Forum: Carrara

Subject: Can no longer import .SAT files into Carrara 8.5

graylensman opened this issue on Jun 08, 2015 · 8 posts

graylensman posted Mon, 08 June 2015 at 1:24 PM

I was able to import .SAT files into Carrara 8.5 (Mac 32bit) without problem. That was about three weeks ago. Last week, I tried to import an .SAT file, and couldn't! Grayed out file names in the Open dialog box. 

So, what happened that I can't import SAT files? What can I do to fix this? ...I sent a help request to DAZ five days ago, and haven't heard a peep out of them.

Thanks for your help in advance!

MarkBremmer posted Mon, 08 June 2015 at 1:42 PM

Hmmm, I'm using Carrara 8.5.243 (64bit) and don't have an issue. You should be able to – but you know that. And, if you could do it just a few weeks ago, then it's a puzzle. 

de3an posted Mon, 08 June 2015 at 1:59 PM

Which version of Carrara are you using? I'm also still using build 243 but there is a newer version available (8.5.1.19).

if you have installed the new version, perhaps that import option is broken or was dropped.

graylensman posted Mon, 08 June 2015 at 2:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm using Build 243 (32 bit). I'm frustrated with this, but a bit more frustrated that I've received only an automated response from DAZ, and that was five days ago.

cjd posted Mon, 08 June 2015 at 8:33 PM

I'm sure you tried opening the file it in another application, but just in case you are not able, can you post the file?

SAT files (ACIS) have versions, and its possible the Carrara importer is not up to date. Its also possible you have a corrupted file.

EDIT, I read your post again, its been a while since I used a Mac, but it sounds like the behavior when a file is not recognized, so maybe the Carrara importer is corrupted.

graylensman posted Tue, 09 June 2015 at 7:30 AM

I can't open any .SAT files in Carrara now, and unfortunately, I don't have another application available to try. I do have a "test" account on my Mac - a bare-bones arrangement to make sure there aren't any settings in my main account that might be screwing with things. I attempted to open .SAT files in that account, and had the same results. So, it has to be Carrara.

cjd, you say the Carrara importer is corrupted. How do I fix this? Will it require a full re-install of Carrara?

cjd posted Tue, 09 June 2015 at 7:57 AM

If the importer is corrupted, you would have to reinstall Carrara, but I am not sure that is the problem.

There are not many Mac programs that will open a SAT file. FormZ might work, as they have a MacOS version, and Rhino has been testing a MacOS version.

bhoins posted Mon, 22 June 2015 at 8:53 AM

What are the first 7 letters of your Serial Number?