Forum: Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Subject: ideal Poser rig?

rainfrey opened this issue on Sep 25, 2019 · 24 posts

rainfrey posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 5:34 PM

Hi gang,

I am contemplating my triennial computer upgrade and looking for suggestions. If price was no limit (it is but let's pretend) what would the ultimate Poser rig look like? I already have a large hi rez 4k monitor I plan to keep so that's not a factor. Any feedback appreciated.

~Rainer www.rainer.us

Come by and say "hello!"
http://rainer.us

HartyBart posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 7:53 PM

Thanks for asking this. Yes, I think many are now three or four years past their "end of the great recession buy" PC, and are now starting to consider something better. So hopefully this thread will interest many. Especially now that Poser 12 seems likely to be on the horizon. Here's what I've picked up from others on this, which may provide some useful starting points.

When searching, the keywords "Xeon" and "blades" are your friends. Both for Poser and (I seem to recall) for Vue 2016, with which Poser 11 plays nicely. Back in 2015, pre Poser 11, a forum thread here seemed to settle on 2 x quality late-model Xeon CPUs and a matching motherboard - for those rendering stills...

Link

Movies being a whole other config, apparently. Of course things will have changed since then. For instance, I heard the other day that RAM prices have come back down to sensible levels again, after the BitCoin boom. Doubtless others will be able to say more on the changed hardware landscape.

I also benefited from reading this useful summer 2019 introductory article on "PC vs. Workstation" from a graphics perspective...

Link

Looking just now at refurbished "dual Xeon" workstations on eBay UK, they appear to be about £300 - £450 in the UK, so comparable with a mid-range NVIDIA gamer's graphics card. With £680 for a highly desirable dual Xeon workstation ("47 people watching") - at a guess that's about $850 in the USA?

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

rainfrey posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 12:32 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I should specify that I am only rendering stills so a render farm or equivalent is not needed here. However, if this thread attracts general interest then others may have questions or suggestions that are relevant to video / animation.

~R

Come by and say "hello!"
http://rainer.us

hornet3d posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 8:40 AM

What you can do is look at one of the computer system builders and see what specs they are using for their graphic set ups. As most of the computer components are available world wide, even if the costs differ widely, it can give a starting point for configuring your own systems. I started looking about two years ago and I looked at a company called Scan.co.uk looking at their pro graphic systems and went from there to look for reviews on the individual components. The reason I chose Scan was because reviews rate them highly and their systems often get very favourable reviews in 3D magazines.

About a year ago I had a slight windfall so in the end I paid for Scan to build the system for me although that was not the intent when I started out. This has been part of my planning for the last three systems spanning the last ten years and it has always worked out well even though the first two were built by me. Both the older systems are still running, one dealing with general day to day stuff and the other giving network render capability.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

McGrandpa posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 3:04 PM

I built the desktop I am on right now in 2008. Yeah, just over 11 years ago. I am flabberghasted that it's actually held up so long. Quite a tribute to Intel and Gigabyte and Patriot (RAM). the Base 3 are a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0) LG775 motherboard, an Intel Q9550 "Core Duo" Quadcore CPU and 8 gigs of Patriot DDR2-800 SDRam. Everything else has been upgraded or otherwise replaced a few times since then. 4 PSU's have popped, leading me to go straight single rail 12V @ 750W PSU. Multi-rail actually makes no good sense at all from an Electricians POV.
I am sure I need at least a good Quadcore CPU with Hyper Threading. Be better if a 6 core HT. And I want maximum RAM. Like, 32 to 64 gigs. I have a fair little EVGA GT 740 OC 2 gig vid card. Can make do with that for a while yet. Now, Hard Disks. I am NOT going to continue using 'spinners'. Not after several years of flawless performance with FIVE SATA internal SSD's, from 460 gig (oldest) to 1 TB (newest 3) and a 500 Gig I tossed in for extra storage. The OS is, and will continue to be Win 7 Pro x64. I own it, I LIKE it, and that's that. 😀 Soo, any suggestions as to mobo/CPU/RAM combo?
TIA!

My 66th Birthday PC Build (July 1, 2020) :  named BadMoonRYZEN!, W10Pro x64, Octal Core RYZEN7 X3700 4.05 GHz, 64GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce RTX 3060 - 12GB GDDR6, PP2014, PP 11, P12, PS-CS4 Extended & Vue 2024.

McG.

McGrandpa posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 3:14 PM

Oops, my current RAM is Kingston.

My 66th Birthday PC Build (July 1, 2020) :  named BadMoonRYZEN!, W10Pro x64, Octal Core RYZEN7 X3700 4.05 GHz, 64GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce RTX 3060 - 12GB GDDR6, PP2014, PP 11, P12, PS-CS4 Extended & Vue 2024.

McG.

hornet3d posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 3:20 PM

McGrandpa posted at 9:07PM Sun, 29 September 2019 - #4364779

I built the desktop I am on right now in 2008. Yeah, just over 11 years ago. I am flabberghasted that it's actually held up so long. Quite a tribute to Intel and Gigabyte and Patriot (RAM). the Base 3 are a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0) LG775 motherboard, an Intel Q9550 "Core Duo" Quadcore CPU and 8 gigs of Patriot DDR2-800 SDRam. Everything else has been upgraded or otherwise replaced a few times since then. 4 PSU's have popped, leading me to go straight single rail 12V @ 750W PSU. Multi-rail actually makes no good sense at all from an Electricians POV.
I am sure I need at least a good Quadcore CPU with Hyper Threading. Be better if a 6 core HT. And I want maximum RAM. Like, 32 to 64 gigs. I have a fair little EVGA GT 740 OC 2 gig vid card. Can make do with that for a while yet. Now, Hard Disks. I am NOT going to continue using 'spinners'. Not after several years of flawless performance with FIVE SATA internal SSD's, from 460 gig (oldest) to 1 TB (newest 3) and a 500 Gig I tossed in for extra storage. The OS is, and will continue to be Win 7 Pro x64. I own it, I LIKE it, and that's that. 😀 Soo, any suggestions as to mobo/CPU/RAM combo?
TIA!

I have been using Gigabyte motherboards for close on twenty years, at least four of them are still working (from about 10 in all) and not one of the systems failed due to the motherboard. I have a two 500G SSDs for the main system I am currently onlu using spinners for the archival purposes. I also have five more 500G SSDs in external USB enclosures. The 250G and 500g SSDs on the system before are still running, now in it's sixth year. The only other spinners I have are two 4TB units in a NAS system.

Up until the latest system I always used Intel CPUs but this time I switched to AMD in the form of a Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, giving me 16 cores and 32 threads. I am fairly certain a twin Xeon CPU system would beat it easily but for the sort of renders I do in Poser I am more than happy with the performance.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

McGrandpa posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 3:28 PM

Hiya Hornet3d! That's a familiar face though I don't recognize the handle. Didn't you put entries in the 2008 BluesDragon FRAZETTA ART contest at DAZ? I tell ya, THAT was a truly fun, GREAT experience!

I don't mind going AMD CPU again, as long as I can get a gobb of cores with hyperthreading! And I see RAM for AMD CPU's is way cheaper than that for Intel CPU's. So, WHAT motherboard is that, the AMD Aorus? So I'd be looking at around $600 for a 32 gig basic 3 setup. Not bad, not bad at all. THIS was $900 way back when. RAM hurt back then!
I have been using Gigabyte motherboards a long time too. They have all been rock solid even in the early days when Asus was taking over the realm. Gigabyte withstood the abuse and criticism without a hitch. Might not have been the snazziest, fastest, most overclockingist....but excelled at staying rock solid. As my current one attests to! Ahh me, my first Gigabyte was also my first 64 bit rig. Still have it, might still work too. But way too old and the OS was XP Pro x64 OEM. Duh. I have built 11 Gigabyte rigs, most for family. 4 for me, one left running. I tend to cannibalize old ones to build up the next rig, and so on. Gigabyte is solid. !!! Thanks for the response!

McG.

McGrandpa posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 4:15 PM

Copy/Paste thwarted by missing 'r' in "ThreadRipper". THAT is one whoopa** cpu for a moderate price. Its less than $100 over what I paid for this old Q9550. I LIKE 16 cores with 32 threads. BUT I like the 6 core 12 threads Ryzen 5 gen 2 6 Core, AMD RYZEN 5 2600X 6-Core for under $200 as opposed to $479 for the 16 core. Gosh I am like a kid in a candy store over here at NewEgg! LOL!

McG.

hornet3d posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 5:22 PM

McGrandpa posted at 11:20PM Sun, 29 September 2019 - #4364785

Hiya Hornet3d! That's a familiar face though I don't recognize the handle. Didn't you put entries in the 2008 BluesDragon FRAZETTA ART contest at DAZ? I tell ya, THAT was a truly fun, GREAT experience!

I don't mind going AMD CPU again, as long as I can get a gobb of cores with hyperthreading! And I see RAM for AMD CPU's is way cheaper than that for Intel CPU's. So, WHAT motherboard is that, the AMD Aorus? So I'd be looking at around $600 for a 32 gig basic 3 setup. Not bad, not bad at all. THIS was $900 way back when. RAM hurt back then!
I have been using Gigabyte motherboards a long time too. They have all been rock solid even in the early days when Asus was taking over the realm. Gigabyte withstood the abuse and criticism without a hitch. Might not have been the snazziest, fastest, most overclockingist....but excelled at staying rock solid. As my current one attests to! Ahh me, my first Gigabyte was also my first 64 bit rig. Still have it, might still work too. But way too old and the OS was XP Pro x64 OEM. Duh. I have built 11 Gigabyte rigs, most for family. 4 for me, one left running. I tend to cannibalize old ones to build up the next rig, and so on. Gigabyte is solid. !!! Thanks for the response!

Sorry no, I am not the one that entered the contest at Daz, although it was along time ago and my memory is not what it was I can be sure as I never enter contest, don't think my art is good enough.

hornet3d posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 5:33 PM

McGrandpa posted at 11:22PM Sun, 29 September 2019 - #4364791

Copy/Paste thwarted by missing 'r' in "ThreadRipper". THAT is one whoopa** cpu for a moderate price. Its less than $100 over what I paid for this old Q9550. I LIKE 16 cores with 32 threads. BUT I like the 6 core 12 threads Ryzen 5 gen 2 6 Core, AMD RYZEN 5 2600X 6-Core for under $200 as opposed to $479 for the 16 core. Gosh I am like a kid in a candy store over here at NewEgg! LOL!

I think all the latest multi core AMD CPUs are great value for money and I would have happily gone for the 2600X but I had a slight windfall. The company I had once worked for, and with whom I had a pension, went bust leading to legal battles that lasted the best part of ten years. I had long since given up on seeing the whole saga settled but finally an agreement was reached. I had been 'window shopping' for a new system for a year or more and all of a sudden I had a lot of money I had not really expected so I not only purchased a system but the 2600X morphed into the 1950X along with a load of upgraded ancillaries like 64gig of Ram. I guessed it was probably the only time in my life I would be able to afford such a system and after 43 years of near continuous employment (I was without a job for only six weeks in there somewhere) I thought I would treat myself to a fancy retirement present.

perpetualrevision posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 6:21 PM

I know this thread will be of interest primarily to Windows users, but in case there are any Mac users viewing it, esp. MacBook Pro users, I thought I'd add that I've finally been able to outfit a MacBook Pro w/ enough power to run Poser pretty well, even with my modeling app (Cheetah3D) and/or Photoshop CC running at the same time. I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro with 32gb of RAM, a 1TB SSD, a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9 processor, and the Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB graphics card. My previous MacBook Pro had the same size of SSD, but the RAM, processor, and graphics card are all significant improvements, and it shows!

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

HartyBart posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 9:26 PM

An update on my Xeon note (top of the Forum thread). From Seachnasaigh on a Smith Micro Poser forum, three years ago, responding to Nerd 3D. The ideal was then:

"Westmere series Xeon processors X series X5650 through 90. Search eBay for 2x X5650 and look for base units with two CPUs fitted".

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

hornet3d posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 12:46 AM

perpetualrevision posted at 6:43AM Mon, 30 September 2019 - #4364810

I know this thread will be of interest primarily to Windows users, but in case there are any Mac users viewing it, esp. MacBook Pro users, I thought I'd add that I've finally been able to outfit a MacBook Pro w/ enough power to run Poser pretty well, even with my modeling app (Cheetah3D) and/or Photoshop CC running at the same time. I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro with 32gb of RAM, a 1TB SSD, a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9 processor, and the Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB graphics card. My previous MacBook Pro had the same size of SSD, but the RAM, processor, and graphics card are all significant improvements, and it shows!

Well the way the thread has proceeded is certainly heavily Windows based but the title of the thread clearly show no such intent so thank you for adding the Mac information. despite the fact I am a Windows user does not exclude wanting to know of alternatives.

hornet3d posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 12:52 AM

HartyBart posted at 6:47AM Mon, 30 September 2019 - #4364828

An update on my Xeon note (top of the Forum thread). From Seachnasaigh on a Smith Micro Poser forum, three years ago, responding to Nerd 3D. The ideal was then:

"Westmere series Xeon processors X series X5650 through 90. Search eBay for 2x X5650 and look for base units with two CPUs fitted".

I did look at Xeon as a possible system when I upgraded recently the reason I did not go that route was two fold really, the cost of used units here in the UK is a lot more expensive than in the US while the cost of new was much higher than what I paid. I did look at a new Xeon system but it was a lot more expensive than my present system and I was already pushing the expense a lot higher than I had planned. The other factor was that, having built all of my systems for many years, I have reached the point I would rather not and preferred to pay someone else to do it. All of that does not blind me to fact that dual Xeon is probably the way to go.

McGrandpa posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 4:26 AM

OK... @Hornet3d - ok on your not submitting any art to that contest. Does that mean you were not even looking in on it? Anyway, I felt like you did. My "art" was definitely Wannabe stuff. But many people I'd rubbed elbows with from my meager beginning in this sector of the realm in 2004 wouldn't stand for that. I'd been just exploding with jubilation with HEMI426's brand new Centaur "Kits", for V4/M4 at that time. So, I made Centaur art! And named some of them. Eeek.! Been up n down sick for a long time now, still fighting the diabetes stuff now that the big 'C' thing seems to have been licked. And still love tinkering with the computer stuff as well as using it. Hey, I did enjoy the Electrical/Mechanical stuff in the industry!
So. WE don't stand by while one of our long-timers just thinks they ain't "Good Enough" !!! Baloney. I was, you are! 😄

McG.

McGrandpa posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 4:29 AM

Well, me, I am honestly looking to get the most bang for my pennies I can. And, RYZEN/Gigabyte Aorus CPU/Mobo are looking excellent so far. Picked a CPU, looking through motherboards, will tackle RAM last.

McG.

hornet3d posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 6:42 AM

McGrandpa posted at 12:41PM Mon, 30 September 2019 - #4364847

OK... @Hornet3d - ok on your not submitting any art to that contest. Does that mean you were not even looking in on it? Anyway, I felt like you did. My "art" was definitely Wannabe stuff. But many people I'd rubbed elbows with from my meager beginning in this sector of the realm in 2004 wouldn't stand for that. I'd been just exploding with jubilation with HEMI426's brand new Centaur "Kits", for V4/M4 at that time. So, I made Centaur art! And named some of them. Eeek.! Been up n down sick for a long time now, still fighting the diabetes stuff now that the big 'C' thing seems to have been licked. And still love tinkering with the computer stuff as well as using it. Hey, I did enjoy the Electrical/Mechanical stuff in the industry!
So. WE don't stand by while one of our long-timers just thinks they ain't "Good Enough" !!! Baloney. I was, you are! 😄

Well I can join you on the diabetes fight as well so we have a fair bit in common.

hornet3d posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 6:45 AM

McGrandpa posted at 12:43PM Mon, 30 September 2019 - #4364848

Well, me, I am honestly looking to get the most bang for my pennies I can. And, RYZEN/Gigabyte Aorus CPU/Mobo are looking excellent so far. Picked a CPU, looking through motherboards, will tackle RAM last.

That combination certainly meets the criteria, my criteria was the same which is why I finished up with that sort of combo rather than the dual Xeon, for the money I had it gave me the biggest bang for sure.

McGrandpa posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 5:48 PM

Wow, you can even find this stuff at Walmart.com! LOL! I have learned quite a lot the last few days. That 16 core CPU is used by special motherboards/chipsets. Most of the mobo's I'm looking at won't support more than an 8 core CPU. But even that one is really really tempting at just $199.99. Just takes me cobbling my pennies together and paying them! 😆

McG.

hornet3d posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 6:05 PM

McGrandpa posted at 11:55PM Mon, 30 September 2019 - #4365036

Wow, you can even find this stuff at Walmart.com! LOL! I have learned quite a lot the last few days. That 16 core CPU is used by special motherboards/chipsets. Most of the mobo's I'm looking at won't support more than an 8 core CPU. But even that one is really really tempting at just $199.99. Just takes me cobbling my pennies together and paying them! 😆

That was one of the reasons I started my research on a site who build computers both for the home and industry markets. What I did was to pick one of their basic configuration for an graphics computer and then used the configure option. This allows you to select the CPU and then go to the options for the motherboard, as the idea is they may have to build it you can only configure motherboards that will support the selected CPU. The same for each component so it gives endless fun playing with configurations and my plan was to come up with the required components and then build it myself, that way I at least knew all my components would work together. In the end that part of the plan changed so once I had my system configured I actually had them build it. Of course it cost me more but they soak test everything for 24 hours so if anything did fail early on they had to change it rather than me. All I had to do was sit back and wait for a fully tested system to arrive on my doorstep and I used the time to plan the software change over from old to new.

McGrandpa posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 6:17 AM

soak test, we used to call that the burn-in. This one was build it, turn it on and run it 11 years. Yeah. It passed!

McG.

hornet3d posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 6:30 AM

McGrandpa posted at 12:26PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365122

soak test, we used to call that the burn-in. This one was build it, turn it on and run it 11 years. Yeah. It passed!

Yes, they may well have called it a burn in but a company I worked for used to call it a soak test so maybe it was my term. What they did do was leave the results of the tests they ran with a link provided on the desktop. There were some interesting results and they certainly put it under a lot more load than I would have done on a new system I had just built.

McGrandpa posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 6:43 AM

I've seen a few rigs fail those tests. So yeah they are useful for sure. Most of the time, mine worked or didn't. If not, trace back to see where i goofed. I'm not perfect, and do forget to do things now and then. Like forget to plug the CPU power connector in. Did that a couple times. Well, on to shop some more. Just had my monthly deposit come in, so that cheers me up.

McG.