Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Playing with Rex

Teyon opened this issue on Jan 30, 2014 · 20 posts

Teyon posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 10:06 PM

Just messing around tonight after work. Did a quick displacement map for Rex. One of the cool things about ZBrush is that sculpting propogates to the lower subd levels, so you  can use that as a morph target to push your displacement that much more. So that's what I did. Exported out the morph, exported out the displacement (It only affects the head and neck...I was just messing around afterall). Anyways, thought I'd post this up and get folks thoughts on the face. I'm torn. I find him both interesting to look at but fairly outside of what most people would think of as attractive. Am I right?

Teyon posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 10:08 PM

Hmm...maybe I should have done a diffuse map too...oh well.

Teyon posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 10:29 PM

And here's the sculpt inside ZBrush. Clearly some details get lost due to the Sub Surface Scatter effect in Poser.

NanetteTredoux posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 12:33 AM

I like how you make Rex look more mature and more real. You have taken him out of the stereotype of the young, attractive lad. 

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

vilters posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 12:53 AM

Good Job Teyon, but some of the "Poser render" detail got lost because the scene is too bright. (at least on my monitor here.)

A lot of what we humens "think" we see is because of the shadows.

Your Zbrush is darker and the shadows enhance the details.

A tad less light, and the details will come out a lot better in Poser.

have a nice day.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Teyon posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 7:36 AM

Thanks gang. I think a big contributor to the problem is that I didn't make a specular map that reflects the changes in the displacement. Anyway, just playing around with him.  Hoping to spark some interest.

DarwinsMishap posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 7:43 AM

I really like what you've done with the morphing, as well as the expressions.  The subtle details that most characters miss really stand out in the testing/playing you've done with Rex.  One figure I rather like, but haven't had a chance to really play with changing up just yet.  I hope you'll do more of this sort of testing/playing. :)

hborre posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 8:15 AM

Yes, much more convincing & realistic.  However, there should be a more prominent Adam's Apple with the morphs & expressions.  But I really like the change.

richardson posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 9:43 AM

I like the two-tiered wrinkle effect on his upper eyelid / eyebrow area. I mean creases over creases. This is what old sun damaged or genetic skin does on some people. If this were mine, I would carry that up through his forhead. Lips look good.

Teyon posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 3:54 PM

Thamks for the feedback gang. Ireally appreciate it. :)

EClark1894 posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 5:57 PM

Quote - Thanks gang. I think a big contributor to the problem is that I didn't make a specular map that reflects the changes in the displacement. Anyway, just playing around with him.  Hoping to spark some interest.

Spark interest how?

DarwinsMishap posted Tue, 04 February 2014 at 8:00 AM

I'd love to see updates. :)  I've been trying to play with Rex and such, but my morphing abilities using other methods than dials have gone onto unknown grounds.  XD

Teyon posted Tue, 04 February 2014 at 9:47 AM

Well, I now can't show any more of him but I continued working on the head and also did work on the body, making him far more middle aged (between 40-50). 

722 posted Tue, 04 February 2014 at 9:44 PM

Awesome work! great character

Teyon posted Wed, 05 February 2014 at 12:08 AM

A dalliance with Roxie.  So, better....or worse?

EClark1894 posted Wed, 05 February 2014 at 12:46 AM

Better... much!

EClark1894 posted Wed, 05 February 2014 at 12:51 AM

Hey Teyon, any idea if there will be a Roxie and Rex 2.0 or are we talking all new models again? If it would help, I'd like to start a thread on what the next generation of Poser models should include.

Teyon posted Wed, 05 February 2014 at 12:51 AM

Cool. I feel like the nose is a little big though when looking at it from the front. Lots of work to do on these. Thanks gang for the feedback. Going back into ghost mode.

EClark1894 posted Wed, 05 February 2014 at 1:14 AM

Well if her nose were narrower she'd look a little like Taylor Swift.

Teyon posted Wed, 05 February 2014 at 6:45 AM

Quote - Hey Teyon, any idea if there will be a Roxie and Rex 2.0 or are we talking all new models again? If it would help, I'd like to start a thread on what the next generation of Poser models should include.

No. 

As for a thread about the next generation of Poser models, feel free. No matter how super early it is to talk about that it always is interesting to read.