Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Question about Creating Morphs

Darchind opened this issue on Sep 21, 2013 · 11 posts

Darchind posted Sat, 21 September 2013 at 8:12 PM

I have observed that when creating morphs with Poser's magnet system, there are a lot of limitations. For this reason, I would prefer to create morphs (e.g.: skirt blowing in the wind) in 3DS Max.

When I've created my geometry, changed its geometry and saved it as a new .obj, I can load it as a morph target in Poser. Anytime I move the morph dial, the geometry will change according to the new .obj I saved and loaded. The problem I am having is that when I do this, it changes the entire figure geometry every single time I use any morph.

Is there a way to create morphs in 3DS Max, but to only affect specific parts of my geometry?

For example, if I created a skirt and I wanted the left side to blow in one direction but the right side to blow in the other, how would I go about doing that?

markschum posted Sat, 21 September 2013 at 8:52 PM

can you say what Poser version you are using, what figure and how you are laoding the morph ?

with M4 for example you would export a body part geometry, make the morph and load it to that body part. morphs that span body parts requires one morph per body part, and then set them and spawn an FBM. I can't comment on the M5 or genesis fifgures or Poser versions after Poser 7.

Darchind posted Sat, 21 September 2013 at 9:23 PM

I'm using Poser Pro 2012, 64-bit.

How do you exit a body part geometry? From the sound of it, you're isolating a part of the geometry and manipulating only that part so that when the morph target is loaded it affects only that part.

TrekkieGrrrl posted Sat, 21 September 2013 at 9:34 PM

Well you'll have to split it up in several smaller morphs. You can apply several morphs to one obj, no problem there. Say you take the right side of the dress and make a "move Right" morph on that. Save that obj and apply as a morph target. Then you make a new morph, from the original obj. Pull a bit of the left side and make a "move left" morph. Export new obj and load THAT as a morph target, too. You now have two morphs on your skirt. And so you continue until you have all the morphs you want. It's a slow process but in no way impossible :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Darchind posted Sat, 21 September 2013 at 10:10 PM

Wow. That makes me feel really dumb. LOL. Apparently what I was doing wrong was I was creating the morph from the original .obj in 3DS max, but then I was trying to create a morph from that already morphed .obj, resulting in the rest of the vertices going whack.

That clears up my entire problem. That you very much.

Darchind posted Sat, 21 September 2013 at 11:35 PM

'Just ran into a new problem. It seems that anytime I try to warp a model, when I load it as a morph target I get the error prompt, "Target has wrong number of vertices." From what I have gathered, moving, rotating or scaling the figure in any way or form causes this error.

Is there any way I can edit the mesh without disturbing the number of vertices in the process?

TrekkieGrrrl posted Sun, 22 September 2013 at 9:15 AM

When you get the Wrong Number Of Vertices error it's usually due to a welding error. Make absolutely sure that you do not click the "weld identical vertices" in Poser at any point of the operation. It will change the number of verts and then the morph won't import. Of course you shouldn't alter the obj in any way (except for pulling vertices to make the morph) in Max either. No smoothing, no welding and of course no subdivision of any kind.

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

-Timberwolf- posted Sun, 22 September 2013 at 11:03 AM

Pm to "colorcurvature" here at Rendo and ask where and how to buy "Posemorphloader". It's essential for export/import obj-files for making morphs. If you follow the manual, you won't have any trouble with obj-files. Poser is allmost useless without it  ;).

TrekkieGrrrl posted Sun, 22 September 2013 at 11:08 AM

PML is no doubt a gret program. But not essential. I don' thave it.. Or rather I think I do but I coudnt' figure out how to use it. Oldfashioned export/import works fine, as long as you pay attention to the checkboxes :)

-Timberwolf- posted Sun, 22 September 2013 at 11:18 AM

The good thing about PML is, that you don't have to worry a lot. Use the exporter, check full body or bodyparts and "go". reimport works by "comparing" exported and altered obj-file. Your exported obj can be morphed or posed it just doesn't matter. The best is you can make a 3D postwork in your favourit modeller to elliminate unwanted jointcreases and reimport it in Poser. Just nice :)

Darchind posted Sun, 22 September 2013 at 3:12 PM

Poser Morph Loader. I'll definitely look into that. These additional steps lead me to see why Mytilus said he prefers to use the magnets for his morphs, lol. He's the artist/seller I talk with most often.

I never have the "Weld Identical Vertices" option checked, by the way.