Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Problem with PMD files

piccolo_909 opened this issue on Apr 12, 2013 · 22 posts

piccolo_909 posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 8:42 PM

I have several characters saved in my "Figure" library. I load one of those characters into a new scene, and when i try to save the scene, it saves the pz3 file, but there's no pmd file there. Does anyone know what's going on?

I didn't have this problem before.

Teyon posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 8:47 PM

Check your prefs under MISC - if you have Use External Binary Morph Targets unchecked, that's why you don't have a PMD

piccolo_909 posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 8:51 PM

Use External Binary Morph Targets is checked though.

What's weird is if i load a figure i saved from the figure library into a new scene, then save it as a pz3, it doesn't save a pmd file.

But if i load a figure from the figure library into a already made scene that already has a pmd file, it saves a pmd file.

Teyon posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 9:01 PM

You may need to delete your Poser Prefs then but you should contact Tech Support.

piccolo_909 posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 9:52 PM

Ok, i notice that other characters, even when the pmd file is not saved, they retain their morphs. However, Samson for M4 in particular does not. I'm not sure why pmd's don't save when you load a character from the figure library. All my other figures, even without the pmd, retain their morphs. Samson for M4 however, loses all his morphs.

EDIT

Ok, even if i save from a pre-existing scene, Samson loses his morphs. Say i load a scene with the daz dragon from a pz3 file that has a pmd file already. Now i import Samson for M4 into that scene. Now when i save this scene, and reload it, Samson completely loses all his morphs

Is that model's morphs bugged?

Anyone have an idea what is going on? X.X

piccolo_909 posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 10:06 PM

I think the only way i'm gonna figure this out is if someone tests this for me.

Load up a brand new scene and delete the skeleton.

Load a character you made from the "Figures" library.

Save as the scene into a pz3 file.

Does it save both a pz3 and pmd file, or only a pz3 file?

piccolo_909 posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 11:18 PM

Are you f******g kidding me? The reason morphs wouldn't save was because i named the character Ryan, and since i guess in the other library there's a default character named Ryan, some conflict was causing the morphs to not load. I renamed him Ryan2 and now his morphs load after you save a file.

God i hate poser sometimes.

vholf posted Sat, 13 April 2013 at 12:14 PM

Glad you figured it out. You should report it as a bug because to me it seems Poser is looking in the whole runtime first for the PDM file before looking inside the folder of the figure you just loaded, since it's finding a Ryan PDM file somewhere else, it takes that one.

WandW posted Sat, 13 April 2013 at 12:25 PM

Quote - Are you f******g kidding me? The reason morphs wouldn't save was because i named the character Ryan, and since i guess in the other library there's a default character named Ryan, some conflict was causing the morphs to not load. I renamed him Ryan2 and now his morphs load after you save a file.

God i hate poser sometimes.

That's right; Poser treats the Library essentially as one big directory, and duplicate names cause headaches.  Setting your Library search option to Shallow may help, but it can also lead to Poser not finding files when you load a scene...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Gremalkyn posted Sat, 13 April 2013 at 12:40 PM

I do not have the Michael morphs mentioned, so I cannot test this, but I am wondering if the original file for the included Ryan has somehow been altered by these new attempts.

piccolo_909 posted Sat, 13 April 2013 at 6:59 PM

Hioushi: Yah, something weird is going on there. I think it's intentional, but i wish poser would at least give a warning sign or something.

WandW: I'm not sure if it happens with only default names, like Michael, Ryan, Alyson, and what not, or if it happens if there's a duplicate name that the users made up. It's sneaky too, because the morphs will show up when you load the character, but if you save the scene and open it up in a different file, all your hard work and morphs are gone :(

Gremalkyn: Not really sure. For me it's no biggie since i never use the default ryan, but maybe someone out there can test this out =P

Eric Walters posted Sun, 14 April 2013 at 3:39 PM

PMD's have always been buggy. I stopped using them after I lost morphs-you are not alone! Do a forum search-make sure to expand beyond the last 45 days

primorge posted Sun, 14 April 2013 at 5:46 PM

Supposedly all known bugs for PMD have been squashed in the latest update... I think that .pmd INJ's are great (no need for a dedicated community channel or overwrite conflict worries) and they only require 'Use external blah-blah' during the creation of the INJ.

That being said, I'm using Poser 8 so having 'Use external blah-blah' on in preferences for scenes that will be saved is a definite no-no.

DarkEdge posted Sun, 14 April 2013 at 9:35 PM

PMD's are indeed buggy, I was just helping a customer with theirs and with one method it jacked up, in another it worked...just better all around to use Scene Fixer for Injections (imo).

Comitted to excellence through art.

primorge posted Mon, 15 April 2013 at 12:15 AM

You do run the risk of overwriting one of the occupied community channels if the figure is loaded with morphs and you use a Scenefixer INJ (but I guess this the case with all Delta INJ's), Unless the user can determine which channels are already being utilized. Am I mistaken about this?

piccolo_909 posted Mon, 15 April 2013 at 2:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys. But yeah i have had a few cases where pmds were indeed a bit buggy. I opened one of my older scenes that i saved a few months back, only to find out my characters eyes popping out. I guess it had to do with the SR3.1 update somehow.

DarkEdge posted Mon, 15 April 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quote - You do run the risk of overwriting one of the occupied community channels if the figure is loaded with morphs and you use a Scenefixer INJ (but I guess this the case with all Delta INJ's), Unless the user can determine which channels are already being utilized. Am I mistaken about this?

Short answer, yes and no. I don't use any DAZ or Developer morphs, I create my own morphs in Zbrush...so my using a channel that is occupied makes no difference because I am not calling on those morphs.

primorge posted Mon, 15 April 2013 at 7:49 PM

I see, I was thinking of another user of your custom morphs.

I've been refining a couple of characters that combine morphs created in ZBrush with the Daz ++ morphs and custom textures by myself (Not from MR, mind you) that I would like to submit as a product here and there. It's still a ways off from completion but getting pretty close and I'm very happy with my progress thus far.

I know how to redistribute the combo morphs without violating Daz copyright by using ReadScript for the whole Shebang but I'm a little concerned about any potential conflicts with other morphs in the community channels (for the custom morphs), considering a separate readscript and .pmd INJ's (could use squished morph targets but I don't think many use this). I'm also aware of content creators that create their own category of channels for morphs but have yet begun to look into this option and I'm pretty certain it requires some pretty sophisticated file editing or scripting.

Any thoughts on this?, I'm always eager to learn from those who've been doing this stuff professionally.

DarkEdge posted Mon, 15 April 2013 at 10:12 PM

Quote - Any thoughts on this?, I'm always eager to learn from those who've been doing this stuff professionally.

I appreciate your kind comments, but I am just a fellow artist...much like yourself. I haven't dabbled into creating my own channel(s) but one thing I have learned is that code is very plyable, if you have the will you will find a way. It might take some bashing of one's head against hard objects but you'll learn much through the process...and quite possibly the path you seek.

Eric Walters posted Tue, 16 April 2013 at 8:17 PM

That would be good news. No recent probs to report-so you may be on to something.

I would up to 9 if you can- the SSS is worth it.

Quote - Supposedly all known bugs for PMD have been squashed in the latest update... I think that .pmd INJ's are great (no need for a dedicated community channel or overwrite conflict worries) and they only require 'Use external blah-blah' during the creation of the INJ.

That being said, I'm using Poser 8 so having 'Use external blah-blah' on in preferences for scenes that will be saved is a definite no-no.

DarkEdge posted Tue, 16 April 2013 at 8:23 PM

Hmmm, I'm just realizing from Eric's post that you are using Poser 8. You really want PoserPro 2012 or Poser 9, very nice advances in character development and creation...or you can always wait for the next release. 😄

luckybears posted Wed, 17 April 2013 at 5:22 PM

You can check or uncheck whatever you want in EDIT> Prefs, it makes no odds: This is a programimg fault by S&M.

Theonlyway to avois the S&M  FU is to save Morphp targets