Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Promo Image Labels?

EventMobil opened this issue on Oct 13, 2014 · 12 posts

EventMobil posted Mon, 13 October 2014 at 7:53 PM

Maybe I missed something, in this case my apologies already... I searched to all my best knowledge before coming here to ask ;-)

I need to render some promo images for content sale, and I would like to indicate 'Rendered with Poser Pro 2014' or something similar as a label/signature, like it can often be seen in promo images. But WHERE do I find those tags???

Coming from industrial background myself, I assume that Smith Micro, in an effort to polish their brand marketing and promotion, is 1. interested in artists branding their images and 2. interested in maintaining good quality standards in such branding tags. So to me it would be very logical to just distribute such tags together with any Poser Installation, so to make such tags accessible to any Poser artist. DAZ on the other hand offers their branding tags 'DAZ-Studio Render' for download from their site. But I failed to find any such labels for Poser anywhere on Earth (meaning internet)...

Is it possible that all content creators and vendor somehow manually build their own Poser tags? Or did I miss some place where to download them?

My problem is not that I am not able to create any such thing on my own, copying the brand/labels from some original Smith Micro image and combining things somehow to my liking in Paintshop. My problem is that I feel this is wrong. First because Smith Micro has a legal claim over how to use the Poser label, and second because the images where I need to 'borrow' original brand/label are, as we all know, copyright protected, and I wish to use them in my (commercial) promo images for my content...

This is why I would prefer to use official, legal tags which can be downloaded and which are licensed 'free for commercial use' or something like this...?

Any discussion/suggestion would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Martin

Poser Pro 2014 GameDev, Lightwave 11.6.3, Blacksmith3D Pro 6, Bryce 7, Carrara Pro 8.5, Reality 4 & LuxRender, Python 2.7 & Wx-Python, UV-Mapper Pro, XFrog 3.5, Paintshop Pro X7, Apophysis 7x64

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Don't render faster than your artistic guardian angel can fly...

bagginsbill posted Mon, 13 October 2014 at 10:07 PM

SM published the "rendered in" tag images for Poser 9 and Pro 2012. But I never saw updated ones for PP2014, and now I can't even find the 2012 ones.

This is why my forum post signature tag image says 2012 - because there is no 2014 tag image.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

AmbientShade posted Mon, 13 October 2014 at 10:14 PM

Could just create your own in photoshop. Mask out the 2012 and add in the 2014.

EventMobil posted Mon, 13 October 2014 at 10:48 PM

@Bagginsbill:    Thank you for confirmation, I was really wondering whether I'm too stupid to find them ;-)

@AmbientShade:

Quote - Could just create your own in photoshop. Mask out the 2012 and add in the 2014.

But this is exactly the issue I'm having here: you suggest copying from a copyright protected source... And (in my case) for commercial use on top of that... It's not a question of skills in Paintshop, there is nothing to fear for me there ;-)...

Poser Pro 2014 GameDev, Lightwave 11.6.3, Blacksmith3D Pro 6, Bryce 7, Carrara Pro 8.5, Reality 4 & LuxRender, Python 2.7 & Wx-Python, UV-Mapper Pro, XFrog 3.5, Paintshop Pro X7, Apophysis 7x64

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

EventMobil posted Mon, 13 October 2014 at 11:02 PM

I have been working in industries for a couple of enterprises, and I know they are usually very delicate when it comes to using or copying their brands. Even as an employed collaborator you cannot just copy the logo from somewhere and paste it in your WORD document, instead it is mandatory to use the official company WORD templates... Color precision to the decimal of a red or green component, precise shape of whatever symbold and fonts, and so on. They can sue you from here to Kingdom Come. I just would prefer a legal and clean solution, with an authorization from Smith Micro for use in commercial promo renders, this is why I came up with the question.

AmbientShade posted Tue, 14 October 2014 at 12:10 AM

They're distributed freely to suit the purpose you're looking for, so I don't think there's any reason to worry about copyright policy on this particular instance. It's a red box with some text in it. If you're that concerned then just make your own 2014 image. This is really a non-issue. 

EventMobil posted Tue, 14 October 2014 at 12:14 AM

They are actually not being distributed (see Bagginsbills post), or can you tell a download source?

I guess I rather leave the Poser renders untagged, and indicate only 'DAZ Studio Render' and 'Lightwave 11.6 Render' and 'Reality 3 Render' on my images...

AmbientShade posted Tue, 14 October 2014 at 12:34 AM

You're talking about corporate branding, where they often pay big money to patent a specific color and font style, etc, and don't want it used anywhere they don't approve of or in a way they aren't aware of. That's not anywhere close to being the same thing as this.

Just about every pro cg artist out there with a portfolio online displays the logos from the major software titles they use to create their work somewhere in their portfolio or on the renders themselves. They don't ask special permission to do it and no one thinks twice about it when they see it. Those logos can be found all over google just by searching for it. And any of those software companies would be idiots to complain about the use of them on renders because its free advertising for them. Sure I guess they could sue you for it if they really wanted to, but they'd just be cutting their own throats in the process as less and less artists would use their software because of it. 

But I guess it's good to be cautious. 

You could always ask Steve Cooper for permission. I'm sure he'd not only agree to it but likely encourage it.

EventMobil posted Tue, 14 October 2014 at 1:01 AM

When I am creating paid promo images for a client or for my own products I sure wish to be careful  ;-)

I was worried, just like Bagginsbill, because me too I had the old PP2012 labels, but SM seems to have stopped offering them, and I can't recall where I had found them. Of course I know I can find them in millions in a Google search, or just create them on my own, but as I said, this is not the issue. And seeing other people doing wrong (using a brand without authorization of the owner, or smoking, or parking in a non parking zone) has never inspired me of doing the same ;-)

I'm going to contact Smith Micro customer care tomorrow and see if they have given general allowence or can offer some kind of legal authorization, then I can inform here.

lupus posted Tue, 14 October 2014 at 4:18 AM

Quote - I have been working in industries for a couple of enterprises, and I know they are usually very delicate when it comes to using or copying their brands. Even as an employed collaborator you cannot just copy the logo from somewhere and paste it in your WORD document, instead it is mandatory to use the official company WORD templates... Color precision to the decimal of a red or green component, precise shape of whatever symbold and fonts, and so on. They can sue you from here to Kingdom Come. I just would prefer a legal and clean solution, with an authorization from Smith Micro for use in commercial promo renders, this is why I came up with the question.

I've been working for about 25 years doing marketing for alot of "big" companies.

Yes, when you ask the person responsible of their graphic profile then you realise that you actually can't do nothing using their logotype. (that person usually change, quite often)
Ignore that person!

What I've learned is that as long as you do not show a company's logotype in a way that would disbenefit them, then everything is ok.
Often they're just glad to see their logo somewhere.

Be advised thou: This don't relate to using Apples logotype (they'll sue you) but otherwise it works with most decent companies.

EventMobil posted Wed, 22 October 2014 at 8:16 AM

Just for an update:

I made a request for clarification at SmithMicro Customer Care Oct. 14th, they told they have forwarded it to the responsible manager, so I'm waiting for a reply.

EventMobil posted Wed, 22 October 2014 at 1:34 PM

So now there's official clarification, I received a message from Steve Cooper, telling:

Please feel free to include Rendered in Poser Pro graphics or include the product logo on images you've rendered using Poser. The original 2012 version of the logos were provided freely by us for this purpose. The staff member who originally created these graphics is no longer with us, so updated versions have not been produced.