Forum: Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Subject: Seeking advice on adding weight-mapped jaw movements to a legacy figure

odf opened this issue on Aug 04, 2022 ยท 7 posts

odf posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 2:30 AM

Small disclaimer: I'm actually a P12 user, but I've been told here is where all the cool and knowledgeable kids hang out, so...

Over the past year or so, I've been playing with an old figure, Antonia, that some may remember. She was made before weight-maps became a thing in Poser, and so she has a MouthOpen morph in the head actor to go with the jaw x-rotate, but no support for the other jaw movements.

I'd like to change that, and my provisional plan is to create a weight-map for the x-rotate, than copy that over to the other relevant jaw movements (I'm thinking y-rotate, z-translate and y-translate), make any tweaks necessary for the individual movements and finally add bulges and JCMs where necessary.

Once everything works, I'd also like to create an injection pose with all the changes that can be loaded into the regular CR2s.

General question: does that sound like a reasonable plan, and what are the dos and donts that I should be aware of?

More specific questions:

- Is copying weight maps between channels a good idea? Will it work? Anything I need to be aware of? Is there a way to do it directly in Poser, or do I need to edit files (no problem if it's the latter, just wondering).

- Do joint setup changes in injection poses work? If so, what do I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.