Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: 3D Cars

sheedee3d opened this issue on Aug 04, 2014 · 7 posts

sheedee3d posted Mon, 04 August 2014 at 5:21 AM

I am a bit confused...

I have downloaded some free 3d model cars from this website...but these cars are not uv mapped or textured...once downloaded you have to assign the materials and textures yourself...e.g.  these car models are not ready to go out of the box...if you know what i mean.

http://tf3dm.com/3d-models/vehicles

On the other hand...there is the paid models...these are obviously not free...but then my question is...the fact that they are paid models...does that mean that they are ready out of the box?...or do you have to apply the textures same way as with the free models?...i would assume that one of the reasons that you have to pay for them is because they are delivered ready to go...pained and textured!...

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/vehicle/car

Because in any event that i would bring myself to buy one of these models i want to be sure what i am getting...because i am actually looking for car models ready to go...fully textured!...

Thx for viewing.

ockham posted Mon, 04 August 2014 at 5:35 AM

Turbosquid is low on information and high on price.  If you want to know what you're getting, stick to the big Poser stores like Rendo or Daz3d or RDNA.  These stores have standards and requirements, and most of the vendors are available here, ready to answer questions before purchase. 

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Schurby posted Mon, 04 August 2014 at 7:57 AM

Yes there a large selection of cars here at Renderosity. New ones, older ones, like the ones I sale, all mapped, ECR Dials for doors, turning wheels and steering, etc. And as ockham stated a whole lot cheaper and we're here to help with questons.

Schurby

Schurby

ockham posted Mon, 04 August 2014 at 9:01 AM

I'll vouch for Schurby's cars.  I use them all lthe time!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

wolf359 posted Mon, 04 August 2014 at 9:10 AM

"Turbosquid is low on information and high on price.  If you want to know what you're getting, stick to the big Poser stores like Rendo or Daz3d or RDNA. "

I disagree on your "low on information" assertion,

A typical Turboquid description:

"High detailed 3D model of 2015 BMW i8 with interior.

Main features:

**   - Originally created with 3ds Max 2010**
**   - Two .max files with V-Ray and Standard 3ds Max materials**
**   - MeshSmooth is still in the history for .max format (MeshSmooth level 1 is set by default for all objects)**
**   - Separate objects like body, wheels and doors. Total number of objects is 13. All objects are intelligently named**
**   - Doors can be opened**
**   - Unit system is set to metric. Real-world scale**
**   - All textures and materials are included and assigned**
**   - 5 textures, which vary in resolution from 416x94px to 4096x4096px**
**   - Previews rendered in 3ds Max 2010 with V-Ray 2.20.02**

Special notes:

**   - Softimage, Cinema4D and LightWave medium and high poly files geometry consists of all quads**
**   - .obj format is recommended for import in other 3d software. If your software doesn't support .obj format, please use .3ds format; .obj format was exported from 3ds Max. The geometry for .obj format is set to quads**
**   - .max files can be loaded in 3ds Max 2010 or higher. In order to use V-Ray rendering setups and materials, V-Ray 2.20.02 or higher is required**

Polycounts:

**   - .max format:**
**       • no MeshSmooth: 93,429 faces and 103,229 vertices**
**       • MeshSmooth level 1: 372,645 faces and 392,957 vertices**
**       • MeshSmooth level 2: 1,490,580 faces and 1,530,845 vertices**

**   - .scn, .mb and .obj formats:**
**       • low: 93,429 faces and 103,229 vertices**
**       • medium: 372,645 faces and 392,957 vertices**
**       • high: 1,490,580 faces and 1,530,845 vertices**

**   - .lwo and .c4d formats:**
**       • low: 93,429 faces and 103,229 vertices**
**       • medium: 372,645 faces and 392,957 vertices**
**       • high: 1,490,580 faces and 1,530,741 vertices**

**   - .3ds format:**
**       • low: 185,787 faces and 160,317 vertices**
**       • medium: 745,290 faces and 500,342 vertices**
**       • high: 2,981,160 faces and 1,768,123 vertices"**

Anyone using Autodesk Max in a professional capacity( photorealistic film& TV work),
is not going to bother with a rendo,Daz or RDNA optimized model that is not a native MAX,Maya ready to use Asset with mental Ray /Vray materials etc.

however in the case of the OP,  yes he likely should stick to poser native vendors for his vehicle props.

My website

YouTube Channel

vilters posted Mon, 04 August 2014 at 9:12 AM

During the testing of the PP2014 Game Dev version, I surfed for test objects in all possible formats. Conclusions?

1. There is a LOT of **** out there.

2. **** in, ***** out.

3. Few are usable. (Mostly unwelded, purpose build, badly mapped, shaders a mess, loose vertex, edges, polygons all around.)

4. Yes, transformations/conversions are possible, but most of your time will be spend on "repairing" before use.
    Repairing meaning: Repair / Prepair the file for use in Poser.

1. Man, did I mention already that it is a complete mess out there on the 3D www?
    A forest with unusable trees.

2. Models and figures from respected and known Poser sites are a relief.
    99.9% of them worked right out of the box.

My respect grew for all the respected sites and their quality control teams.

Happy Posering, Tony

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

NanetteTredoux posted Mon, 04 August 2014 at 12:19 PM

I support that. Buy from the trusted Poser shops. Renderosity, RDNA, YURdigital, Daz, Ontarget3d and similar. If buying from Daz, make sure of the requirements. I haven't encountered a car that required Dson though, and I don't know if Hivewire has cars.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch