Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: So, whadda ya call this?

DocPhoton opened this issue on May 30, 2024 ยท 9 posts

DocPhoton posted Thu, 30 May 2024 at 2:08 AM Online Now!

Does this pose, gesture, or whatever, have an "official" name?  And, no, it's not in the Hands Dial-up products. I looked. ;)

We've all seen it, done it (particularly if you have siblings), seems more or less universal, & most likely goes by a different name in each corner of the planet. There's probably already an apt Yiddish word already that I've never heard, but wondering if there's a general consensus.

I asked this on a Discord channel that's frequented predominantly by Europeans and surprisingly got zip other than one person who did an extensive Google search with similar results.

So, now it's become a bit of a challenge I suppose.

GGreen posted Thu, 30 May 2024 at 4:21 AM Online Now!

Try this link - type this in google  finger poses meaning

prixat posted Thu, 30 May 2024 at 5:12 AM

Bhuddism/Hinduism/Yoga has many hand positions used in meditation, called Mudras, each with it's own name.

This one looks a bit like Shuni Mudra.

regards
prixat

RFreise posted Thu, 30 May 2024 at 5:49 AM

Looks like the hand position for thumping someone on the nose or the middle of the forehead

Wolfenshire posted Thu, 30 May 2024 at 6:10 AM Site Admin

The number 8 in sign language.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

DocPhoton posted Thu, 30 May 2024 at 11:42 AM Online Now!

RFreise posted at 5:49 AM Thu, 30 May 2024 - #4485424

Looks like the hand position for thumping someone on the nose or the middle of the forehead

That's what I'm looking for but the other replies gives me some leads.

FirstBastion posted Thu, 13 June 2024 at 11:06 PM

That's called a "flick", The thumb holds back the finger until enough pressure builds up and then the middle finger releases,  and it stings the contact. I've seen it used to flick a bug off a shoulder or flick someone's ear,

Technically the pose is actually  "preparing to flick" but it is part of the finger flick action.

DocPhoton posted Fri, 14 June 2024 at 9:21 AM Online Now!

A friend from New York City referred to is as: "The Booger Flick". But you'd think it'd have a more traditional or official term.

FirstBastion posted Fri, 14 June 2024 at 7:19 PM

Flick is the official term, if you google search finger flick, you will get that pose and action.