Forum: Carrara

Subject: Content Creation for DAZ Studio & Poser - Carrara or Hexagon?

Xatren opened this issue on Dec 02, 2015 ยท 8 posts

Xatren posted Wed, 02 December 2015 at 9:41 PM

Hello all. I have decided to try to break into content creation for DAZ Stufio and Poser in the coming year. I know 3d, modeling in particular, and know both DAZ Studio and Poser from an end user's perspective.

My question is this: If you were choosing between Carrara and Hexagon for the purpose of making content for DAZ Studio and Poser, and were planning to only do modeling and UVing in the software you choose (since you can rig right in DS/Poser), which would you choose? Which is most suitable to the task? I already own Carrara (not done much modeling in it though), and Hexagon is only $20, so price isn't a concern here. Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

TL;DR: What tool should I use for the modeling part of Poser/DS content creation?

Also, are there any particular tutorials or learning resources I should buy or get to learn this stuff? I hear Fugazi1968's stuff is good, but I don't know which of his things to buy.

staigermanus posted Wed, 02 December 2015 at 9:55 PM

This stuff is modeled in Hexagon, and rendered in Modo.http://www.thebest3d.com/3dstickers/Catalog-Images/catalog.html you certainly can create well in Hexagon. But Carrara is great for it too. They each are tools with merits. Try either and decide which you like more. $20 is nothing.

Xatren posted Wed, 02 December 2015 at 10:31 PM

staigermanus posted at 10:30PM Wed, 02 December 2015 - #4242117

This stuff is modeled in Hexagon, and rendered in Modo.http://www.thebest3d.com/3dstickers/Catalog-Images/catalog.html you certainly can create well in Hexagon. But Carrara is great for it too. They each are tools with merits. Try either and decide which you like more. $20 is nothing.

Those are very nice. One question though. Why not just model stuff in Modo? Personal preference?

Xerxes0002 posted Wed, 02 December 2015 at 11:03 PM

I wish I had bought modo back when it was 199 LOL. LittleFox has some good clothing and hair creation tutorials using it. I have them but haven't had the time to see how adaptable they are to other tools.
BTW if you click top of forum and click on Kixum you can see his activity feed, and gallery where you can see some of the items he has modeled.

here is a thread on 3d-coat in the carrara forums http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/36648/

Kixum posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 12:52 AM

Assuming you are going to be doing clothes and organics, Hex is probably a little better. For vehicles and more ordered structures, either will be fine.

-Kix

staigermanus posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 8:16 AM

Xatren posted at 8:06AM Thu, 03 December 2015 - #4242125

staigermanus posted at 10:30PM Wed, 02 December 2015 - #4242117

This stuff is modeled in Hexagon, and rendered in Modo.....

Those are very nice. One question though. Why not just model stuff in Modo? Personal preference?

Yes indeed. A long while ago he was using Amapi. Hexagon was the natural transition after Amapi, with numerous tools and features similar. I guess once you learn a tool that does well for what you need, once you have a good workflow, there's no need to re-invent the wheel. So he still uses Hexagon for modeling new characters/critters/props, and renders in Modo. The end product goes to large printers for vinyl decals. These are mainly made for vinyl stickers.

stardust posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 6:44 PM

Between Hexagon and Carrara, definitely Hexagon - the bridge between DS and Hexagon will be used A LOT when you make content. But as others point out, it comes down to whatever is best for you. You'll want to fast at whatever you chose to do, otherwise it will be difficult to make any significant profits.

Xatren posted Sat, 05 December 2015 at 2:26 PM

Thanks everyone for all the opinions and information, and just for taking the time to help me out. It's very much appreciated.