Forum: MarketPlace Customers

Subject: Whats wrong with downloading ???????

vampchild opened this issue on Mar 05, 2019 ยท 14 posts

vampchild posted Tue, 05 March 2019 at 3:27 PM

I have been trying to down load a product I bought here and for some reason it will not complete the down load. It just stops and says network error .Why is this happening ? It's not the internet - I checked.

Beware-The Smoking Man Still Lives!

PrestonW posted Tue, 05 March 2019 at 4:58 PM

I have reset your downloads. See if it works any better for you now. Make sure you are not using a download manager/accelerator and are only downloading one file at a time.

vampchild posted Tue, 05 March 2019 at 8:37 PM

I have never had this problem before .I bought Miki 4.0 it has 200+mb Zip why does it load so slow ? I have had to reload some other files 2 or 3 times just to get a full file. And it's just with this site that keeps doing down load failure half way through a file down load .

PrestonW posted Wed, 06 March 2019 at 10:03 AM

I will check with out programmers to see if there is anything they can do

vampchild posted Wed, 06 March 2019 at 10:36 AM

Thank you for your help.

MartinTheWanderer posted Mon, 18 March 2019 at 1:21 PM

Same problem, tried to download a couple freebies, needed a few dozen retries (on slow internet, but still).

I had similar issues with Github releases recently - according to their support it is an Amazon cloud thing (where they host their files, I think Renderosity does as well?).

The biggest annoyance is not even that the downloads stop at some point, but that you can not resume them ('blahblah FORBIDDEN'), you have to start over.

This is something browsers and download managers have been able to do since the 1990s and modern 'cloud services' saw the need to break it, probably because the developers sit on 5000 TB/s optical fiber and can not imagine there are still people out there where downloads take longer than a few nanoseconds...

vampchild posted Mon, 18 March 2019 at 1:45 PM

Thank you MartinTheWanderer . I glade to know someone else ran into this problem besides me. I will not be buying anything from this site until they get this mess FIXED!

AdamTLS posted Fri, 29 March 2019 at 11:17 AM

The whole site has been extremely slow for a couple of weeks now. It's not my internet and it's not AWS (images are fast once the store responds)... waiting.png

BleuPrintz posted Sun, 31 March 2019 at 5:08 AM

I logged on about an hour ago and I was having the same problem with the site response time. It took me around several minutes to log in. The latency with Renderosity seems to be sporadic. As I was writing this, everything seemed to be working fine but still a little bit slow.

AdamTLS posted Sun, 31 March 2019 at 9:38 PM

Yeah, it's been so slow (at times) for me I couldn't even complete an order. It would time out :(

It's still bad today. Took 2 minutes just to get to this forum post.

MartinTheWanderer posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 1:58 PM

this has nothing to do with the site response times, the downloads are not hosted on the same server, but in the Amazon spy cloud.

And that, as everybody in the industry knows, is unreliable AF, depending on where you live, AND DOES NOT ALLOW TO RESUME DOWNLOADS (at least not in the configuration that Renderosity is obviously using)..

I just made a purchase, and can not download the 2x100MB since I keep getting 'Interrupted, Network Error', followed by 'can not resume: FORBIDDEN'.

Not everybody on this planet (actually only a small minority) is sitting on 10TB optical fibre, and not allowing to resume downloads is plain and simple annoying and basically 'racist'. ;)

The consequence is simple: this was my last purchase here, even DAZ3D is able to resume downloads with their Install Manager, and even pirate sites are smart enough to use file hosters that allow resuming...

Miss B posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 8:14 PM

Hmmmm, I sometimes have to wait for a post here on the forums to save and finalize, but I don't recall having problems in the store.

In fact, I just purchased 2 items about 2 hours ago, and it took all of 4 or 5 minutes to purchase and download the 2 products, as well as the templates associated with them, and I don't usually have problems downloading items from the Free Stuff area either.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

MartinTheWanderer posted Tue, 07 May 2019 at 6:05 AM

As I said, depends a lot on location - if you are in the US or Europe and have decent Internet AWS usually works reasonably well.

Everywhere else on the planet: not so much. Took me over 10 tries to download a relatively small product (2x100MB, which would download in 12-15 minutes each even on my slow South American connection - IF AWS would not kill the download every 3 minutes or so and force me to start over...), only was successful during night time (US).

Enabling download resumes and/or move to a independent hosting platform would solve that problem (btw RO is not the only one with that problem, e.g. Github is facing a growing number of complaints worldwide - their source code is hosted internally, but releases are on AWS - and is considering to move away from AWS completely).

The slow website is a different story - Webserver overloaded and the aggressive ADs that clutter every page and search result don't help either.

Anyways, I'm outta here - there is a lot of cute and unique stuff on Renderosity, but the combination of slow site, often outdated products, pricing, and bugged download system that wastes my time in an unreasonable way - not very attractive.

nujazz posted Tue, 07 May 2019 at 10:26 AM

MartinTheWanderer posted at 10:05AM Tue, 07 May 2019 - #4351351

And that, as everybody in the industry knows, is unreliable AF, depending on where you live, AND DOES NOT ALLOW TO RESUME DOWNLOADS (at least not in the configuration that Renderosity is obviously using)..

I'm curious. Who else in the industry thinks AWS is so unreliable? To which industry are you referring? Such a horrible reputation must certainly be what makes AWS the largest and fastest growing cloud provider worldwide.

Clients: This Quora question and This ZDNet article
Market share: This article by a cloud management service

All kidding aside, I always appreciate constructive feedback from other professionals. If you have a suggestion on how we could better serve South American members, please feel free to share it in the Feedback dialog on the right of the screen. I'll look into it, myself.

For everyone else, details are what help us address these kinds of issues. Lots of details. I normally don't monitor my sitemail, but this appears to be a special situation. If you are having trouble downloading, please send me a sitemail with the following...

1. Your geographic location
  2. Which file you're trying to download
  3. Specific problem (eg. timeout after 5 minutes, disconnected and won't restart, etc.)

I'll also say that AWS does, in fact, support resumed downloads by default. More specifically, their S3 platform supports the standard range headers that enable resumable downloads. It's up to your browser to properly support that feature. For example, Chrome will happily resume a paused download. The only issue I found was when the network cut out while downloading. In my testing, Chrome was unable to recover from that.