Forum: Poser 13

Subject: A native Linux version of Poser....

blackbonner opened this issue on Dec 28, 2023 ยท 13 posts

blackbonner posted Thu, 28 December 2023 at 9:35 AM

Hello fellow Poser users, 

I would like to know your thoughts on the possibility of a native Linux version of Poser.

Some of you may know that I have experimented with hosting a Poser version on a Linux OS for a couple of years now, with mixed results. I'm currently running Windows 10 on my very old system. As we all know, Windows 10 is expiring 2025 and Windows 11 and 12 are coming. Windows 11 asks for certain requirements to be meet by our hardware. Since we spend most of our resources on the newest and fastest graphics cards, most of us use the older, but completely functional Mainboards and CPUs I assume. The question is will you buy a new computer who meets Microsofts requirements, running Windows 11 or 12 or do you run an unsupported Windows 10 until your older hardware dies?

This set as the premise, I would like to introduce another option, just as a thought experiment. Given that your hardware is, let's say 5-8 years old, it could run at least for the same amount of time on a Linux based OS, save and secure. The hustle is that your and mine favorite software does not support Linux.

Keeping sll that has been said in mind, would you like to have a Poser version that runs native on the Linux platform?

And to the developers of software my question is, how hard is it to compile a program like Poser for the Linux environment?

Sorry for the length of the text, but I wanted to make sure you get the idea behind it.