Mon, Jul 8, 11:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 08 10:21 am)

Subject: Lighting in Superly (Poser 11)

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 4:49 PM
rokket posted at 3:49 PM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445057
Y-Phil posted at 2:25 PM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445054

Oh and red viper also provides with feg II a nice blush mask for the cheeks

Yeah, if I use V4, but I don't think it will work on Miki. Unless I can reverse engineer it.
Oh I never use vendors' material, only the bitmaps

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 8:16 AM · edited Fri, 23 September 2022 at 8:16 AM

I will try that later on. Right now I am trying to fake wet clothing. I did it once in post, but that was only for the bottom of a skirt. I will have to do some morph brush work too, so that the clothing clings tightly to the body. Seems I am talking my way into a solutioin.

Anyway, this one was done in post:

lZXwkGXTWNwJmQhsxyZAbK73bOtFjaQiBmFKIAtm.jpg

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 9:35 AM · edited Fri, 23 September 2022 at 9:35 AM

Oh you'll need to re-adapt the blush mask but it's doeable

N5COL3ejEwjlvJjmpbrpLfi0nrzfmTSo7PpCCvJE.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 12:33 PM

Will I need to make any changes to the mask, or just the material setup? I have been messing with the gown I have Miki wearing. I did some morph brush work to push the cloth so it looks like it's sticking to her skin. And I am adding an edge blend trying to simulate a wet look. I lowered the specular, but I may have to start playing with masks. I used a noise node to add transparency. I will eventually hit on the right setup...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 12:46 PM · edited Fri, 23 September 2022 at 12:46 PM

rokket posted at 12:33 PM Fri, 23 September 2022 - #4445115

Will I need to make any changes to the mask, or just the material setup? I have been messing with the gown I have Miki wearing. I did some morph brush work to push the cloth so it looks like it's sticking to her skin. And I am adding an edge blend trying to simulate a wet look. I lowered the specular, but I may have to start playing with masks. I used a noise node to add transparency. I will eventually hit on the right setup...

In fact I've shrink and moved somewhat the blush mask, if I can do this everybody can - 😁
Then, a simple Color_Math: Add will suffice, using its default skin

yLFzDGBVCcB5Al0ltlaFFHcGkTC7KKnhH3um3Oz7.png

PhYl.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 1:54 PM

That seems easy. I am rendering my wet dress now. I think I achieved the desired effect. I will find out. Preliminary renders looked promising, but still too grainy to really judge.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 4:12 PM

So I keep rendering, checking, stopping, tweaking, rendering, checking...

I think now I am finally satisfied enough to let it render out and maybe I'll post it. Waiting for the render is really boring.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 5:06 PM · edited Fri, 23 September 2022 at 5:06 PM

Crappity.

I keep trying to make it wet looking, but instead I am making it look like a satin evening gown....

Fda14kJaL92togZP9E5Nl1kbkdxpZ36RmdVdgBq0.png

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 5:07 PM

Maybe I have to reverse the edge blend.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 11:25 AM · edited Sat, 24 September 2022 at 11:25 AM

Ok, does this dress look wet?

CejZ0XgSZHmc4PcKNpb6MA4IORCiZ8SJz29gNHMD.png

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 11:26 AM

If I was going to do this as a scene, I would put a mask on the ground plane that is acting as the lake water and put ripples around her.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 12:03 PM
Online Now!

The dress could use a mask to simulate skin contact in certain places.  I recall a very old tutorial for a wet t-shirt.  I don't know if it can be found in the Rendo archives.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 12:20 PM

I used the morph brush and actually have the dress making contact with most areas I thought it would make contact if it was wet and sagging. I will check to see if I can find that tutorial.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 12:46 PM

Both Hongyu's Shirt and Roogna's WeTshirt are using transparency maps, indeed.

PhYl.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 1:31 PM

I have a transparency setup, and I am using two edge blend nodes. I was using a noise node for the trans map, but I took it off. I am rendering again.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 1:32 PM
Y-Phil posted at 12:46 PM Sat, 24 September 2022 - #4445184

Both Hongyu's Shirt and Roogna's WeTshirt are using transparency maps, indeed.

Where would I get them?

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 1:40 PM

Never mind. I found both of those names in the market place here. The Roogna market didn't include the WeTshirt, though...

I will experiment with some maps and see what I come up with.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 2:05 PM
Online Now!

I did a quick google and I got this from a different thread in the forum, it might help.  https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2690368

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 2:20 PM
hborre posted at 2:05 PM Sat, 24 September 2022 - #4445193

I did a quick google and I got this from a different thread in the forum, it might help.  https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2690368

I actually found that thread. The post with the node setup isn't much help because the picture is too small, and the link is dead. I think if my latest effort fails I will have to create my own trans map and try to do it that way.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 3:14 PM · edited Sat, 24 September 2022 at 3:15 PM

PhYl.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 4:14 PM
Y-Phil posted at 3:14 PM Sat, 24 September 2022 - #4445197

Roogna's: https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=72477

Hongyu's: https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=91404

Ah, I see that I actually do have to create a trans map to get the look I want. The other thing I am seeing is that those shirts are white, and the darker the color, the less transparent it is. So I have to work on a map.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2022 at 9:47 PM

This isn't working the way I want it to. I can't buy those shirts, but I wish I could get a look at the trans maps for the wet texture. I tried a couple different ways, but I am not sure how they are fashioned. I can't seem to get it right.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 11:26 AM · edited Sun, 25 September 2022 at 11:27 AM
rokket posted at 9:47 PM Sat, 24 September 2022 - #4445221

This isn't working the way I want it to. I can't buy those shirts, but I wish I could get a look at the trans maps for the wet texture. I tried a couple different ways, but I am not sure how they are fashioned. I can't seem to get it right.

That's because it's not transmaps that are creating the look. The diffuse textures for the cloth are painted to fake skin showing through ( you can do this by low intensity cloning of the diffuse body texture of the figure onto the tshirt texture map, you could get fancy with transparency of the cloning layers and layer styles and whatnot to perfect the look), also the cloth meshes are sculpted to have a wet look in the clinging folds.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 11:38 AM · edited Sun, 25 September 2022 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, I figured that much out. I don't want to go through all of that, but I think I got a pretty good wet dress out of it anyhow. I am running a render and I'll post as soon as I get it done.

The map I made is just a test. I saved all the GIMP files so that I could redo it fairly easy if I am not completely satisfied with how they turn out. But I looked at the render that is about 2/3 of the way to completion, and I like what I am seeing.

I think I may have to include a mask on her skin shader so that the water droplets don't come through the dress and look fake. I would have to remove the water from the cycles shader on her body where the dress is covering her.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 11:57 AM

Definitely getting closer to what I wanted.

KXBFiZ3x8XA2grua31vEkzCz6NfSzxNrl4AdYqB6.png

And, no I didn't let the render finish...

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 12:25 PM

That's not bad. Though her shoulder bends make me want to barf. Most Poser figure's shoulders do. Kind of defeats the purpose of a PBR renderer... but I know that one falls on cognitive dissonant ears.

Well done.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 12:29 PM

Also would probably look better if you didn't always use such lo res textures on your landscape elements. One way to get around the high texture res hit is to compose your landscape elements of many smaller parts rather than 1 or 2 large pieces with, say, 4k textures.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 12:34 PM

...though now that I think of it a 8k texture by itself is probably less resource heavy than a few 4k textures.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 12:58 PM

rokket posted at 11:57 AM Sun, 25 September 2022 - #4445236

Definitely getting closer to what I wanted.

And, no I didn't let the render finish...

Great! 😄

PhYl.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 1:15 PM
primorge posted at 12:29 PM Sun, 25 September 2022 - #4445239

Also would probably look better if you didn't always use such lo res textures on your landscape elements. One way to get around the high texture res hit is to compose your landscape elements of many smaller parts rather than 1 or 2 large pieces with, say, 4k textures.

I don't compose them. I got them from HDR Haven a long while back. I haven't downloaded anything new since I was on Poser 10.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 1:35 PM

Awesome! 😆☝️

;)

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 2:52 PM

As a conversational aside, knowing that you use Wings mostly, I just downloaded the latest version and it performs way better than whatever version I was using. Maybe I accidentally installed the 32 bit version last time because this installation is like night and day above what I had installed. Very nice. The forced drag docking of the UV editor was driving me crazy, solved in this version. Plus graphically much prettier. I was a bit worried about Wings for a minute there, I mean it's getting buried by Blender but for some things it's just much faster.

Anyway.

When I said "compose" earlier I meant putting the landscapes together. Not making them. So for instance you could take a few smaller grassy rocks and such and combine them together so that the textures aren't so obviously pixelated. See what I'm saying?

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 2:58 PM

Oh, yeah! You were talking about that Double Hill prop I have been sneaking into my renders since I got it when I was in Poser 9!

I did update the textures for it, but I didn't bother to use them this time around. Probably should have. That texture is pretty bad.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 4:48 PM
Online Now!

That render looks great.  Looks like you solved your wet clothing problem.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 6:16 PM
hborre posted at 4:48 PM Sun, 25 September 2022 - #4445257

That render looks great.  Looks like you solved your wet clothing problem.

Yep. Now I have to repeat it for V4 and whatever clothing I can come up with. I may just go with the button down shirt and yoga pants. The pants are black, so they will not show if they get wet.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 7:08 PM
Online Now!

Is it possible to share the secret of wet clothing? In Poser, I mean? Please?

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 7:18 PM

It's all in the way it fits, which is that it clings to the skin, so you use the morph brush to tighten it to the body. After that, it's the transparency maps that do the work. From there it's a lot of tweaking in the material room.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 7:20 PM

Some of the clothing that was shared in this thread uses layered texture maps with a fake skin embedded in in the map to give off the illusion of wet cloth clinging to the skin. I just used the morph brush and several attempts at transparency maps until I got it right.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 7:26 PM
Online Now!

OK, thanks.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2022 at 10:59 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

You can do it in the cloth room too if you're comfortable using it. Increase the cloth density and the air dampening.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 9:25 AM
RedPhantom posted at 10:59 PM Sun, 25 September 2022 - #4445278

You can do it in the cloth room too if you're comfortable using it. Increase the cloth density and the air dampening.

I did both. Cloth room first, then used the morph brush to finish it.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 12:38 PM · edited Mon, 26 September 2022 at 12:38 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Just doing something while I work out a couple of issues in my head. Thought it might be fun. There is only one light in the scene, a spotlight I am using to fake the street lamp, since they didn't include an actual lamp in the prop. I plugged that texture into V4 and set the ambient to .5 on her skin and to 5 on her eyes and sclera. I used Simon casual and one of his Poser 9 poses that I had to tweak.

4MmebfrL7RQFUXNSnHf7XkeyN3b02ZntX7OGRAFc.png

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 1:05 PM
Online Now!

Nice render.  I suggest that you place a very low-intensity lamp toward Simon's position from where V4 is tinted the same color as the emission.  The surrounding area, including the figure, will catch some of the light spill-over making the scene a little more interesting.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 1:14 PM

I didn't save the pz2. But if I do make something like this again, I'll take that into account.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 2:05 PM

I think I will redo it anyhow. And make it a less thematically dark scene.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 2:38 PM · edited Mon, 26 September 2022 at 2:38 PM
Online Now!

The problem with using the ambient setting on the PoserSurface node is the potential of washing out textures if the ambient value is too high.  To work around this, you can surround the figure/object with a primitive, crank up the emission, and under the Properties tab, make the surrounding primitive not visible in the camera.  You can even change the primitive's emission color for a cool-looking color.  This will only work for Superfly renders.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 3:50 PM

I am not cranking them up that high. I kind of wanted the eyes to wash out a little bit. But I am running a second render right now and I am fairly happy.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2022 at 7:37 PM · edited Tue, 27 September 2022 at 7:06 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

I don't know. I think the first one was better...

667tPuwEopz9qBnWzGFMj16n2IOxuCHzh4lCn38b.png

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2022 at 1:29 AM
rokket posted at 7:37 PM Mon, 26 September 2022 - #4445329

I don't know. I think the first one was better...

I'm loving this one, in particular the woman's movement and pose, except maybe. IMO slightly bend further the woman's head (but I may be wrong!)

PhYl.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2022 at 9:58 AM

I washed out her eyes a little bit (on purpose), so it's hard to tell that she is looking right at James.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.