Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Question re: resizing of Poser figures to resemble the 'actors' in BVH files

timarender opened this issue on Aug 05, 2013 ยท 6 posts

timarender posted Mon, 05 August 2013 at 2:58 PM

I am wondering what the current state of thinking about BVH files.

The collection of the 'Carnegie' BVH files (http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/) are possibly best known to be fairly useless for Poser users. The modern Poser characters have many more body parts than the simple model used by Carnegie.

The second problem with BHV files are that their model will probably have different body part size ratios (e.g. hip/waist ratio etc). Despite Poser's attempts to clean things up, 'slipping feet' remains on the more obviously visible effect, but it actually affect huge amounts of the motion (e.g. to touch the end of my nose would require different levels of rotation of my shoulder, if my forearm were a different length).

I have also seen (but not tried) software by Ockham and PhilC; but I am not altogether sure what problem they are attempting to fix; or how successful they are.

As the BVH file contains the 'OFFSET' details for each body part, what might be the effect of resizing the individual Poser character's body parts? Would this create movements which look the same as the original BVH intended?

Sorry if this is a long post, but would be grateful for any further insight.