Forum: MarketPlace Customers

Subject: Frequent failures to create a thread

3dcheapskate opened this issue on Sep 23, 2019 ยท 6 posts

3dcheapskate posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:12 AM

This has happened a sufficient number of times on different machines, using different browsers, to be more than just bad luck.

I spend a long time writing a post to start a new thread.

I click the green 'Create Thread' button.

But instead of the reassuring green bar saying something about success, I get a nasty red bar like this...

nastytredbar.jpg

That's not the bad news though. This is - I use the back button on my browser to try again...

...but everything I typed has been lost.

So I have to start again from scratch.

Please fix this.

N.B. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it is more likely to happen if there's an image in the post.

P.S. I didn't get the error writing this post - the screenshot's from the creation of another thread within the past hour or so on this same machine. So you should be able to find the log.

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

CHMedia posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 9:06 AM

Reported to developer

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 3:59 AM

Just had another one trying to create a thread in the Marketplace Support Forum, a few minutes ago, and from this computer

And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 8:31 AM

(N.B. I made the previous post purely to get a timestamp - the "failure to create a thread" happened a few minutes before that and from the same computer, so that may help you identify the log entry.

I did not have an image in the post, so the thought that it might be to do with images is incorrect.

However, when I eventually managed to create the thread (having retyped everything) the title was truncated (I think I'd used double quotes " around part of the title,and when the thread was created the first " and everything after it had vanished). So the problem might have something to do with titles that are too long, and/or specific characters in the title.

nujazz posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 2:09 PM

This is normally caused by a session timeout. About how long did it take you to type up that last post that failed?

3dcheapskate posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 12:28 AM

I probably take a bit longer than most people - I'd say a few minutes, possibly five, for that last thread that failed.

Is there a specific timeout, or is it variable ?

I just tried a quick test by taking a known time (just over 10 minutes) to create a new thread. I hit 'Create Thread' for that a few minutes ago and it failed. So I think you're probably correct.

Can you add a warning about the timeout to that page ? It's not the timeout itself that's the problem, but the fact that I've taken a long time to get the post correct, and when it fails to create the thread I lose everything that I so carefully typed ! Perhaps I should adopt a more slapdash approach ? ;o)

Here's the text of the thread that just failed to create (probably spurious information now):

failed.jpg