Forum: Blender

Subject: Help needed for exporting an obj to use as a morph

RAMWorks opened this issue on Dec 26, 2021 ยท 10 posts

RAMWorks posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 5:27 PM

Hi,

I did a lovely sculpt on L'Homme in Blender 3.0 and am very happy with it but I guess I probably didn't export it properly from Blender.  So of course Poser creates the dial but nothing happens so I guess I need to export again but I have no idea what the proper export settings are to accomplish this.  I know where the tools are in the export dialog but like most export dialogs or page there are many options and don't know which boxes to check or uncheck.  See the screen grab image below and if you know please inform me if you would.  

Thanks so much

Richard 

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

RedPhantom posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 6:18 PM Site Admin

Here are the settings for exporting objs morphs. You can ignore the scale. I have a tendency to scale all poser stuff so I automatically shrink.

However, usually, when I import a morph and I don't get error messages but it doesn't do anything, I have found it's the import settings that were wrong. I can't guarantee that is the case, I'm not an expert, but you might look at that too. These are the settings I use for importing.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RAMWorks posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 7:22 PM

Thank you so much!  :grin:

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

odf posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 8:40 PM Online Now!

If you're like me, forgot the "Keep Vertex Order" on import and then spent hours morphing, there's a script in my file locker that may be able to repair your mesh.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

Lobo3433 posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 9:23 PM Forum Moderator

Here is a Tutorial by Tony Vilters it is a bit dated but the principals are pretty much the same

Poser2Blender2Poser3 Working with FBM and HD Morphs in ALL Poser versions

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

yarp posted Thu, 13 January 2022 at 7:18 AM

Thank you Lobo. I've been trying to do a morph lately but I failed miserably.

it is not that the dial didn't do anything. This time it did and the object exploded into pieces :)

I gave up that day, but I will try with the above settings instead of following my own inspiration (maybe I was too confident).

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

Lobo3433 posted Thu, 13 January 2022 at 8:11 AM Forum Moderator

Hello yarp 

Sorry to hear you are still having issues I have never worked with morphs and the only tutorials on the subject are by Tony Vilters who use to be around allot but have not seen him in some time in the forums. Maybe contacting him thru his YouTube channel in comments section he may reply and offer some insight he was always a really friendly guy and always shared his knowledge freely 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

yarp posted Thu, 13 January 2022 at 10:58 AM

It is not a big deal. I just wanted to experiment a bit.

I am mostly using Blender to edit meshes before importing them in Poser. Sometimes a morph is a good addition.

It is not that complicated. After all, all you have to make sure is that your object coordiantes at the same than the one you exported. I just did it from scratch without looking at any tutorial. Thought that if I paid great attention not moving the object it would work. How naive I was :)

I will follow his tutorial and the set the options as recommended here and hopefully it will work.

yarp posted Sat, 22 January 2022 at 5:07 AM

...and it worked this time.

Thinking back about where it went wrong the other time: I exported the prop obj from Poser instead of using the original mesh and probably messed up the original object coordinates. A classic isn't it ?

primorge posted Wed, 26 January 2022 at 5:33 PM

OP's problem is that he didn't export with polygroups intact. This results in a dead FBM dial in Poser... that is, a master dial with no connected dependencies where ordinarily would be slaved individual morph targets for each involved body part actor, or group. Upon using load full body morph command, Poser finding no group information, creates the master but there's no subserviant data to link up to it. Dead dial.