Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Supporting figures

EClark1894 opened this issue on Sep 08, 2013 · 37 posts

EClark1894 posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 8:12 AM

Okay, once again, as you know, I'm making a concerted effort to support the native Poser figures with freebies. At some point I suppose I'll start selling some of the clothes I make, but for now, I'm still learnng the process and I figure the community might as well benefit.

But here's the thing... at what point do YOU consider a figure to be well supported? What I'm asking is do you think there is a magic number of outfits, or pose sets,  stores, or vendors ( or other content providers) that has to support  a figure? And I'm not just asking for the Poser figures, but for all of them including Dawn, V4, Genesis, Michelle, etc.

LaurieA posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 8:27 AM

Well, I would say, since V4 is over 7 years old, and because there is still stuff coming out for her, that there IS no magic number - depending on the figure. I think in the Poserverse perhaps that the magic number would be subjective to each person, depending on how much they were fond of which figure. That doesn't necessarily match up with what sells though ;). The only figure that is profitable ATM is Vicky 4, so a vendor has two choices: produce for the higher income and spite the few customers that don't use what they produce, or produce for the few customers despite the much lower income. In the end, it's the vendor that decides when enough is enough really ;). When profit is less than effort, that's usually the end. I don't know too many people that will put in more effort than what they gain in return, at least not for very long, except maybe in the charity business (which has its own rewards), but the Poser business is definitely not charity. LOL ;).

Laurie

saibabameuk posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 9:06 AM

> Quote - least not for very long, except maybe in the charity business (which has its own rewards), but the Poser business is definitely not charity. LOL ;).Laurie

Nothing wrong with making money, quite right Laurie,but can I take this opertunity to thank all the Poser forums for the free help and support .It has saved the charity I work with a lot of money,the saved money has been used in their hospitals colleges and schools.

Thank you Poser people.

LaurieA posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 9:20 AM

Yeah, there are a lot of great free content makers out there :). Cudos guys...we all do loves the freebies. LOL

Laurie

basicwiz posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 9:49 AM

Fior me, a figure is "well supported" when I have all of the things for it that it takes to make it useful in "a common-place setting." For me, this includes underwear, bathing suit, both casual and formal shoes, Jeans, tops, shorts, a suit (males), a professional wear set (females) and enough skins (4 or more) so that they all don't look related.

I will add one comment to the discussion of free content: Please. Either make it completely free to use in commercial content, or don't release it. It is too much trouble keeping up with restrictions, so I don't download "free" content that is not truly free.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 10:58 AM

Tyler is a total work of art, keep hoping for support for him.  expression packs, poses, clothes!, hair, elfs and fairies, grunge, nitty gritty badass 

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

dphoadley posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 11:10 AM

I want more products and freebies for Posette & Judy!!  All the Vickies I have absolutely NO use for!

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

RedPhantom posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:20 PM Site Admin

To me I know a figure is well suported when I can find stuff for them. Not just an outfit or 2 but a wardrobe, textures, character morphs. If there's a lot of hair made for that character too rather than hair fits then the that character has "arrived". Most people don't make hair for unpopular figures. It's too easy to adjust from other figures.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

LaurieA posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:20 PM

Quote - I want more products and freebies for Posette & Judy!!  All the Vickies I have absolutely NO use for!

Don't hold your breath or anything.

Laurie

3Dream posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 5:56 PM

Clothes are very important to give support to the native Poser figures!

Anyway and in my opinion, good and well made POSES are a thing the can give a excellent support to the native Poser Figures.

Unfortunatly, most of costumers apply poses from other figures in the native Poser Figures and they get a not so good result since that poses were not made especially for them. That make them give up of using the native Poser Figures

I made 3 free poses for Rex figure (in my Renderosity Free Stuff) but making poses is not what I do best and I have so many projects to do.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=71951 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=71954 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=71979

Well made POSES and a lot of variety of CLOTHES and realistic CHARACTERS are in my opinion the best to support the native Poser figures!

Sorry for my bad English

STOREhttps://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/vendors/3Dream

FREEBIEShttps://www.renderosity.com/users/3Dream/freestuff

EClark1894 posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 7:29 PM

Doesn't matter. I understood every word.

ssgbryan posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 8:20 PM

Quote - Clothes are very important to give support to the native Poser figures!

Anyway and in my opinion, good and well made POSES are a thing the can give a excellent support to the native Poser Figures.

Unfortunatly, most of costumers apply poses from other figures in the native Poser Figures and they get a not so good result since that poses were not made especially for them. That make them give up of using the native Poser Figures

I made 3 free poses for Rex figure (in my Renderosity Free Stuff) but making poses is not what I do best and I have so many projects to do.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=71951 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=71954 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=71979

Well made POSES and a lot of variety of CLOTHES and realistic CHARACTERS are in my opinion the best to support the native Poser figures!

Sorry for my bad English

I agree with you on poses - I am converting a number of freebie V3/M3/V4/M4 pose sets for for use with non-DAZ figures, and it does take a bit of work.

EClark1894 posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 9:00 AM

Poses are mostly a subjective art anyway. It all depends on what you like and don't like.  Or what looks right to you. Look at photographers when they pose their models. They move them around until they look good to him and his perspective. Yet if you were to step back and do a 360 around the model, you'd notice some odd twists, turns and bends.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 10:01 AM

Quote - > Quote - I want more products and freebies for Posette & Judy!!  All the Vickies I have absolutely NO use for!

Don't hold your breath or anything.

Laurie

when i try to pose Judy her mesh, like, crumples.  

it would be kewl if the next poser came with wm versions of all their stock figures.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

EClark1894 posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 7:21 AM

Quote - when i try to pose Judy her mesh, like, crumples.  

it would be kewl if the next poser came with wm versions of all their stock figures.

Quote - Don't hold your breath or anything.

Laurie

toastie posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 7:41 AM

Quote - .....

I will add one comment to the discussion of free content: Please. Either make it completely free to use in commercial content, or don't release it. It is too much trouble keeping up with restrictions, so I don't download "free" content that is not truly free.

I'm fine with people putting restrictions on their free stuff if they want - they made it so it's up to them, but please mark it clearly as restricted use to avoid any problems.

Also it would be really useful if Renderosity split the freebie section into commercial and non-commercial use. It's a waste of time not to be able to see this immediately with the item. And also it's very often the case that an item will be marked on the Renderosity free section as being for commercial use, but when you go to download it (eg. from ShareCG) there are restrictions marked.

toastie posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 7:42 AM

Quote - Tyler is a total work of art, keep hoping for support for him.  expression packs, poses, clothes!, hair, elfs and fairies, grunge, nitty gritty badass 

Definitely! :biggrin:

EClark1894 posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 11:06 AM

Tyler, like Alyson2 has more morphs which I like. But out of the box, I like Rex. Now if Rex had all of Tyler's morphs. Hmm... I wonder if you can transfer Tyler's morphs to Rex.

Excuse me I have start a new thread!

Teyon posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 11:55 PM

A little time spent with Rex and ZBrush. If you can guess who it is, I'll be super happy. lol

Teyon posted Thu, 12 September 2013 at 1:43 AM

Yup...still lots of life left in Rex and Roxie. Give 'em a whirl folks, you'll be surprised at what you can achieve.

EClark1894 posted Thu, 12 September 2013 at 5:35 AM

Kinda Looks like the Watcher from Marvel Comics.

toastie posted Fri, 13 September 2013 at 12:54 PM

Quote - A little time spent with Rex and ZBrush. If you can guess who it is, I'll be super happy. lol

The little guy from Game of Thrones?

Teyon posted Fri, 13 September 2013 at 3:10 PM

He does look like a small version of Uatu. Toastie, you are correct, it is Peter Dinklage. Or will be.

toastie posted Fri, 13 September 2013 at 3:44 PM

Quote - He does look like a small version of Uatu. Toastie, you are correct, it is Peter Dinklage. Or will be.

That's the one. Yay! Go me. So when do I get my copy of PP2014 as a prize? :biggrin:

-Timberwolf- posted Sat, 14 September 2013 at 8:38 AM

Support means to me : Texture, characters , clothes and poses. Nice , that we have some clothes for Roxie and Rex now, but where are the texture and character sets? Where are the "ultimate body Morphs".

basicwiz posted Sat, 14 September 2013 at 8:47 AM

I agree, timberwolf...

With the ease of clothing conversion at this juncture, I think having a variety of textures and the ability to make morphs are the key to a figure being useful. I'm like you. I LIKE Rex and Roxie, but the textures so far have been, to put it kindly, disapointing.

-Timberwolf- posted Sat, 14 September 2013 at 9:03 AM

'sigh' SmithMicro doesn't even seem to support there own Figures. There should be at least something at ContentParadise.

EClark1894 posted Sat, 14 September 2013 at 10:03 AM

Content Paradise is mostly a brokerage. I've come to accept that.  Their only real connection to Poser seems to be that they are owned by the same company. It would be nice if they did actively start supporting  their own figures though. I wouldn't mind selling some of my clothing there when I start selling but frankly, their download policy just turns me off. I wish they'd change it.

EClark1894 posted Sat, 14 September 2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote - Support means to me : Texture, characters , clothes and poses. Nice , that we have some clothes for Roxie and Rex now, but where are the texture and character sets? Where are the "ultimate body Morphs".

Clothes and poses I can do. I'm working on some poses for Roxie right now, and want to follow up with a set for Rex.

I don't know how others feel, but my motivation is to put the clothing out there to give people the option to use these figures. I don't do textures and characters, but I'm hoping that others will fill the gap if they see more people using the Poser figures. Even if it's just as background characters. I never bought many characters for V4 because frankly they all look pretty much the same to me.

-Timberwolf- posted Sat, 14 September 2013 at 11:03 AM

I like your work, but too bad that there are only a few supporters.  I am quite aware you can not do everything. So please don't feel pushed. :)

PrecisionXXX posted Sun, 15 September 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quote - > Quote - Support means to me : Texture, characters , clothes and poses. Nice , that we have some clothes for Roxie and Rex now, but where are the texture and character sets? Where are the "ultimate body Morphs".

Clothes and poses I can do. I'm working on some poses for Roxie right now, and want to follow up with a set for Rex.

I don't know how others feel, but my motivation is to put the clothing out there to give people the option to use these figures. I don't do textures and characters, but I'm hoping that others will fill the gap if they see more people using the Poser figures. Even if it's just as background characters. I never bought many characters for V4 because frankly they all look pretty much the same to me.

I'd like a few more morphs for Roxie, and at least a "younger" morph for Rex.  I agree about the character morphs for V4 etc., the only characters I bought were Shanti and Spice from Adam Thwaites.  The rest were just more of what I wasn't looking for. 

I'm not too bothered by the textures, but some means of easily changing the overall skin tone a little, not really anything wild, would add a lot. 

On the matter of clothing, you're doing great.  CLothing that I can actually  use is always welcome and dynamic beats conforming skirts, no contest.

Doric.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

EClark1894 posted Sun, 15 September 2013 at 9:55 AM

Well, as far as that goes, I've decided that when I do a conforming skirt, I'll also add a dynamic skirt in the prop files so users can have a choice of which to use. I did that with the Tennis skirt I just uploaded and I think people like that.

basicwiz posted Sun, 15 September 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quote -
I'm not too bothered by the textures, but some means of easily changing the overall skin tone a little, not really anything wild, would add a lot. 

Snarleygribley has you covered. Ezskin2 will do that very easily.

basicwiz posted Sun, 15 September 2013 at 12:24 PM

Quote - Well, as far as that goes, I've decided that when I do a conforming skirt, I'll also add a dynamic skirt in the prop files so users can have a choice of which to use. I did that with the Tennis skirt I just uploaded and I think people like that.

This is the best news I've heard from a PA in years!

EClark1894 posted Sun, 15 September 2013 at 1:12 PM

Well, aside from sticking it in a prop file folder, it's not like it's any extra work.

basicwiz posted Sun, 15 September 2013 at 1:13 PM

Did you not have to setup a constrained group or anything?

EClark1894 posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 9:04 PM

Nope. Particularly in this case. And the only place I couls see doing it would be the should straps. I actually wan;t going to put a dynamic version in, but changed my mind at the last minute. I realize that a lot of people like Doric do like dynamic. I do too, but as I've said before, I was really trying to learn how to conform a skirt.