Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The case of the invisible figures

moriador opened this issue on Dec 29, 2014 · 22 posts

moriador posted Mon, 29 December 2014 at 11:29 PM

Poser Pro 2014 SR4. This has been happening a lot lately (happened under SR3 and earlier as well), and I'm wondering what causes it.

I load a figure. It shows in my hierarchy panel. It appears in the parameter panel. Everything looks normal, except it's simply not visible in the scene (nor is it visible when viewed with the grouping tool active). The geometry has failed to load, I guess.

If I clear my cache and close and reopen Poser, the figure will usually then load as expected. 

Today, however, I'm finding that the figure will load just fine after reopening Poser, but then the next figure or the one after that fails.

I have checked the paths in the CR2. They're all fine. However, the geometries in question are all named some variation of House1.obj, House2.obj, and so on.

Now, I would think that a piece of software was smart enough to know that when a file calls for house1 it means house1, and when the next file calls for house2, it means house2, not house1 that's already been loaded or even bluehouse that's got a path to an entirely different runtime and was loaded in a previous scene. So it shouldn't be confoozled simply by geometry with similar names as long as they're not identical. (I mean, they must have different paths, at least). But that doesn't seem to be the case, entirely.... which makes having a large runtime with lots of house-something.obj's a bit of a problem, as you never know which ones will suddenly trigger this geometry crosstalk.... or whatever it is that's happening.

Has anyone else come across this issue? It's completely stopped me in my tracks. I suppose, if what I THINK is happening is really the cause, I could rename all the obj's to something unique and change the references in the CR2's. But I'd rather not have to. What do you guys think?

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.