Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Tips for Using an External Drive for Daz Content?

IAmNobodySpecial opened this issue on Nov 14, 2022 ยท 10 posts

IAmNobodySpecial posted Mon, 14 November 2022 at 2:25 PM

Well, I just suffered a 4th catastrophic loss of my Acer Swift 3 computer in the past two years. So it is back to the drawing board yet AGAIN. This time the submicroscopic pins inside the battery cable bent/broke when I went to install a new battery, and that is impossible to fix without a repair shop. This is the only laptop I've encountered in 30 years that will not run on A/C power when no battery is connected. So that laptop is headed for the dumpster. Thanks a lot for wasting two years of my life with that stylish piece of high-maintenance garbage, Acer Computers.

So I now have two (pretty weak and pathetic) computers remaining. I would like to put my active Daz Content on an external drive, so I can install/update to just one place, and then plug that drive into whichever computer I'm running Daz on at the moment. That'll free up a lot of space on the computers' internal drives, too. In theory, I could use two external drives to run Daz on both machines, if I have a large project with many renders to do.

But we're talking about Daz Studio here, so I have to ask... can I really just do something that simple? Or will I experience unexpected "problems", Daz style?

My goal is to label it Drive Z on any computers that will use it, so I won't have to change the drive letter and have the new computer search for everything all over again. Has anyone done this before, and did it work?

Also, any recommendations on using a portable hard drive versus a portable SSD drive, in terms of loading/rendering speed and such? I'd prefer a hard drive for stability and longevity and cost, but not if it takes an extra half hour to load each Genesis 8 character.

I already have the entire Daz and 3rd Party content folders backed up elsewhere. I learned that lesson on Acer Crash #3. So I'm hoping this will just be a Copy, Configure, and Run operation.

Any info/tips/experiences/suggestions appreciated!

Paul