Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is there a way to create flames in Poser 9?

Michaelab opened this issue on Aug 27, 2013 · 38 posts

Michaelab posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 10:47 AM

I need to create flames in Poser 9 and I need to have them so I can manipulate their shape so that if I wanted to have a flaming spiral I can do it.

Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

bagginsbill posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 11:58 AM

Here is a fire material I made.

It is automatically animated if you make a movie instead of a still image.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 11:59 AM

Here it is applied to a poser spiral prop, surrounding a cylinder.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 12:01 PM

Here it is also applied to the cylinder.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 12:06 PM

And now applied to a chair.

SamTherapy posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 12:10 PM

Chuffing hell, that's superb, BB.  Thanks very much for sharing it.  

I have a picture in my mind of - you guessed it - burning Daleks.  :)  

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Michaelab posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 1:42 PM

Thanks, BB, I'll have a go with this and see how I can make it work for some of what I have in mind. Looks very workable. Is there a way to make it into a single flame of varying sizes? I also need that capability.

Michaelab posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 8:32 AM

Anybody have pointers or tutorial on how to make a single morphable flame in Poser 9?

BadKittehCo posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 9:26 AM

Thee is this. I'm not sure if it fits exactly what you need but take a look. http://www.daz3d.com/smoke-and-flames-tool

___
Renderosity Store  Personal nick: Conniekat8
Hi, my name is "No, Bad Kitteh, NOO", what's yours? 

WoolyLoach posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 11:33 AM

Quote - Here it is applied to a poser spiral prop, surrounding a cylinder.

Tht is sweet - I can find a million uses for this! Thanks a TON!!!

Michaelab posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 11:40 AM

Yes, I will too, but I'm also needing just a single flame that I can us in a similar manner as BB demonstrated.

Also, how do I install the Fire.mt5.txt file? Do I need to change the extension?

RorrKonn posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 12:19 PM

For stills or animation ya could just put the flames in the renders or add them in post.

For a still ya could just paint it in post.

For anamtions app's like after effects.
I'm sure there' more then a few CGI flames app's out there.
Blender can make Flames.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

Michaelab posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 12:25 PM

Not looking for animation. Just need to be able to render a 3d representation of a single flame spiraling upward.

RorrKonn posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quote - Not looking for animation. Just need to be able to render a 3d representation of a single flame spiraling upward.

Easyiest fastest way would be after you rendered ya Poser render.
Send it to a 2D App & paint the flame in.

Gimps a very good Free 2D App.

PrecisionXXX posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 3:40 PM

http://runevision.com/3d/include/particles/

Hope this link works, not for poser, but also doesn't have to be an animation either.  Have to scroll down a little to see what I mean. 

Doric.

Oh, yeah, run the animation.  Cool.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

Michaelab posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 5:32 PM

Dumb question:

How do I install and apply the Fire.mt5.txt file BB posted above? Do I need to change the extension to something else besides a txt file?

Michaelab posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 5:35 PM

Because when I tried applying the file in the material room to a primitive sphere and even after trying all sorts of extensions (.jpg, .mtl and leaving it as .txt) nothing shows on the sphere.

Latexluv posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 5:47 PM

Remove the txt extention and place into your Materials folder. From there you can apply the shader to an object. I have a folder inside of my Materials Folder completely dedicated to BB's shaders.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Michaelab posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 5:54 PM

Quote - Remove the txt extention and place into your Materials folder.

Thank you, but what do I change the extension to?

RorrKonn posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 6:20 PM

just delete the ".txt" and try "Fire.mt5"

if "Fire.mt5" don't work change the .txt to what ever extensions are in the Materials folder.

there are .mt5's in the Materials folder.

stallion posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 6:22 PM

Save it as         fire.mt5       place it in the material file in your runtime.

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

Michaelab posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 6:45 PM

Thank you, that worked. Much appreciative of the help.

Now big question: How do I make my own material? Is there a tutorial on how to make a material I can then apply to a shape? I'm needing to have a different flame pattern.

Also, when I apply BB's flame to a sphere it covers the bottom half. How do I get it to cover the whole sphere?

Michaelab posted Thu, 29 August 2013 at 9:52 AM

Ok, forget the question about making my own materials, what I need to know is:

When I apply BB's flame to a sphere it covers the bottom half. How do I get it to cover the whole sphere?

bagginsbill posted Fri, 30 August 2013 at 6:35 AM

Sorry I've been away - I'm in bug-fix and release week for my real work.

Here I modified the material to remove the modulation that was based on surface normal pointing up or down. This version will produce flames over the entire object you use it on. This will look less like a natural fire, but since you asked for it, here it is.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 30 August 2013 at 6:36 AM

Comparison.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 30 August 2013 at 6:39 AM

You can adjust the density of the flames in the advanced material room. Find the Fractal_Sum node. The amount of "gaps" and/or reddish flame areas is controlled by the "Bottom" parameter. As you raise "Bottom", the gaps will appear more. Here I changed it from .1 to .3.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 30 August 2013 at 6:56 AM

If you want large gaps but still have sharp-edged yellow flames, also increase bias.

Michaelab posted Fri, 30 August 2013 at 6:58 AM

Hi BagginsBill! Thank you for that.

Since I've got you online (I hope) I have a couple questions:

1. Will this material apply to your orbs? Because I can't get it to.

2. Is there a way to make your flames morph into a single flame that I can then morph to different shapes and sizes?

bagginsbill posted Fri, 30 August 2013 at 7:19 AM

A single flame versus a fire - obviously these are related but they are so different that this shader simply does not apply.

Are you trying to use a BB orb because it is small? The fire material in this thread will
"apply" but is likely to not make sense. The random flames and gaps it produces are larger than the orb - it is likely that the orb falls entirely in a gap and becomes invisible, or is entirely filled with yellow and looks nothing like a flame.

If you supply a flame prop, I may be able to produce a suitable material for it. But nothing is going to make a sphere look like a flame.

Michaelab posted Fri, 30 August 2013 at 7:26 AM

Well, I was just trying out your orb to see if it would produce a better ball of fire.

What I am looking for is a spiraling flame, something similar to:

http://www.flagstaffhearthandhome.com/images/homepage/torch2-581pix.jpg

or

http://www.loupiote.com/photos/31017504.shtml

or like this candle shape, but as a flame:

http://img1.etsystatic.com/022/1/7449142/il_570xN.486584027_5ytw.jpg

KageRyu posted Thu, 04 July 2019 at 10:39 PM

Stumbled on this thread looking for pointers on fire - BB's shaders look fantastic but the links appear to be dead. Any hope of getting them relinked, or a screenshot of the setup?

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

raven posted Fri, 05 July 2019 at 4:54 AM

@thekageRyu - You can get a BB fire shader from his Google site in the file cabinet area BB's stuff . It is for Firefly, not Superfly.

For P11 using Superfly, seachnasaigh has a material pack with a fire shader in the freestuff here

KageRyu posted Fri, 05 July 2019 at 7:02 AM

@raven - I had already checked there and I just checked again and the fire shader does not seem to be there. I realise it is for FF, that is what I am looking for.

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

willyb53 posted Fri, 05 July 2019 at 7:53 AM

I did this a while back, maybe it would work https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/flamer---a-flame-tool-for-poser/119177

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

KageRyu posted Fri, 05 July 2019 at 9:27 AM

@willyb53 thank you, I think I have that somewhere, but I am really just in need of a high end material. I have been trying to make one myself, but could use ideas, when I saw the BB posts earlier I thought those looked perfect, and animatable (which would really be handy). I am retexturing several objects/figures for a project.

raven posted Fri, 05 July 2019 at 9:33 AM

@theKageRyu - just looked and downloaded it to check, it's still there.

bb_fire.jpg

KageRyu posted Fri, 05 July 2019 at 9:39 AM

@raven - Thank you, I did not look under file cabinet I was looking under free stuff. I see it now, and I appreciate the pointer to it. I am sorry I missed it earlier.

raven posted Fri, 05 July 2019 at 10:05 AM

No problem, glad you've got it now! 😀