Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hair is not rendering

hamiltonpl opened this issue on Jan 06, 2015 · 9 posts

hamiltonpl posted Tue, 06 January 2015 at 5:05 PM

I am not sure what is going on but I have a figure that I created Strand Hair for in the Hair room.  In the Poser file I have where i built the character the hair renders just fine.

However, I export / add to the library and then re-import into a scene - and the hair DOES NOT Render. It's just single strands.

This happened to me once before and I exported and reimported the follicle and hair set I think from another scene. It appear that the hair after reimporting is not recognized any longer as "hair". The hair room doesn't see it as hair.  Can't style it, etc.

Any idea what has happened? It would seem that the hair if corrupted would be corrupted within the scene I built the character in - but the hair renders fine there.  But not anywhere else. 

Thoughts?

Windows 10 - Poser Pro 2012 - 64Bit - 24GB RAM - 4 x 3.40 GHZ processor

AmbientShade posted Tue, 06 January 2015 at 5:12 PM

Why are you exporting it? 

Are you saving directly to the library or are you exporting out of Poser?

After creating the hair in the hair room, save it directly to the library under the Hair tab.

If you're saving an entire scene, save the scene directly to the library. Don't save it through the file menu as that has a tendency to corrupt the scene depending on what settings you are using in preferences and such. Just save your scene directly to the library. Then when you need to pull that scene back up, load it from the library. You can either import the scene into your current scene from the library, (which will combine the contents of both scenes), or you can have it replace your current scene. 

What version of Poser are you using?

icprncss2 posted Tue, 06 January 2015 at 5:39 PM

Dynamic hair should be saved to the hair library as a prop.  Even in Pro 2014 it is still recommended that you use a skullcap or some other prop to parent the hair groups to.  I know you don't need one but when you go to save the strand hair prop, that is the first warning dialog that comes up. 

How are you saving the hair?  You should simply pick the prop it's parented to and click the add to library at the bottom of the hair library. 

When you reload the hair, are the guide hairs still present?  If you take it into the hair room will the rest of hair repopulate?

hamiltonpl posted Tue, 06 January 2015 at 5:42 PM

Poser Pro 2012.  I am saving to the library. I can save the hair separately and add it back to the character - no problem.  And I have characters in the library backed up from last night.  I can reload them and they render fine.  When I try to take the hair off of them and add them to the scene where I am working on the character - they work fine until I add them back to the library.  Once I do, I create a new poser file and add them to the scene from the library just as always.  Hair will not render.

But on the library characters I copied back in from the backup - I do not have this problem.  It's as though something in the Scene is corrupting them as they are added to the library.  Weird.

Morkonan posted Tue, 06 January 2015 at 8:17 PM

I don't use the Poser Hair Room, on purpose.

However, IIRC, Poser Hair uses Poser's dynamics engine. So, it should have a dynamics hook on it. Check the hair prop object to be sure that dynamics is turned on for that prop. It might be getting switched off and the dynamic properties of Poser's hair stuffs is being... forgotten. (I could be completely off-base with this. I am really not familiar with Poser's Hair Room, so forgive me if I'm just going off on a wild goose chase.)

PS - How are you managing to actually use Poser's Hair Room? Anything I do in there just ends up looking like Link from the Mod Squad shoved a pair of scissors in an electrical outlet, again... :) (IOW - It'd be neat to see what you created with it, since I'm so terrible at it. :) )

hamiltonpl posted Tue, 06 January 2015 at 11:13 PM

I am working on some characters from LOST IN SPACE- from the 1960s.  I finally got the problem solved by exporting a good hair set out and then redressing the character in a new scene and then applying that back to the library.

The Hair room is difficult to master.  I've worked for hours creating these "do's".

file_38b3eff8baf56627478ec76a704e9b52.jp

moriador posted Wed, 07 January 2015 at 3:32 AM

Impressive! Those are really nice hairdo's. :)

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

WandW posted Wed, 07 January 2015 at 6:50 AM

That's great work, hamiltonpl! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

ANeNa posted Thu, 05 February 2015 at 7:37 PM

Excellent composition! I love the hair and everything about it . Congrats :)