Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Multiple figures in Poser

VolcanicMink opened this issue on Sep 16, 2013 · 19 posts

VolcanicMink posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 7:36 PM

A while back, someone asked about bringing multiple figures into a Poser scene, and I think the answer was layering them in PS. But what would I do with all the pose sets for couples, fights, etc? I currently have Poser8 and I think I can bring in a second new figure, but not a completed one. Do later versions make this possible? I'm upgrading to PP12 soon..

estherau posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 8:19 PM

Yes, now you know there is a sale on on older posers like 9, but anyway poser X does allow plenty of figures.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

markschum posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 8:36 PM

how many figures ?

I typically have 5 or 6 V4, v3 , m4 , m3 in a scene with hair and clothing.  I have to be careful about texture sizes but I run Poser 7 under windows xp with 512 mb of real memory. Image sizes of 1024 x 768 roughly. 

You ned to layer for crowd scenes but not for normal renders.

estherau posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 8:43 PM

I never play with  my texture sizes.  My scene gets pretty heavy and sluggish once I get to about 10 fully dressed daz figures in poser with hair etc in a scene eg a classroom.  sometimes I slip in a few lorez figures too like loretta lorez, but it can be done.  I do have lots of RAM though 48GB and a mac pro.

Love esther

PS for massive crowd scenes I use vue because I can save multiple figures as vue objects and then I can use them as instances and multiply them by thousands if I want.

shvrdavid posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 9:14 PM

PP2014 will handle a lot of characters.

I have 65-70 total characters loaded here, 18 people with clothes, hair. Animals, envirosphere, lots of props, etc. PP2014 takes 4.9 gig as soon as scene is loaded into it.

You have to be running the 64 bit version to get this many in one scene.

When you work with scenes this big, things can get rather sluggish depending on the speed and resources of the system. Poser 2014 is still stable with this much loaded.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Joe@HFG posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 9:20 PM

Quote - I have to be careful about texture sizes but I run Poser 7 under windows xp with 512 mb of real memory.

:-o

I have cell phones with better specs!!! LOL!!!
You deserve a medal for geting anything done!!!

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

VolcanicMink posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 10:44 PM

OK, but do you have to start with all of the basic models in the scene and create them together? Do you export them and import them as obj's? Once they're obj's they can't be tweaked with, can they? I guess I'm not seeing how these pose sets are used when the characters are in close proximity.

estherau posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 10:59 PM

Yes, forgot to mention the wireframe view is better than the textured display.

markschum posted Tue, 17 September 2013 at 12:05 AM

@volcanicmike - I just load the figure, clothing, hair, morphs, textures as needed. You should not be having any problems with two figures , clothing, hair etc  loaded to a scene and rendered.   The order does not matter.  

If you are a complete beginner I suggest read the manual, its a pdf file available from the help menu. Or visit Dr Geeps website http://drgeep.com/  for some tutorials.

Poser 7 which I use is a 32 bit application so has a memory limit of 4 gb. You can hit that with a large render size and high resolution textures. Poser 2012 haas a 64 bit version that allows much more memory. 

svdl posted Tue, 17 September 2013 at 9:51 AM

lol, more than 1 figure.... 10 is more like my minimum, and I've gone up to about 30 human figures, plus clothing, shoes, hairs, environment - close to 100 figs in a single scene.

A bit of horsepower helps, currently using an i7/32 GB RAM/ Win7 Pro 64 bit, and Poser Pro 2014.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

VolcanicMink posted Tue, 17 September 2013 at 2:53 PM

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant people figures (M4, V4, Jessi, etc.).

estherau posted Tue, 17 September 2013 at 2:53 PM

it's good to have HW shading turned off when working with lots of figures.

Believable3D posted Tue, 17 September 2013 at 6:27 PM

Even under my old Quad Core, I had 4-6 clothed human figures in scenes a number of times. And that was 32 bit. I can't figure out what your issue is, honestly. Poser has never had a problem with multiple figures since I've been using it.

But as said above, just how many figures will be dependent upon your system.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

lesbentley posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 7:29 PM

> Quote - OK, but do you have to start with all of the basic models in the scene and create them together? Do you export them and import them as obj's? Once they're obj's they can't be tweaked with, can they? I guess I'm not seeing how these pose sets are used when the characters are in close proximity.

How many figures you can have in a scene at once, depends more on the specification of your PC, than on your Poser version. Unless your PC is very old, you should be able to load and render at the least four figures, and probably many more on a good machine. To load an additional figure, select it in the Figure library, then click on the double tick (US "check") icon at the bottom of the Figures palette. Be sure to use the Double tick, not the single tick.

Quote - OK, but do you have to start with all of the basic models in the scene and create them together?

I'm not sure what you mean by "create them together". You don't create figures you load them. You can apply a character to a figure by applying morphs to it, or create a character by creating morphs, and applying them to a figure. As to "together", no, you can load them separately.

Quote - Do you export them and import them as obj's?

No, not normally.

Quote - Once they're obj's they can't be tweaked with, can they?

Yes, that's correct. That's one reason why you should not convert them to obj files.

Quote - I guess I'm not seeing how these pose sets are used when the characters are in close proximity.

In Poser, only one figure at a time is the active (selected) figure. When you apply a pose, it will apply to the active figure only. You can see which is the active figure by looking in the drop-down Figures list. The active figure will have a tick next to it (see attached image). To apply a pose to a different figure, change which figure is active (selected).

With pose files for couples, you will have a separate pose file for each figure. There will usually be instructions on how to use the poses in the documentation that came with them. You may need to use 'Set Figure Parent' (in the Figure menu) to parent one figure to the other, so that you can position them both as a unit. You could then translate or rotate  the Body actor of the parent figure, and the child figure would follow.

VolcanicMink posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 1:57 AM

Thank you!

What I meant by "create" was adding the morphs to the model (M4) to "create" a character. In this case, I have 2 male characters, each created in a separate file. From what I understand, I cannot load one guy into a fight scene with the other, but must load a new M4 into one scene or the other, and "build" the second character there with the first. Correct?

markschum posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 7:51 AM

No.

If you load m4 , then load the morphs and apply a character morph and texture, add clothing an hair you can save the entire thing to the figures library with a new name. you get a prompt about saving the group. It is then available to load into another scene. 

When I do a series I save each complete character to the library so I dont have to asemble it every time I want to use it in a new scene.

VolcanicMink posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 10:21 AM

!!!Thank you!!!

I finally understand! Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but it finally makes sense. I did not realize I could do this.

markschum posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 12:24 PM

Saving many complete figures will use disk space, so if you dont need them often it makes sense to just load and assemble  it as you build the scene.  If you have a favorite that you use often, or are doing a series it makes sense to assemble them once and save it to the library so you can load it quickly.

welcome to the joys of Poser !   

EClark1894 posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 1:09 PM

Here's a scene from one of my comics. I did this scene in Poser 7. In addition to the streets, buildings, and cars, V3 is in the scene, and that's Michael 3 in the SWAT uniforms. Later on, I also added another Michael 3, a Van and V4 to the scene. Didn't delete anything. Now I will make this caveat. I didn't really load that many michaels one at a time and dress them, I loaded one Michael and then Duplicated him and everything he was wearing. Just saved time that way.