Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Does P 11 run on Linus with Wine?

starlingblue opened this issue on Mar 29, 2022 ยท 3 posts

starlingblue posted Tue, 29 March 2022 at 4:25 PM

I consider switching to Linux Mint with Wine, does anybody know if poser runs in this environment?

It seems that previous versions did run with Wine.

I have zero experience with Linux... I am just fed up with MS and want to try to switch

Penguinisto posted Wed, 30 March 2022 at 10:19 AM

Neither Poser or DAZ Studio run on Linux natively...

Not sure about P11, but here's what the WINE devs know about Poser's compatibility: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=115

(Last time I tried it was in 2004... it worked for the most part, but it was more than a little touchy back then. Hoping that 18 years may have improved things a bit for you... good luck!)

Cage posted Wed, 30 March 2022 at 11:08 AM

I used Poser Pro 2014 on Mint a bit in 2020.  It ran well enough on WiNE, although definitely slower than on Windows.  The main problem I had was the broken library, but that now affects all of the Poser 8 - 10 versions, and you wouldn't have to worry about it with P11.  A bigger complication for me was activating some of the lesser 3D programs that I use to support Poser.  It was possible, but I think I had to do some registry editing, copying entries from Windows to Linux.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.