it would take to fix these versus modeling new ones. Poser is not as forgiving as some other programs on the aligment of vertices for a plane.

The person that supplied the model did not zero the figure so it's x and z rotated 2 degrees each way so I couldn't snap it to a grid to clean up some of the more atrocious points.

Anyway, here's Vickie in her stock purple bikini, holding the keyboard

JIMMYJOHN posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 1:27 AM

I understand you're a perfectionnist, but the results you get are way good enough for what I intend to do.

I now need to learn to do what you're doing.

Are you, as you said previously, using Deep Explorer 6.5? 

And do you reckon the demo version is enough to get the results?

AlanaDale posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 3:29 AM

I use DE because it converts anything to anything.  I have no idea about the demo version or if they even offer it anymore.
Don't have Sketchup installed, but I'm sure there is a plugin to export OBJ.

On a fixer-upper, I take an OBJ into Lightwave, make an LWO out of it. From there, I can remap, add normals, or whatever.

There are plenty of free modelers that you can do that in.  Wings, Blender, Hexagon can do the fundamental operations you need for cleanup

And now I've got to get some sleep...I'm up way too late

JIMMYJOHN posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 9:58 AM

I fell asleep a couple of hours before you.

But I live at GMT 0, meaning it was 8am when I passed over.

Nevertheless, that was great, I really enjoyed our first night together...

JIMMYJOHN posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 1:40 PM

Dear Alana,
I hope I’m not abusing of your time and patience. If I do, please just ignore this message.
I have tried to use your method with POSERAY:

I’d be very grateful if you could explain me what I’m doing wrong, or even better, give me a step by step on what to do to achieve the same results you get.

Best regards.

PS how can one insert pictures from a computer without using a server?

Ravyns posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 2:22 PM

Look at the bottom of this page. There is a Browse button. You can add an image from you computer files with it. 

I'm sorry I don't have anything in my computer at the minute that will open a sketchup file.  Had some pc trouble awhile back & uninstalled a lot of stuff that was no longer working right. 

JIMMYJOHN posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 2:39 PM

Quote - Look at the bottom of this page. There is a Browse button. You can add an image from you computer files with it. 

I'm sorry I don't have anything in my computer at the minute that will open a sketchup file.  Had some pc trouble awhile back & uninstalled a lot of stuff that was no longer working right. 

Thanks. But the img button asks for an URL, it doesn't allow me to browse my computer looking for a picture.

Sorry to hear about your PC trouble, but really, it's small thing.

My problem is much worse: i'm so thick that I can't even understand the simplest things you people take the time to explain me :-(

Ravyns posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 2:57 PM

You're doing fine.. And this stuff can be confusing when you're learning. I've had a couple different versions of Poser  since 2004 & still don't really know how to use either of them. 

Hang on for a few minutes & I'll send you a screen shot of where to find it..

Ravyns posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 3:03 PM

Here you go..  Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page & look for the Browse button the arrow in the image is pointing to.. 

JIMMYJOHN posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thanks Ma'am!

I was trying to use the icon at the top right of the message area.

Thanks also for your kind words, but let's face it: after 30 hours, I still can't understand what others solve in minutes...

The failure is obvious.

Ravyns posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 3:36 PM

Ahhh.. But lots of others have been doing this longer so it's easier for them. The more you practice the easier it gets. 

It took me 6 months of opening & closing Wings 3d & understanding nothing about the program before I really began to catch on.   Still lots about it that I don't know how to use.  And I should add that I've not had much luck with learning any other 3d program besides Rhino..