Forum: Suggestion Box

Subject: Web Site Changes

whaleman opened this issue on Feb 22, 2013 · 80 posts

whaleman posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 4:15 AM

I am not happy with the recent changes to the web site...

1.  The new small boxes for commenting are very poor, they do not allow you to see very much of what you have written and cause me to be constantly scrolling or just terminate a comment rather than bother.

2.  I very much dislike the font that was chosen for commenting, a "t" that is almost the same size of vowels, and an "r" that practically disappears. That is a decorative font unsuitable for general reading. Times or Arial is much more suitable, which is why everyone else uses them!

3.  The thumbnail titles of the gallery pages constantly clip off descenders from the line above, so artists such as "jayfar" appear as "iavfar" and "Jay-el-Jay" becomes Jav-el-Jav." Had he not used capitals, it would have become "iav-el-iav" instead. Just check the Photography gallery to see what I mean. Use a font that fits so everything can be read.

4.  The main page colors now present us with very high contrast due to too much white next to a medium dark blue.

5.  As another member pointed out, you can no longer hover over a thumbnail to see statistics about the upload. Why was that deleted?

6.  For me the most off-putting thing is the poor legibility of the font selection. It could be a deal-breaker for me because it is as difficult to read as something written with all capitals. Lots of research has been done regarding legibility of different fonts.

7.  I am seeing a continual decline in the number of users on at any one time, yet even though fewer are on-line at any given time, the site seems to run at a snail's pace and I am wondering if people are leaving because of the annoyance of slow response times? I also wonder if the site has reduced the number of servers?

These are my feelings!

Wayne (whaleman)