Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 12 preview & anim palette problems, varios Qu.s

grwall opened this issue on Aug 04, 2023 ยท 5 posts

grwall posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 2:04 AM

A few questions if anyone has time, related to Poser 12:

1) The animation palette is quite a bit faster in Poser 12 than in Poser 11 (I think due to abandoning the calculations for displaying numbers and type letters in the keyframes, along with a generally slow string handling). However, I notice that, once a project gets pretty big, like 1000+ keyframes (not just frames of the project, actual keyframes, heh), it really starts to bog down Poser pretty quick again. This can clearly be seen when making changes to the scene (adjusting dials) or manipulating keyframes in the palette. Closing the palette entirely removes the lag, so it is reasonable to assume it's something to do simply with the palette trying to update its display.
   Do other people see this? Is there a way to fix this on the user end?  Any idea as to a cause?

2) I notice that the Preview renderer seems to be limited to displaying 5 lights concurrently. Turning on a 6th light will cause one of the other lights to not render. It doesn't turn "off" in its properties, it's light is simply not displayed in the preview. It's fine in a 'real' render (superfly or firefly).
   Is there a way to work around this, like a setting to increase the preview renderer's max lights? IS this an OpenGL limitation or a Poser limitation?

3) I've noticed that the Preview renderer craps out on "poser surface" or "Physical Surface" root nodes (the root nodes that work in the preview renderer, afaik) using materials that attempt to display the output from a chain of nodes that pulls from more than 5 textures (the "image map" nodes). This is not simply "having" > 5 image nodes in the material, it is specifically that the current chain of active data requires pulling from > 5 textures. After a 6th texture is pulled from, the material display in the Preview renderer starts doing weird stuff, like wrong colors, black textures, etc...
   The material is fine in a 'real' render (superfly, firefly).
   Is this a limitation of the preview renderer? Is it a limitation of particular drivers or software (doesn't seem like it)? Is there any way around this?

4) I'd like to use the PMD external binary morph files for objects with alot of morphs, to minimize save-file size AND to 'centralize' the source of morphs on particular objects (by using the PMD in the library, rather than the deltas being saved into each project file). However, the objects to which the PMD's apply may have new morphs added later.
   if the PMD in the library is updated with new morphs, project files that already had that object added will only reference the morphs (by a UUID in the save file, not the name of the morph) that existed in the PMD at the time the object was added to that project. If one tries to 'copy' , 'inject', or otherwise add the new morphs in the older project file,  Poser ends up adding them into a "local" PMD (referenced by "customuuid" in the save file) for the project file (so, saves it like  projectname.PMD along with the projectname.pzz or pz3 file), not as referencing the "library" PMD. This, in turn, causes PMDs with different data to spread all over the place...  one can't really use a PMD as an adjustable "central source of truth" for morphs  on an object.
   If that makes sense (heh), is there a way around this?  Basically, to add morphs to a PMD in the Library for an object, and have those 'import' into an older project in such a way that the central, library PMD is still used and not a 'local' PMD?