Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Add Opacity File in a DUF

flibbits opened this issue on Nov 02, 2017 ยท 10 posts

flibbits posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 12:11 AM

I have edited DUF files to load different images onto surfaces.

How do I add an opacity file? I don't have an example to see what the entry/extra lines have to be.

Does anyone know? I want to load an existing transparency map (a black/white image I made to make parts of a clothing item transparent) onto the Opacity node (not sure what to call it).

RHaseltine posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 3:51 PM

Why not edit in DS, in the Surfaces pane assuming you are using a pre-made shader?

flibbits posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 5:13 PM

Yes, that works,. But I want to make a DUF file, so next time I want to apply this I can apply it with a click of an icon. A DUF file also makes it so I won't have to add a note to say "hey, there are additional custom made textures for this." If there's an icon (from the DUF file and a PNG file) in MyLibrary (generally in the materials sub folder under the clothing item), then it's right there to see.

Razor42 posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 6:01 PM

Saving a material or shader preset can do all that. Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to achieve. Material/shader presets both save as ".duf " A material preset saves for a specific surface name and a shader preset saves for application to any surface.

flibbits posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 12:03 AM

I don't know about material/shader presets.

Razor42 posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 2:20 AM

You can save all of the surface panel settings as either a material or a shader preset which will create a .duf file which can be applied later.

You can also save a partial preset by drilling down when you save and ticking only the parameters you want to include such as Opacity. When a partial preset is applied it will only modify the included parameters.

Razor42 posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 3:39 AM

This video covers saving a shader preset: I have set it up to play from saving a material preset, the rest of video covers working with surfaces.

flibbits posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 4:55 PM

Thanks.

flibbits posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 9:07 PM

I can't believe I've been doing this by editing DUF files, when it can just be saved.

Razor42 posted Sat, 04 November 2017 at 8:43 PM

Ah well, look at this way. You probably have a better understanding of the file structure then most do, and that can be helpful when creating presets as you know whats happening under the hood. There used to be a time when many things could only be done in a .txt editor, but the Save presets have come a long way over time.