Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Need help in Stone, Rock Matmatic shader

TheAnimaGemini opened this issue on Nov 06, 2013 · 64 posts

TheAnimaGemini posted Wed, 06 November 2013 at 2:31 AM

I try my hands on a really very good Stone, rock shader in Matmatic. But at last my results was not really the burner.
Is there any way to make Stone , rock shader really outstanding?
I work on Ancient Buildings like Maya, Sumerian temple and Pyramids. So I use texture, Displ and Normal Map.
But I would like to give the buildings really a great shader and not like my usual 3 nodes crap.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

I post this request over the Nodecult too :) Just in case.

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

monkeycloud posted Wed, 06 November 2013 at 2:58 AM

I quite often just run stone textures through EZSkin2, with the SSS option in the second tab changed to marble... and any stone textures in the figure / prop set to "Skin".

Depends if you're using Poser 9 / 2012 or above though... as it needs that SSS node.

It's a fairly lazy and inappropriate method probably... but looks okay to me usually, when I use it ;-)

I used this technique on the statue in my latest gallery post...

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2485786

...of course that statue model came with a beautifully painted texture to begin with... so the SSS is just giving it a little more zing, I think.

TheAnimaGemini posted Wed, 06 November 2013 at 4:14 AM

thanks monkeycloud. I will try. Sounds interesting:) I use Skinshader till now only on hair and skin. But yes, why it should not work on stones?

I use PP2014 .

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

LaurieA posted Wed, 06 November 2013 at 5:49 AM

keep in mind that things like limestone and sandstone really wouldn't have SSS on them but granite may ;).

Are you doing finished stone or rough?

Laurie

Snarlygribbly posted Wed, 06 November 2013 at 7:29 AM

The rock shader in this pic is configurable:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2138317&user_id=643665&np&np

The lichen and moss can be switched on/off as needed, as can the wetness towards the bottom of the rocks.

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

bagginsbill posted Wed, 06 November 2013 at 7:30 AM

I can help but we need to narrow the focus. I have a few interesting rock shaders I have never talked about, and I can show and explain some building blocks of these kinds of shaders.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Snarlygribbly posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 2:17 AM

Quote - I can help but we need to narrow the focus. I have a few interesting rock shaders I have never talked about, and I can show and explain some building blocks of these kinds of shaders.

Well, I'm certainly interested, sir.

Latexluv posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 4:46 AM

As am I! I have to rebuild all my BB shaders collection after my laptop died.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Hana-Hanabi posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 5:12 AM

Interest piqued. Ready to learn!

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

LaurieA posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 6:21 AM

watching @.@

Laurie

fonpaolo posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 6:49 AM

Me too!

parkdalegardener posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 6:50 AM

I'm watching and hoping to learn.

fonpaolo posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 7:02 AM

With BB as teacher, it's guaranteed! 

hborre posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 10:33 AM Online Now!

And please don't say you haven't any time.  That would be the ultimate tease.

bagginsbill posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm working on some presentations now. However, I'm experiencing bugs in PP2014 which I really haven't used very much. It crashes on me when I run matmatic, unlike PP2012.  I think I have now found how to avoid the crash, so I'm making progress.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 6:29 AM

Go get yourself this freebie:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=58326

We're going to make it look something like this image.

parkdalegardener posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 7:35 AM

Ready and waiting.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 12:13 PM

Sorry I took so long. I discovered many new and weird problems with shader nodes while building this shader. I am pretty satisfied to show it now. But - this is no trivial shader. It is over 100 lines of matmatic and generates 81 nodes. It has 25 important parameters - I could add more but I'll wait on that.

Here's a visual.

Now I have to think about how to explain how it works.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 12:35 PM

It does a decent brick, too.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 12:44 PM

The same shader is capable of doing plain rock as well.

Hana-Hanabi posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 1:13 PM

That is...wow. I am definitely ready to learn! I may even break my mental block and actually sit down and figure out how to work Matmatic after this. 

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 2:57 PM

I had to add just one more feature - a demonstration of how to do grime close to the ground.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:20 PM

Here is a zip file. I faked it as a .txt file so Rendo would let me upload it. When you download this, remove the .txt extension. If you have your OS set to "idiot" mode, you will not be able to do this. Make sure you can see file extensions for known file types - i.e. tell your OS not to hide file extensions. The file should end up as BBStoneTutorial1.zip when you're done.

This zip file contains a folder. This is not a runtime - it's just a folder. You should open the zip file and make the folder inside (BBStoneTutorial) go into one of your Poser Runtime/libraries/Materials containing folders.

In that folder, there is the matmatic script BBStone01.mm1.txt. If you are interested in matmatic techniques, read that.

Note: I need to push a new version of matmatic up to my server. I am using some new features in this script, so it is not likely to work for you at this time.

Also in that folder are the five materials that the script creates. These were set up to work on the freebie prop above, with the scales set right for the wall01 material zone.

More to come...

hborre posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:23 PM Online Now!

Awesome!  Thanks BB.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:26 PM

Load the wall prop. Go into advanced material room. In the wall01 material, load my BBstone01 UV material file that you got in the zip I gave you.

Look at my picture. See the red arrow - change PM:Tile Aspect Ratio to 1 like I did here.

Now look at your wall. (If you don't have advanced preview you may have to render to see this.)

Observe two things:

1. Look on the top half. The tiles are not square. This means the U scale and V scale in the UV mapping on the wall are not equal.

2. Look on the bottom half which is a gradient in U. Notice that it repeats black to white, then black to white, then black to white. The wall is not one piece - it's actually three different cards. There is even a little bit of gap between them.

The tile node doesn't work perfectly with uneven scales like this. And since the three-cards are not perfectly UV mapped 0 to 1 and not quite touching either, the tiles we make will appear to be a little messed up at the joints.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:30 PM

Now change the Tile Aspect Ratio to 1.25. The tiles look closer to square now.

You need to be aware of this aspect ratio that is burned into the UV map of your object.

Before you start wondering why you can't make things make sense, use this UV material to check it out.

I didn't exactly measure what is the perfect square ratio here. It's probably 1.3 or something. Just be aware that's all.

If you want wider tiles, increase the Tile Aspect Ratio. If you want narrower tiles, decrease it.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:35 PM

This is not a shader in the zip - it's just a demonstration of another problem to watch out for.

This is the cellular node at work, but this happens with others, too.

Do you see the obvious repetitions? Those are bad. When we work to make procedural versions of natural patterns, we should not see repetitions at all. When we get them, we have to do extra work to eliminate them. Be aware.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:40 PM

This is the turbulence node, with a pretty small scale, rendered on the upper right corner of the wall. Looks ok, right?

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:42 PM

Same shader, but now we're looking at the upper left corner. See the stripes? That's a math error in the node. There are other nodes that do this.

I tracked it down to this: Small scales and highly negative numbers - something goes bonkers. In this case, it's the negative X coordinates of all parts of the prop on the left side.

My workaround is to not let nodes like this use their own coordinate system. Instead, I extract the world coordinates using the P node, and I add a ton to them, like 5000 inches. This puts most props entirely into postive world coordinates, where the nodes generally behave themselves.

Such repairs and workarounds are only applicable on certain nodes. If you run into one, ask.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:47 PM

OK now let's talk about this shader.

Load the material BBstone01 DISP. This is a version of the shader that only does the displacement work. The color is simple white diffuse - no fancy tricks.

I did this so you can understand:

1. How important shape and texture is

2. Work with the shape and texture parameters to get a feel for them in isolation.

I'm using the word "texture" here to mean what you feel when you run your fingers over an object. I don't mean CG texture like we usually mean. I mean the word the way ordinary humans mean it - the fine bumps, ridges, wrinkles, pits, valleys, etc. that you can feel and know them without looking.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:50 PM

Scroll to the bottom and set the Cell Depth and Grit Depth to 0.

Observe the clean tile shape!

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:52 PM

Change the Tile Size node. I switched to .5 - now they're half the size they were, but still have the same aspect ratio.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:54 PM

Change the mortar width. This actually changes the sloped edges of the tiles as well as the mortar width. I don't like this - but it's just the way the tile node works.

After we learn all about this shader, I'll show you how to build a proper tile behavior from scratch, using only math nodes and the U and V nodes. Then we won't have this problem.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:55 PM

Change the tile depth. This is not an effect on the tile node - it's in the math I use to turn that node's output into a depth map.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:59 PM

Change the tile depth bias. This is a Math:Bias node I added to let you manipulate the tile edge shape a little. Stay between 0 and 1 for this value. The value .5 is neutral and does nothing.

What's happening here with bias?

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 4:03 PM

Change the tile softness. This is a dumb name - it's actually the tile edge "gain" (related to bias) but the Tile node calls it Softness so I kept the name.

Gain (softness) can alter the steepness of the transition at the edge from 0 to 1.

We use it here (along with bias) to make puffy tiles and other shapes. Cool eh?

Play around - stay inside 0 to 1.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 4:05 PM

I'll take a break now. I know you can't wait to play.

So - load the BBstone01 brick and manipulate the Tile shapes as I've just shown you.

Can you make puffy bricks like this?

Ask questions. Note: I am out this evening.

Latexluv posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 5:46 PM

Fantastic! I copied everything! There SO needs to be a community archive of your public shaders. I had computer crash and lost all your published PP2012 shaders. I might be able to have data recovery from the old drive, but I wish there was a place I could go to grab all the shaders I that are missing. Luckily the computer sees my old external so I have your shaders as of Poser Pro 2010, but not the newer ones so I'm crawling through forums looking for them. Thank you so much for posting this!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Hana-Hanabi posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 6:13 PM

Just a curosity, was BBGlossy2 released to the public, or are we still on tinterhooks for that?

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 12:54 AM

Soory for be so late. I get no ebot for this thread.

Here I have a rough render. It has only the Texture on it, no Bump, no displ.

Just to show you what I mean.

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 12:55 AM

Quote - I'll take a break now. I know you can't wait to play.

So - load the BBstone01 brick and manipulate the Tile shapes as I've just shown you.

Can you make puffy bricks like this?

Ask questions. Note: I am out this evening.

This looks amazing. Far away from what I created.

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 12:57 AM

another try

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 12:59 AM

Quote - The same shader is capable of doing plain rock as well.

This one....great, just what i had in mind.

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 1:01 AM

Quote - Fantastic! I copied everything! There SO needs to be a community archive of your public shaders. I had computer crash and lost all your published PP2012 shaders. I might be able to have data recovery from the old drive, but I wish there was a place I could go to grab all the shaders I that are missing. Luckily the computer sees my old external so I have your shaders as of Poser Pro 2010, but not the newer ones so I'm crawling through forums looking for them. Thank you so much for posting this!

I have saved all the pics from BB shadernodes and have them in a folder.

This folder i watch with argus eyes that it don't get lost.

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 1:14 AM

Quote - keep in mind that things like limestone and sandstone really wouldn't have SSS on them but granite may ;).

Are you doing finished stone or rough?

Laurie

Laurie, the mayan Temple will be woth carved ornaments like the real one.

What I need is a realistic looking made with shader. With textures ; Normal map etc.

I can have nice results, but i have the feeling that there is something missing. A fine final touch.

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 2:00 AM

Here a close up. Please ignore the not matching textures. I am still puzzling 😊

Just to show what I mean and for what i need the shaders. :)

― Marcus Aurelius,

parkdalegardener posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 8:45 AM

Thanks BB. I'm experimenting now.

bagginsbill posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 11:06 AM

Quote - Fantastic! I copied everything! There SO needs to be a community archive of your public shaders. I had computer crash and lost all your published PP2012 shaders. I might be able to have data recovery from the old drive, but I wish there was a place I could go to grab all the shaders I that are missing. Luckily the computer sees my old external so I have your shaders as of Poser Pro 2010, but not the newer ones so I'm crawling through forums looking for them. Thank you so much for posting this!

You're welcome. I probably can find my shaders again if you tell me which you're missing. I don't have them all assembled, but I remember something about many of them and I either still have them or I know what to search for.

bagginsbill posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 11:07 AM

Quote - Just a curosity, was BBGlossy2 released to the public, or are we still on tinterhooks for that?

No but I'm trying to get that set out.

bagginsbill posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 11:10 AM

Quote - Here a close up. Please ignore the not matching textures. I am still puzzling 😊

Hmmm - these sculpted objects in gritty stone really don't need a "shader" - i.e. the finish is matte - just diffuse. There is little or no importance to scattering. There is no shine.

What you really need is a correct displacement map to go with the sculpted shapes. As I started to show, this is mostly about texture and shape.

I can help with faking displacements for certain situations, and if you have even a simple bump map, I can do a lot with that.

Snarlygribbly posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 3:45 PM

@Bagginsbill: Is it still your intention to upload the latest version of Matmatic?

bagginsbill posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 5:03 PM

Quote - @Bagginsbill: Is it still your intention to upload the latest version of Matmatic?

I quickly put an update (Matmatic 1.6.0) on my site. Have a look and let me know if there are problems.

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/matmatic

Latexluv posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 5:38 PM

I remember I had a folder of PP2012 specific shaders. Some were a few different versions of glass with the new Fresnel edge blend.  There was the styrofoam shader, a candy pink metal, backdrop material, marble, candlewax...you had a discussion somewhere with LaurieA where you showed a formula that was IMO great for nail polish so I made a folder of that.  I was over at RuntimeDNA last night grabbing those first screenshots of materials you made when P9/PP2012 was new and I built the shaders for those last night (Jade, Pinkstone, yellowstone, blue, white, shower curtain). And I found the Jamesmaterial shader for VSS.  I had a folder dedicated to the discussions on skin, eyes, teeth shaders. I'm not sure what all I have lost. I should have back it up to my external drive. Two nights before the computer died, I must have had a premonition because I backed up the work folder for my most recent V4/Dawn character and all sorts of important saved documents to a thumbdrive.

Weapons of choice:

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 11:41 PM

Quote - > Quote - @Bagginsbill: Is it still your intention to upload the latest version of Matmatic?

I quickly put an update (Matmatic 1.6.0) on my site. Have a look and let me know if there are problems.

Thank you :) 

Matmatic is one of the most gorgeous Poser scripts. Love it a lot.

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 11:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - Here a close up. Please ignore the not matching textures. I am still puzzling 😊

Hmmm - these sculpted objects in gritty stone really don't need a "shader" - i.e. the finish is matte - just diffuse. There is little or no importance to scattering. There is no shine.

What you really need is a correct displacement map to go with the sculpted shapes. As I started to show, this is mostly about texture and shape.

I can help with faking displacements for certain situations, and if you have even a simple bump map, I can do a lot with that.

Till now I have no Maps finish. Still puzzle and blend.

But as soon I have them done ( maps) I would be more than happy to ask you for help for fake displace:)

The stairs will need a good shader, because there will be no sculted stuff.

This set will also have some other stone, rock elements which will have no sculted stuff inside too.

Many thanks for your help BB :)

― Marcus Aurelius,

Snarlygribbly posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 3:32 AM

Quote - I quickly put an update (Matmatic 1.6.0) on my site. Have a look and let me know if there are problems.

No problems so far :-)

Thank you

Snarlygribbly posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 4:52 AM

Er, I just noticed that the script reports itself as being version 1.3?

monkeycloud posted Tue, 12 November 2013 at 5:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - @Bagginsbill: Is it still your intention to upload the latest version of Matmatic?

Wow, that's awesome... downloaded... I will have a look and a play too...

I don't seem to get e-bots reliably anymore, so only just spotted this thread had gone somewhere good!

kobaltkween posted Sat, 30 November 2013 at 3:00 AM

I'm getting this error when I try to set Scatter_Group for Scatter nodes:
AttributeError: 'Scatter' object has no attribute 'Scatter_Group'

Along with references to files on your personal computer.

Perhaps there's something special I need to do?

bagginsbill posted Sat, 30 November 2013 at 6:46 AM

The reference to my paths are because Python is stupid and tells you where those .pyc files were when I compiled them, not where they were when you ran them.

I'm afraid I don't know what is happening to you. I'm away from home without Poser, but I downloaded matmatic 1.6.0 from my site, made a fake poser module so I could load it into ordinary Python, and I verified that the attribute is there.

dir(nodes.Scatter) ['Apple', 'Chicken1', 'Chicken2', 'Color', 'Cream', 'Inputs', 'Ketchup', 'Marble', 'Material', 'MaxError', 'PType', 'Potato', 'Scale', 'Scatter_Group', 'Skimmilk', 'Skin1', 'Skin2', 'Texture_Detail', 'Use_Material_Color', 'Wholemilk', 'abs', 'add', 'class', 'delattr', 'dict', 'div', 'doc', 'format', 'ge', 'getattribute', 'gt', 'hash', 'init', 'le', 'lt', 'mod', 'module', 'mul', 'neg', 'new', 'pow', 'radd', 'rdiv', 'reduce', 'reduce_ex', 'repr', 'rmod', 'rmul', 'rpow', 'rsub', 'setattr', 'sizeof', 'str', 'sub', 'subclasshook', 'weakref', 'asNumber', 'checkAsNumber', 'collectPMNodes', 'defName', 'emit', 'emitAuto', 'emitTrailer', 'getHeight', 'getName', 'guardUnknownSets', 'height', 'init', 'inputsCollapsed', 'itype', 'label', 'labelled', 'lvl', 'mapColorIf2', 'name', 'pmColumn', 'pmIndex', 'pos', 'showPreview', 'suffix', 'suffixed']

kobaltkween posted Sat, 30 November 2013 at 7:52 AM

I actually tried deleting my files and reinstalling them, and it still gives me that error.  I'm not sure what else to try, but I'll keep poking at it.

kobaltkween posted Sat, 30 November 2013 at 8:13 AM

Oh!  It's also saying:

Matmatic Version  1.3.0
Matmatic poserHome = C:Program FilesPoser Pro 2014

I notice SnarlyGribbly is having it say it's still 1.3 also.  Trying to find more files to delete or replace.

bagginsbill posted Sat, 30 November 2013 at 8:48 AM

I am sure I forgot to update the version string. This is unfortunate.

The thing is, you seem to have the Scatter node. Since it was added, I don't recall changes. I would suggest that you put the following into a shader script and see what it says:

print dir(Scatter)

kobaltkween posted Sat, 30 November 2013 at 9:43 AM

Oh, it's not a problem.  I was just thinking maybe it was an indicator of some kind. 

This is so weird.

Until I asked for the feedback, it was performing as if it were version 1.4, which is the version RevisionHistory.txt said had Scatter but not Scatter group.  Mind, I had updated to 1.5 some  time ago.  I deleted the files before replacing them, restarted, and none of it helped.  Then I added the print statement, and it gave me what seems to be the same thing you posted.

material
['Apple', 'Chicken1', 'Chicken2', 'Color', 'Cream', 'Inputs', 'Ketchup', 'Marble', 'Material', 'MaxError', 'PType', 'Potato', 'Scale', 'Scatter_Group', 'Skimmilk', 'Skin1', 'Skin2', 'Texture_Detail', 'Use_Material_Color', 'Wholemilk', 'abs', 'add', 'class', 'delattr', 'dict', 'div', 'doc', 'format', 'ge', 'getattribute', 'gt', 'hash', 'init', 'le', 'lt', 'mod', 'module', 'mul', 'neg', 'new', 'pow', 'radd', 'rdiv', 'reduce', 'reduce_ex', 'repr', 'rmod', 'rmul', 'rpow', 'rsub', 'setattr', 'sizeof', 'str', 'sub', 'subclasshook', 'weakref', 'asNumber', 'checkAsNumber', 'collectPMNodes', 'defName', 'emit', 'emitAuto', 'emitTrailer', 'getHeight', 'getName', 'guardUnknownSets', 'height', 'init', 'inputsCollapsed', 'itype', 'label', 'labelled', 'lvl', 'mapColorIf2', 'name', 'pmColumn', 'pmIndex', 'pos', 'showPreview', 'suffix', 'suffixed']

And now Scatter_Group works for me. It also started saying whether or not the material had changed, which it didn't before that.  But it's still overlapping nodes.  Which isn't a problem at all for me, just an indicator that it's somehow using old information.  It's like Poser keeps information in cache somewhere that needs to update. 

But I can't say.  All I actually know is that I did have a problem with Scatter_Group after deleting the original files, installing twice and restarting, and now I don't.