Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: "Poser 8/9 has stopped working" after IE10 Win7 64bit update?

3dcheapskate opened this issue on Oct 15, 2013 · 36 posts

3dcheapskate posted Tue, 15 October 2013 at 10:14 PM

I'm not 100% sure that there's a cause/effect relationship here, but from the checks I've done over the past couple of days it looks likely.

But if there is a causal relationship I'd expect many, many people to have the same problem, especially since so many people have just grabbed Poser 9.

So is anybody else getting this?

More details if anybody's interested...

Initial symptoms:

Around midday on Monday 14th (two days ago) Poser 8 and Poser 9 suddenly stopped working. I start them up, the UI frame displays, but before the full UI is displayed I get that not-too-helpful " has stopped working" message.

No problem with Poser 6 though - that still works fine.

I also get the same error if I try to open McAfee Security Centre (although the real-time scanning seems okay). I haven't noticed it with any other programs (although I probably haven't run any others).

In Safe Mode I could open McAfee Security Centre and run a scan with no problem (didn't try running Poser)

Attempts to work out what's causing it:

I uninstalled Poser 8/9 and reinstalled Poser 9. Same problem.

I did a basic check of my system (Dell Inspiron 15R) - Dell Diagnostics (everything passes), chkdsk c: /r (no problems), full virus scan (McAfee Security Centre - no issues detected).

I looked at eventvwr and found the logged events (level=error, source=application, eventID=1000, taskCategory=(100)) which from what I've read possibly indicate DEP (Data Execution Prevention). The stuff I've read about getting round DEP doesn't make sense, so I did nothing.

I then used System Restore to revert to a Restore Point just prior to the first occurance. Problem gone - Poser 9 and McAfee Security Centre run fine.

On shutdown Windows Update ran again... and on rebvoot the problems back. Checked to see what was in the update - four items including "Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems". Uninstalled Windows 10 - problem gone.

Conclusion:

Which leads me to conclude that something in the IE10 Win7 64bit update doesn't like Poser 8/9 and McAfee Security Centre (or vice versa). But then, as I said, I'd expect loads and loads of people to have the same problem. And it could be other stuff I was doing about the same time (uninstalling/reinstalling all DAZ stuff, including DSON importer, creating an Ubuntu 12.04 bootable USB, etc - but that's unlikely given the final check i did)

(My system: Dell Inspiron 15R with Windows 7 Home Premium)

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).