Forum: The Break Room

Subject: Honestly, what do YOU think of AI "art"

rokket opened this issue on Feb 06, 2023 ยท 35 posts

rokket posted Mon, 06 February 2023 at 9:29 PM

I am starting to see a flood of it on DeviantArt. Almost all the images I am seeing (because I don't want to see yet another naked female, so I choose to only look at 3D or painitngs, et al) lately have been AI.

I don't see it as art. With what we do, especially me since I create almost everything the figures are wearing, there is a skill set. With what I used to do, drawing, painting, inking, there is a definite skill set.

But I have messed with some of the AI online sites. A couple of key phrases and a couple of mouse clicks, and you have an image.

Where is the skill in that? Where is the creativity? It's all in the software. There are some incredible images created out of it. Look on DA. There are some that look photo realistic. The uncanny valley has been crossed.

But there is no skill involved. While some might argue that it lets everyone create art, the imagination, the years of perfecting your skill set, or your workflow is not there. You can learn to manipulate the software in a matter of minutes.

If I am wrong, tell me.

But it's like the old musician's argument that a DJ is not a musician. AI manipulation is not art.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.