Forum: Community Center

Subject: Galleries--What Happened?

goldie opened this issue on Aug 20, 2013 · 92 posts

goldie posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 3:51 PM

So, I see there have been some modifications to the galleries...but while doing these modifications, all the artists' comments pertaining to their work have been deleted...do hope this can be rectified...

enigma-man posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:11 PM

I don't think anything is missing. What I see is very light blue text on a white background for any description and comments. This is nearly almost practically impossible to read. Who requested this colour scheme and WHY ??? :)

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:19 PM

Hello,

I am seeing the comments and I am not seeing light blue text on white backgrounds can you both tell me which browser you are using and I will be glad to speak with our programmers.  I am currently using Chrome and not getting these results.

Thanks

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:20 PM

Also try and do a hard refresh and see if that helps with caching issues.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

goldie posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:26 PM

well. i figured out what the problem is.  if you go to my gallery you will note that none of my comments are there. 

originally, i had my comments appear above the image. so, now i thought i would i change that option to show my comments below the image and , low and behold, now those that i have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

i guess most folks originally chose to have their comments below their images.

enigma-man posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hi Tina:

I'm using Firefox and a refresh was the first thing I tried.  What I see now is black text on a white background, so something was changed.

Just checked a minute after posting the above comment and now it's back to very light blue on white. Can't read a thing, but I'm sure this will be sorted out soon.

enigma-man posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:44 PM

Something else for the programmers...

I logged out from the site and went back to my gallery not logged in. I get black text on a white background, but when I log in, it's the very light blue on a white background.

goldie posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:48 PM

Please ignore my above comment--it isn't accurate, and when I tried to edit it, it wouldn't let me.  Sorry.

This is how it should read:

Well. I figured out what the problem is.  If you go to my gallery you will note that none of my comments are there. 

Originally, I had my comments appear above the image.

Well, when i went into the "edit" page the option for my comments was to "Float Below Image,"  the opposite of what I originally had before this gallery update.  So, I decided to make it "Float Above Image" and , low and behold, now those that I have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

I guess most folks originally chose to have their comments below their images.

Richardphotos posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:53 PM

I noticed the huge change but the only big problem I am having is it being more hard to read the comments. the text is a very light grey and almost the same as the white background

Mozilla

linkdink posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:58 PM

I hate to complain, but I am not a fan of these latest changes. Don't know if you're looking for feedback, or if these changes are locked in, but here goes:

-The comment section is much harder to visually scan. Before, the commenter's name was displayed below his avatar; now they are separated. And again, there is just way too much space between sections, between comments, etc.

Thank you for listening to my gripes.

Gallery

jakiblue posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 5:02 PM

i'm seeing black text on white background, plus is that really an option so we can reply to a comment? That is AWESOME! thank you for the changes!

3DGuy posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 5:23 PM

I can't view an image in full size view when not logged in. It asks me to log in.  Has that always been like that?

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

brewgirlca posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 6:20 PM

I know comments about suggested changes are virtually useless but I will give two anyways:

I agree with Linkdink, please bring back the ability to mouse over a thumbnail and get the stats on the image, both on whats new and in my galleries.

There is an awful lot of wasted space in this current layout.  And I am not a big fan of the blazing white background, I prefer dark background with light colored text.

FaeMoon posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 6:58 PM

Quote - I know comments about suggested changes are virtually useless but I will give two anyways:

I agree with Linkdink, please bring back the ability to mouse over a thumbnail and get the stats on the image, both on whats new and in my galleries.

There is an awful lot of wasted space in this current layout.  And I am not a big fan of the blazing white background, I prefer dark background with light colored text.

I have to agree with Roxy here.  The white is so hard on the eyes.  Could it be toned down back to a gray?  

brewgirlca posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 7:04 PM

I just uploaded an image and I have to say good on you for finally giving us back a decent size text box for writing comments for the image and for commenting in galleries.

Also thanks for letting us be able to comment directly to a comment from a viewer.

Though I am not thrilled with the color pattern I will give you "guys" due credit for fixing the text boxes. Thank you.

But now please give us back our white on grey :-)

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:07 PM

Quote - Something else for the programmers...

I logged out from the site and went back to my gallery not logged in. I get black text on a white background, but when I log in, it's the very light blue on a white background.

I am not seeing it like this are you still having this issue?

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:12 PM

Goldi,

Quote - Well, when i went into the "edit" page the option for my comments was to "Float Below Image,"  the opposite of what I originally had before this gallery update.  So, I decided to make it "Float Above Image" and , low and behold, now those that I have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

I have tested this and yes it does exactly as you say.  I will make sure that I get this reported to the programmers first thing in the morning.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:18 PM

Richardphotos and Enigma-man,

Quote - I noticed the huge change but the only big problem I am having is it being more hard to read the comments. the text is a very light grey and almost the same as the white background

Mozilla

I am checking with the Programmer about this as I think it has something to do with your CSS that use to be available to use.

I will be back in touch with you.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quote - I hate to complain, but I am not a fan of these latest changes. Don't know if you're looking for feedback, or if these changes are locked in, but here goes:

-The comment section is much harder to visually scan. Before, the commenter's name was displayed below his avatar; now they are separated. And again, there is just way too much space between sections, between comments, etc.

Thank you for listening to my gripes.

Thanks linkdink I will pass it on.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:24 PM

Thanks jakiblue.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:25 PM

Quote - I can't view an image in full size view when not logged in. It asks me to log in.  Has that always been like that?

Yes you have to be login to browse the gallery.  You can view a specfic members gallery if they provide the link.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:26 PM

Thanks  brewgirlca

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

goldie posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:27 PM

Quote - Goldi,

Quote - Well, when i went into the "edit" page the option for my comments was to "Float Below Image,"  the opposite of what I originally had before this gallery update.  So, I decided to make it "Float Above Image" and , low and behold, now those that I have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

I have tested this and yes it does exactly as you say.  I will make sure that I get this reported to the programmers first thing in the morning.

Thanks Tina...I have gone into my gallery and changed about 4 out of 19 pages...do hope when the programmers fix this that I don't have to go back and re-fix the stuff :)...I would be in a killing mood if that is the case <:-o

As far as the gallery color scheme is concerned, I am using Color that Site for FireFox, and I have no unsightly/illegible areas...perhaps for those using FireFox this could be a short-term fix for them...

I also would very much like to see the mouse-over for image details...that eye thing is rather annoying in its functionality.

Richardphotos posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 9:10 PM

well now the text is more readable being more black

markht posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 10:44 PM

I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

adorety posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:21 PM

Indeed. All my comments and writing and stories are gone. I go to the writers gallery, and there is no text with anyone's image. Do programmers not check this with every browser before making the change? It seems you are on the right track and now there are bigger comment boxes, but alot of sites offer mirror beta sites before tossing everyone in.

From what I've read above it means I have to manually go to every picture to make sure my original text is in the right place and can be seen?!?!

On a positive note, I like the new "Album" option.

Again, I will patiently await the new fixes.

I just want everything to work normal for more than a month.

adorety posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:35 PM

This is messed up. In the writers gallery while using IE, the only option to place your image is on the left or right. And neither one allows the text to show at all. I have created images where I specifically want the image to be BELOW the text and the text be first. This optin is provided, so it should work. That's rather a major flub. There are countless images out there, now, missing text if the artist preferred the text first to introduce the image. Hopefully a fix soon.

Additionally I tried to enter the site from Firefox and Chrome and it would not let me log in.???????

I will log out off of IE and see if that works. Maybe I'll never get back :O

markht posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:55 PM

Quote - I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

Maybe the problem is that when you edit the entry, it shows you the whole image as the thumbnail, but it really has the thumbnail you uploaded. Note sure what happens if you save the edit though.

auntietk posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:59 PM

Thanks for the bigger comment box!  :)  I thought you'd forgotten about us.  But as Art mentioned, everything in the Writer's Gallery is missing.  The images are there, and the links, but all the text is gone. 

Please fix!!!

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

brewgirlca posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 12:08 AM

Please guys, why don't you beta test your changes and if you do beta test why don't you do a better job of it? This is the second major change in a matter of months with major screw ups. I just noticed that for the writers gallery there is now no text, only images and comments. Did no one catch that?

I really respect that you are making a sincere effort to change but this pattern of poor beta testing is just not professional. It happens every time. Someone in IT should be roasted on a spit, er, I mean, feeling the heat :-)

brewgirlca posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 12:13 AM

So you have a hotlink that says

Have you had a chance to check out the new and improved Galleries? "See Changes"

Now I would expect that clicking on that would take me to a text page explaining the changes but it takes me to the "What's New" gallery page. Is that intentional, because it seems very strange to me.

SidheRoseGraphics posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 1:24 AM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LOSE THE BLINDING WHITE COMMENTS BACKGROUNDS!!!!

Oh my gods, my eyes are bleeding out of my head. That is brutal on the eye-balls. We begged you before to lose the white on the pages and make it an off-grey and you did and that was cool, but now it's back. Guess you forgot.

Also, where's the text I wrote for my image I just uploaded? I tried floating it above and below the image with no success either way. I suspect if you're using Chrome you can see it because you all believe we all should use someone's preferred browser. We don't all use Chrome. Please understand that and beta test these things across all the major browsers before releasing. I'm on IE and it's version 10.

Thanks!

jakiblue posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 2:21 AM

how does the "album" feature work? there's an option to "choose an album" when you upload....but how do you create the albums?

SidheRoseGraphics posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 3:06 AM

@jakiblue: Go to your "My Gallery" page and from the "My Gallery" dropdown menu, select "Manage Albums". That's where you create them.

jakiblue posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 4:02 AM

Quote - @jakiblue: Go to your "My Gallery" page and from the "My Gallery" dropdown menu, select "Manage Albums". That's where you create them.

thank you!! :D

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:46 AM

Quote - I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

Can you tell me which browser you are using?  I just uploaded and do not see this happening for me.

Hopefully this has been corrected.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:48 AM

adorety,

**We are working to get the Writer's Gallery corrected at this time.  **

Should be fixed very soon.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quote - So you have a hotlink that says Have you had a chance to check out the new and improved Galleries? "See Changes"

Now I would expect that clicking on that would take me to a text page explaining the changes but it takes me to the "What's New" gallery page. Is that intentional, because it seems very strange to me.

You are correct this did take you to the wrong link and I have corrected this and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

adorety posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 10:38 AM

Please acknowledge. How long until the missing text issue is fixed? To repeat:

In the writers gallery, there are two choices for image placement; align left;align right, neither option allows the text to re-appear.

In the regular image galleries. If you have chosen for your image to "Float Below" the text, then the text does not appear. This option is provided and is a good option because sometimes the text/description is used to introduce the image. Additionally when writing a story, I like having the image separate the description from the comment.This issue is apparent in IE, FF and Chrome.

Regardless of what I like to do with the options, the options are there and should work.

Having said that, I do like the new "Albums" feature and it is very nice to have the text box back to a useable size. I'm even fine with the new general layout. Hopefully we'll get an update or fix VERY soon. Thanks.

AD

markht posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quote - > Quote - I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

Can you tell me which browser you are using?  I just uploaded and do not see this happening for me.

Hopefully this has been corrected.

I tried chrome, firefox and IE. 

I now think it was uploading the thumbnail, but when I went to the edit page, it shows the full size image as the thumbnail. This lead me to believe the thumbnail was not working. 

brewgirlca posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 10:49 AM

Hi TinaK

I really do appreciate your" jump onto the problem" demeanor and I feel you are really listening to our concerns. Thank you.

In regards to the white box with black text, this clearly is just not working for most of us. You say you have made changes to bring the gallery in line with most of the rest of the site, but this is not true. For example, look at the forum, we have gray/black background and white text, and for the discussion on the changes it was also white lettering on gray background. So to be consisthat it should be white text on a dark background for the galleries.

We had this issue in the last upgrade and the white box was universally panned and you guys fixed it. Why would you go back to the white when it was not recieved well last time.

Black text on white works well on paper but not on a video screen. That is because a video screen casts light whereas paper absorbs and reflects light. So white becomes especially glaring in digital media. And jumping from gray screens to white screens is especially jarring.

Please go back to a dark background and white text - use the forum page as an example.

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 11:34 AM

Quote - Please acknowledge. How long until the missing text issue is fixed? To repeat:

In the writers gallery, there are two choices for image placement; align left;align right, neither option allows the text to re-appear.

In the regular image galleries. If you have chosen for your image to "Float Below" the text, then the text does not appear. This option is provided and is a good option because sometimes the text/description is used to introduce the image. Additionally when writing a story, I like having the image separate the description from the comment.This issue is apparent in IE, FF and Chrome.

AD

The tech is working on it and should have it up in just a little bit.  We are considering giving the extra option of above and below as well.

I know you want a time but I am not in control of that and as soon as they tell me that it is corrected I will convey the info to you.  

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 11:43 AM

Writers Gallery is now corrected.

Please let me know if you see any problems with it.

Thanks for your patience.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

adorety posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad the text is back. There may still be a formatting issue. I'm looking at the site through Firefox right now and the text is alligned on the right, but it does not spread out when it is below the image. What I see is a looong narrow column on the right. In the old setup, once the text box passed the image, it would spread out and fill the width of the page. At least it works, but if someone is going to write up to 25000 characters, it's going to make a very long and narrow column and therefore cumbersome to read.

One other note that is probably out of your realm of control is quotation marks changing to symbols when there is an edit or change on the page. I don't know if that's a compatible text in HTML issue, but I assume so.

Thanks for the quick updates and the initial fixes.

AD

adorety posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 12:08 PM

I see also that the main image gallery text has been fixed as well. That now looks as it should. Thanks, AD

auntietk posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for bringing back the text in the writer's gallery!  :)  I'm with Art (again) ... can you make the format more readable?  That long column is okay for short-line poetry, but as a poet, if I write a line that's longer than what fits your format, the format changes the tone of what I've written.  For a story, it doesn't work at all.  It's like reading a book on one side of half a page in a paperback.  Having the text there is better than nothing, but "better than nothing" isn't what I'm hoping for!  :)

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

3DGuy posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 3:57 PM

wtf

Seriously... who designed this? On my 1200px heigh screen the top of the image is just visible. White area's on a dark background and a header that is at least 3 times bigger than it needs to be. And I mentioned this before, but the image which is the renderosity logo is 3400 pixels wide... why? It's scaled back using html/css but that just not right.

You need to slap your designer(s) and frontend coders.

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 4:47 PM

Quote - Thanks for bringing back the text in the writer's gallery!  :)  I'm with Art (again) ... can you make the format more readable?  That long column is okay for short-line poetry, but as a poet, if I write a line that's longer than what fits your format, the format changes the tone of what I've written.  For a story, it doesn't work at all.  It's like reading a book on one side of half a page in a paperback.  Having the text there is better than nothing, but "better than nothing" isn't what I'm hoping for!  :)

You can now go in and edit this with the option of right, left, float above or float below.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

spiegel428 posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 7:31 PM

Good to see new features such as albums and commenting on comments, but I have to agree with 3DGuy's post above. I'm guessing that a more vertical layout has to do with viewing it on mobile screens, but surely there's a way to do this more gracefully, if that's the case? I feel like I'm training for an Olympic medal in Scrolling here.

SeanE posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 7:44 PM

white boxes... white boxes everywhere!

why not just be done with it and get rid of the grey/blue/custom css colour of your choice background altogether and just have a white background entirely?

It'll still make the images look like crap against it but it'll be better than this white box stuff everywhere...

brewgirlca posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 7:46 PM

No comment from you guys on the many, many complaints about the black text on a white background? Is this "glaring" design issue going to be addressed or not? I would appreciate some feedback on this.

adorety posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 8:08 PM

I especially like the double ad of the same product, side by side, hovering above my image. Maybe people will be twice as likely to buy it.

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:11 PM

Quote - I especially like the double ad of the same product, side by side, hovering above my image. Maybe people will be twice as likely to buy it.

This has been reported.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:23 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know at this time we are only dealing with bugs or technical issues with the revamp of the Galleries and I will be forwarding those issue to the programmers so they can resolve them as quickly as possible.  Please understand that I am taking notes on any of your cosmetic/style feedback and suggestions and I will discuss them with the Admin team after we get all of the other technical issues addressed.

We certainly appreciate all of your feedback/suggestion and they will all be addressed eventually.  I just did not want you to think they are being ignored.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

DocMikeB posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:26 PM

Quote - - Most importantly, please bring back the ability to mouse-over a thumbnail to bring up the stats on that image (views, comments, etc.). The new "eye button" is much less efficient. - There is a lot of wasted space on the page where an image is displayed; the previous design was much more efficient, requiring much less scrolling to get to the comment section.

-The comment section is much harder to visually scan. Before, the commenter's name was displayed below his avatar; now they are separated. And again, there is just way too much space between sections, between comments, etc

I totally agree... the previous gallery was better.
More efficient and pleasant to see.
This design has lot of wasted space (the comments boxes are huge) and now I have the not-so-cool feeling to browse Tumblr. Not my intention to be rude, but I hope its NOT a change made to meet the requirements of tablets and smartphones. Lately a lot of sites are jumping on that bandwagon... LOL

Greetings and regards, Mike.

adorety posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:36 PM

Right on TinaK. I understand, now, that this is a work in progress and we are all beta testers. That being said, a little levity may be necessary from time to time. No disrespect intended :)

Talking about aeshetics too. All that stuff crammed in above an image, I think is too much. When I click to go visit and comment on someone's image in the galleries, I don't really like being confronted with so many ads and toobars. I do like the "Browse" gallery toolbar, but maybe the other two could go at the bottom or just away. And with the ads; there's one at the top and stuff along the side and bottom. Do we really need another banner ad just above the image? In fact it would be better to keep the three toolbars at the top and scrap the extra banner ad. Or make the three toolbars in to one master panel/toolbar. They are slightly redundant.

Just more food for thought, as if your plate wasn't full already.

AD

auntietk posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 10:47 PM

I guess I can only think about one thing at a time!  LOL!  Now that you've solved the writer's gallery problem (and a thousand thanks for that!) ...  next up ...

I miss the hover feature.  The eye doesn't do it for me.  Aside from an extra click, it doesn't give me the information I want.  I love knowing how long ago I posted an image.  "Posted 23 hours 15 minutes ago" is so much more helpful than having a time and date posted.  Is that Tennessee time?  West Coast time?  What day is it?  How long ago did I post?  I'm retired.  I shouldn't have to think so much.  :P

Okay ... two this time ...

The white box that contains details, statistics and EXIF data (for photographs) is so big I feel like I should hire a dance band and fill the space!  Maybe a football game would fit in there.  A small country?  Holy cats!  That's a lot of room for no reason.

Oh yeah, one more thing ... :P

I used to click on "my gallery" and it would take me to my gallery page.  24 images, mine, all mine, with my stats at the bottom.  Now it takes me to the page where my most current image is at the top, next three below that, most recent views, most recent favs ... whatever.  Is there a way to get to my gallery page without going to that summary page and clicking where it says "you have posted blah-de-blah number of images?"  I keep trying different things, but can't figure it out.

Bugs?  Design commentary?  Silly question?  I don't know ... do what you can for me, okay?  :)

Thanks, Tina! 

brewgirlca posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 10:03 AM

TinaK

Thank you for letting us know that you are at least considering our design issues and are focusing on technical right now.

So here is a technical one for you, it effects both the Galleries Page and the Market Place Page, at a minimum.

When you go to the Home banner and click on say Galleries, the drop down menu goes behind one of the underlying lower banners instead of on top of it. That mean options, such as My Home Page are not clickable because they are covered by an overlying banner.

And I agree with Antijee, My Galleries page is well buggered up now. That should be just my images showing up. For me this has to be a technical glitch and not a design issue because who would make a My Galleries Page that included 75% of stuff that was not My gallery??

Keep going girl. You are giving us the best feedback anyone has to date when a major design change hits us in the solar plexus.

FutureFantasyDesign posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 11:24 AM

I have very bad vision,  but honestly I like the new layout. I have seen none of the text issues and I use Lunascape. (*like FF). I just uploaded an image, and except for the Vendor drop down glitch everything seems to be good. I agree there is a lot of wasted space, but in a way it showcases the art more.

I think it looks more professional and clean. Just my thoughts.

HugZ!
Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

goldie posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 12:59 PM

i agree with all your points, auntietk. i especially miss the mouse-over stats information box.

Furthermore, IMHO,  the only positive change to the Galleries is the fix for the visitors' comment box.  The other changes really add little to nothing/improve nothing...

Quote - I guess I can only think about one thing at a time!  LOL!  Now that you've solved the writer's gallery problem (and a thousand thanks for that!) ...  next up ...

I miss the hover feature.  The eye doesn't do it for me.  Aside from an extra click, it doesn't give me the information I want.  I love knowing how long ago I posted an image.  "Posted 23 hours 15 minutes ago" is so much more helpful than having a time and date posted.  Is that Tennessee time?  West Coast time?  What day is it?  How long ago did I post?  I'm retired.  I shouldn't have to think so much.  :P

Okay ... two this time ...

The white box that contains details, statistics and EXIF data (for photographs) is so big I feel like I should hire a dance band and fill the space!  Maybe a football game would fit in there.  A small country?  Holy cats!  That's a lot of room for no reason.

Oh yeah, one more thing ... :P

I used to click on "my gallery" and it would take me to my gallery page.  24 images, mine, all mine, with my stats at the bottom.  Now it takes me to the page where my most current image is at the top, next three below that, most recent views, most recent favs ... whatever.  Is there a way to get to my gallery page without going to that summary page and clicking where it says "you have posted blah-de-blah number of images?"  I keep trying different things, but can't figure it out.

Bugs?  Design commentary?  Silly question?  I don't know ... do what you can for me, okay?  :)

Thanks, Tina! 

TinaK posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 1:12 PM

Quote - I have very bad vision,  but honestly I like the new layout. I have seen none of the text issues and I use Lunascape. (*like FF). I just uploaded an image, and except for the Vendor drop down glitch everything seems to be good. I agree there is a lot of wasted space, but in a way it showcases the art more.

I think it looks more professional and clean. Just my thoughts.

HugZ!
Ariana

Thanks for the great comments.

We are taking note of everyone's concerns and will try to get them resolved or at least find a common ground for everyone.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

RodS posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 7:13 PM

LOL @ Roxy.... Sizzle, sizzle..  :-O

I have to agree with Roxy and Art.... Even with my simple hobbiest website, I test every change thouroughly - in IE, Firefox, and Chrome - to make sure things are working right BEFORE I go 'live.' I know a site like Rendo is a whole different animal, but I think you are doing yourself a disservice by apparently not testing everything before going live.

On the positive side...

Well, I see the bright white has been muted down a bit - thank you! At first, I didn't mind the white background, but it does tend to tire the eyes of us older folks (and most of the folks here have been around the block more than once..). The mid gray is much better.

And a great big HUG and a THANK YOU for the bigger text boxes! That's gonna make a lot of folks very happy!

Overall, I think it looks good, and I'm confident you'll continue to tweak things to make it even better.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

brewgirlca posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 7:24 PM

Thank you for changing the white comment boxes to gray, that is a big improvement. I still think you need to go the extra mile and have white text on a gray background, just like you have here, but a good step in the right direction!

And thank you ever so much for giving us decent size boxes to put our text entries into. That is awesome. I have not bought any products from RMP as a protest since you went to the small boxes. Now I will consider buying and doing 3-d work again.

Good job. And I have to say this is the most positive response the community has recieved over a major site change that I have seen. I am impressed.

TinaK posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 8:05 PM

Thanks brewgirlca

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

RodS posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 9:46 PM

Let me add my kudos to what Roxy said. Your quick responses and the positive changes demonstrate that our input is being considered and acted on. This is a refeshing change in direction, and one that is appreciated more than you know.

Thank you very much for listening! I'm excited again!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

auntietk posted Fri, 23 August 2013 at 12:08 AM

Oooooooohh ... I like the new gray.  That's very nice.

I thought it was my imagination, but I checked again today, and I think I really have found an annoying glitch that's over there (at RR, as opposed to me doing something odd).  When I comment on an image, and click "post comment," my next step is to hit my "back" button twice and back up to the gallery page so I can look at the next picture I want to see.  (I don't just go "next next next," because I don't have time to look at every post.)  So I submit my comment, click the back arrow, and it takes me to the image I just looked at, with my comment at the bottom.  Clicking the back arrow one more time used to take me back to the gallery page, but ... no more!  Now I have to click it two or three times to make the darned thing back up.  Can you fix that?

Put this in the "suggestion" category:  All that space for the specs, etc, looks better in gray with lines between, but it's still a lot of vertical space for a little bit of information.  Would it be possible to make three boxes next to each other (horizontal) rather than three bits of information one below the other?  It would be a better use of space, and not so much scrolling. 

Thanks for listening!  :)

FaeMoon posted Fri, 23 August 2013 at 7:29 AM

Thank you for the better text box and the gray background instead of white!  It looks so much better and I don't have to resize the box everytime I make a comment now!

Great job and a huge improvement!!!

Fenier posted Sat, 24 August 2013 at 8:33 PM

Quote - I have to agree with Roxy and Art.... Even with my simple hobbiest website, I test every change thouroughly - in IE, Firefox, and Chrome - to make sure things are working right BEFORE I go 'live.' I know a site like Rendo is a whole different animal, but I think you are doing yourself a disservice by apparently not testing everything before going live.

I am a front end web developer, and I agree few things are as important as cross client testing.

That said.. I doubt most people realize what that means.

Desktop Operating Systems

Mobile Operating Systems

Major Desktop Clients

Major Mobile Clients

Upcoming Mobile Operating Systems

Upcoming Desktop Browsers

Now take all the preceding lists and view them at every common resolution.

Firefox & Chrome update every six weeks automatically. 

Chrome OS updates about every six weeks, and Firefox OS updates every 3~ months.  

Microsoft, since IE 10, has started force upgrading people.  This means in October, when IE 11 is released everyone on 10 whom does not opt out will eventually be upgraded to IE 11 during one of the normal 'Patch Tuesdays'.  And let me tell you, IE 11 breaks a lot of older IE hacks, and can easily break large sections of, or entire, websites.

Any company that depends on the web for income needs to have dedicated testing done for based on incoming traffic patterns.  There's simply no other way to ensure everything works because there is so much variation, and you do not deploy until the testing is complete.

You are dealing with multiple platforms, code bases and rendering engines all of which were upgraded between one and six times in the past year.  If you want the site to look good, you can't skip testing.

-Fenier

auntietk posted Sun, 25 August 2013 at 12:37 AM

I thought it was my imagination, but I checked again today, and I think I really have found an annoying glitch that's over there (at RR, as opposed to me doing something odd).  When I comment on an image, and click "post comment," my next step is to hit my "back" button twice and back up to the gallery page so I can look at the next picture I want to see.  (I don't just go "next next next," because I don't have time to look at every post.)  So I submit my comment, click the back arrow, and it takes me to the image I just looked at, with my comment at the bottom.  Clicking the back arrow one more time used to take me back to the gallery page, but ... no more!  Now I have to click it two or three times to make the darned thing back up.  Can you fix that?

It appears to have been fixed, and has been working just fine since last night.  Thanks!  :)

TinaK posted Sun, 25 August 2013 at 9:14 AM

Thanks auntietk.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

3DGuy posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 3:15 AM

I was browsing the photogallery today and 2 things bothered me.

1. It's hard to tell in de paginator what page you're on. The active page should be more pronounced.

2. there's 2 arrow buttons. A '>' and a '>>'.  Everywhere else on the web the single '>' means next page. Here it means skip 5 pages (same for the '<'). I only happened to notice this because I failed to find my last upload and found a page with previous upload. This means that when people are browsing a gallery they easily skip 5 pages worth of images without noticing. Especially in combination with my first point.

TinaK posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for reporting these issues 3DGuy we will take a look at them.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

auntietk posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 9:33 AM

That 5-page arrow thing has always been like that.  It's quite useful!  Sometimes I want to make a link to something that was posted three years ago, and it would be a pain in the patootie to go through page by page.  Yikes! 

3DGuy posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 9:40 AM

When viewing your own gallery it may be useful, but when viewing the new posts I find it annoying.

It could be handled in how the paginator works. I.E. Select the last available nr and it becomes the first available nr leaving 4/5 extra. Or an extra option so there's next or +5 or something like that.

SeanE posted Thu, 29 August 2013 at 9:33 PM

The text box such as here keeps freezing on my ipad. All I can do then is reload the entire page ands start again... I did have a longer explanation of the problem but this is ironically my third attempt to type this for exactly this reason...!

IO4 posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 8:09 AM

Sorry Renderosity, I can't say I like the look of image pages. New features are good, but why mess with the visual design?

There's way too much going on in the top part ; 3 menu bars plus a banner above the image. Then there's the enormous statics and details box. Why not have these side by side instead of underneath each other?

And I'm seeing black text on grey backgrounds - not good design from a useability point of view. I though the page layout before was fine - why change it? I don't see this as an improvement. It all looks more cluttered and less professional.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

auntietk posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 10:32 PM

Can I retract my "thank you" for fixing the "back" button?  It worked great for a couple of days, but now it's being temperamental again.  Just on this site ... all the other websites I muck around in back up to the previous page just fine.  Sometimes it appears to back up, but then freezes on the page, and I have to go back to the main gallery and retrace my steps again to get to the page I want.  I can be more specific if I seem to be the only one experiencing the problem, or if you need more information.

Thanks, Tina!  :)

TinaK posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 1:40 PM

Hi auntietk,

I got the same issue.  I don't get this when I use the previous button only when I hit the back arrow on my browser.

We will get someone to look at this for us.

Thanks for letting me know.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

auntietk posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yup ... exactly the same.  Thanks for checking into it!  :)

TinaK posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 3:03 PM

Tell me which area you are seeing this happen most.  I just tried again and did not have any problems in the What's New or Most Commented.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

auntietk posted Wed, 04 September 2013 at 7:36 AM

I'm mostly in the Photography gallery browsing, so that's where I see it happening.  It only seems to be when I've made a comment and then want to back out to the gallery again.  So here's the sequence:

Looking at photography gallery

Click a thumb to open an image

Make a comment, hit "post comment" button

See my new comment on the page

Hit BACK ARROW to return to the gallery (in the past, this has required two clicks ... one takes me back to the "pre-commented" image, and the second takes me back to the gallery page)

The second back arrow click is the one that isn't working properly.  I just made a comment on an image to make sure this was exactly what was happening, and verified the problem.  The first back arrow click takes me to the "pre-commented" image, but the second one stalls out.  Sometimes if I click repeatedly it clears and backs me up, but sometimes it just dies there and I have to go up to the top of the page to "select a gallery" and start over.

If I look at a picture and don't make a comment, the back arrow seems to work just fine.

Hope that helps!  Let me know if you need anything else, and thanks again for looking into the problem!

Tara

3DGuy posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 5:38 PM

I'm noticing a null image is inserted when previewing a reply to the forum (this causes the spacing at the top of the reply). This bug has been there before, was resolved and now it's back.

auntietk posted Thu, 12 September 2013 at 1:07 AM

Oh dear.  Now I'm not getting comment bots.  I just posted an image a couple of hours ago, and got a bot that said I had two comments.  Upon looking at the comments on that image, I discovered there were seven comments!  I got notifications on the last two, but not on the first five.  I checked the "notifications" bubble, and realized there were several comments on earlier images that I'd never seen, as well. Hope I got 'em all!  If people are kind enough to leave a comment, I feel like it's incumbent upon me to read them.

Thanks in advance for checking into this!

auntietk posted Thu, 12 September 2013 at 10:52 AM

The bot thing seems okay this morning.  What I got in my email matches my "notifications" page.  :)

StaceyG posted Thu, 12 September 2013 at 3:17 PM

I have nothing "work" releated to add here just saw your name as the last post auntietk and thought I would interrupt really quick to say HELLO! Hope you are doing well:)

Stac

auntietk posted Thu, 12 September 2013 at 3:32 PM

Doin' great, Stacey!  Thanks for checking in!  :)  We're traveling full time now, and having a ball.  Life is good!

Hope you're liking your new job.  But don't you miss us whining at you all the time?  :P

auntietk posted Fri, 13 September 2013 at 12:43 AM

Well, no comment bots again today.  They show up on the notification page here on RR, but no emails.  :(

Please fix soon!  :)

svdl posted Sun, 06 October 2013 at 8:39 AM

The zoom function shows some strange behavior. When I make an image, it's usually a "full screen" size one, like 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 px. On the image page itself it's shrunk, of course, but when I zoom the image gets blown up. Not good for quality!

Can the zoom function be fixed to display images at their native resolutions?

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

TinaK posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 10:34 AM

@svdl,

I will look into this issue for you today.

Thanks

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

svdl posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 5:08 PM

Thanks!

I checked - in Chrome the zoom function displays in native image resolution, but in IE10 it zooms in too much. I don't have Firefox.

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64bit, all the latest updates.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

svdl posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 5:48 PM

Tina, I figured out what was wrong in IE. It was user error - I had the zoom function of IE at 135% instead of at 100%. So there is nothing wrong with the zoom!

My excuses to the developers.

TinaK posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 7:02 PM

Oh that is good news.  I can now check this off my list.

Glad it is working properly for you.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager