Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Anyone using tree[d] by frecle?

TheOwl opened this issue on Oct 07, 2013 · 7 posts

TheOwl posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 7:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=treed.about

I downloaded this free tree generator and made a sample tree.

I exported the tree to wavefront OBJ and imported it to poser.

I copy pasted the textures (png files with transparent background) from the software's texture library.

The result looks like a tree made of post cards.

What do I need to tweak on the material settings to make this work?

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3631/yq7e.jpg

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

Teyon posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 8:09 PM

You need a transparency mask to mask out the unwanted bits of your leaf texture. To do that you'll need to plug that mask into the transparency setting and set transparency to 1.

Did it include a transparency map? If not, you'll have to make one yourself I guess.

willyb53 posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 10:48 PM Online Now!

Here is one trick that I use on occasion, saves makeing a transparancy map

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

LaurieA posted Tue, 08 October 2013 at 5:25 PM

I've used it. I like Arbaro and Baum3D better tho ;).

Laurie

TheOwl posted Tue, 08 October 2013 at 5:45 PM

Ok I made a transparency map but rendering a close up shot still shows a semi transparent film that was not there when viewing in preview mode.

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

Teyon posted Wed, 09 October 2013 at 2:14 AM

Did you also turn transparecny edge to 1? If not, you should.  That'll probably take care of it.

bagginsbill posted Wed, 09 October 2013 at 6:41 AM

Transparency_edge should be 1 but that won't necessarily take care of it. Plug the transparency map into that as well, or it will do the wrong thing in the other direction (making the leaf fully transparent when viewed edge-wise.)

Or - set Transparency_Falloff to 0, in which case Transparency_Edge becomes irrelevant.

However - the real culprit is usually that the specular channel fires even on transparent things. This was done because the designers of the material room imagined transparency could mean "clear plastic", like a soda bottle. When, instead, you use transparency to mean "nothing here", you must also modulate the specularity so there isn't any. Plug the transparency map into Specular_Value.

If you have any other effect enabled, that, too, may need to be modulated. For example, if there is reflection in the Reflection_Color, this will be a problem. This is one of the reasons I always use the Alternate_Diffuse channel for reflection.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)