Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Fell between a rock and hard place, or if it ain't one thing...

rokket opened this issue on Feb 22, 2015 · 14 posts

rokket posted Sun, 22 February 2015 at 4:00 PM

So I had laptop issues. Thought I had solved them. Turns out, I didn't. I had to reboot my laptop to the factory settings. I saved my files and the work I wanted to keep. I was in the process of putting everything back together when I hit a huge snag: I was loading my hard copy of Poser 9 back on my machine when I realized that my DVD/CD ROM drive has stopped working. I tried everything I knew to get it working: update the drivers, uninstall and reinstall; nothing worked. 

I am in the Philippines; away from trusted support, and the cost will undoubtedly be more than the machine is worth (it's a 2009 Toshiba Satellite) to fix it. This laptop has other issues anyway. My then 3-year-old son damaged 2 of 4 USB ports. They were connected to the motherboard so I couldn't fix them.

Money has become an issue. I was planning on buying a new laptop anyway. But then life took over. I had a few 'emergency' issues that took the laptop funds away for now. My plan to get a great laptop and a copy of Windows 7 from Amazon went out the window. I am going to head into town and see if I can get a cheap DVD/CD ROM external drive somewhere. It only has to work long enough to get Poser back on my machine. Wouldn't it be a hoot to find out that I have to install software from a CD or DVD to get that to work? Where is the sense in that?

Anyway, I am just hoping to get back on track again soon. There is nothing more frustrating than having problems like these to go with real life problems. This hobby and my laptop were meant as relaxation after a long day of reality.  

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

primorge posted Sun, 22 February 2015 at 4:43 PM

Stiff upper lip there, Rokket.

rokket posted Sun, 22 February 2015 at 4:58 PM

Yeah, not trying to sound like a baby or anything, although it is pretty therapeutic to let this out.

I am hoping to be back on my feet, laptop-wise in a couple months. There is the tax return, after all... 

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

SamTherapy posted Sun, 22 February 2015 at 8:28 PM

I feel for you, bud.  Had/having my own share of computer problems.  Several kind people sent me various great bits of kit to build up a new machine.  As yet, I lack the funds to get the remaining stuff but I live in hope.  :)

All good wishes for a speedy and painless solution to your laptop woes.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

RorrKonn posted Mon, 23 February 2015 at 2:13 AM

well at least your not berried in snow. it has to get better sooner or latter the sun has to come out :)

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

estherau posted Mon, 23 February 2015 at 2:18 AM

I bought an external CD player for 25 dollars so they are around.  good luck. hope you are up and about and running well soon.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

vitachick posted Mon, 23 February 2015 at 5:30 AM

Smith Micro has download manager. When I tried to reinstall Poser 2014 DVD player just would not read it. they

sent me the link and it worked perfect!

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

rokket posted Tue, 24 February 2015 at 12:15 AM

Really?

Maybe I should attempt to contact them about my little issue. I have the box in front of me. Suppose all I need to do is give them the serial number? 

rokket posted Wed, 25 February 2015 at 6:29 AM

I made contact with the fine folks over at SM. Turns out the download manager is for Poser 10 and up. I am still using Poser 9 for the foreseeable future. I think I will go out tomorrow and see about getting myself an external DVD drive. I am betting I can get one really cheap here in the Philippines.

Then watch out.... I have a few months of ideas I need to get out there! 

WandW posted Wed, 25 February 2015 at 6:37 AM

If the drive is turning, did you try cleaning the lens?  I use a bit of alcohol on a tissue...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

rokket posted Fri, 27 February 2015 at 4:43 AM

It's not doing anything except making noise like it wants to turn. And I can't clean the lens because it's internal. This is one of those drives that you shove the disc into, not one that the mechanism pops out of the laptop.  I am going to go out and get an external tomorrow (I keep saying that, don't I?), and hopefully I won't have any issues getting the drivers and everything for it. I do have internet, obviously, so if I can't get the drivers off a disc I am hoping I can still download them.

DCArt posted Fri, 27 February 2015 at 6:46 PM

Rokket check your sitemail

rokket posted Sat, 28 February 2015 at 1:57 AM

I checked and answered. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

But it seems that I am about 40% or more on the way back. I got a decent DVD RW external and got Poser 9 loaded on my machine. I am downloading the SR files as we speak and trying to figure out if I have right version of Flash installed. I guess I won't know until the SR is installed and the IE 11 thing is taken care of.

I will let you know in this thread if everything is back as it should be. I am on a painfully slow internet connection and it will take a couple hours to get the SR update downloaded. 

rokket posted Sat, 28 February 2015 at 5:17 AM

I have Aerosmith's 'Back In The Saddle' running through my head as I wait for a Miki 4 render to complete. I am breathing heavy sighs of relief!

I have so much to catch up on....