Forum: New Poser Users Help

Subject: What happened to poser and la femme?

drawn opened this issue on Jul 04, 2024 · 14 posts

drawn posted Thu, 04 July 2024 at 11:09 AM

In recent sales on Renderosity about all the offerings are for daz and genesis. Are vendors abandoning poser or what???

drawn

Rhia474 posted Thu, 04 July 2024 at 12:51 PM

You can filter to Poser only and see the difference. I have beaten this horse to death already so won't repeat myself.

Anim8dtoon posted Fri, 05 July 2024 at 9:03 AM Forum Moderator

drawn posted at 11:09 AM Thu, 4 July 2024 - #2988403

In recent sales on Renderosity about all the offerings are for daz and genesis. Are vendors abandoning poser or what???

drawn

No, vendors haven't abandoned Poser. As a matter of fact, there are new Poser products in the pipeline and they will be available in the Marketplace soon. 

-Anim8dtoon

Anim8dtoon posted Fri, 05 July 2024 at 9:10 AM Forum Moderator

Also, there are a lot of freebies in the Freestuff area, not just for La Femme, but also for other Poser figures (Antonia, L'Homme, V4/M4, Dawn/Dusk, etc., etc.). It's amazing how much content one can accumulate for their runtime just through the freestuff area alone.

drawn posted Sat, 06 July 2024 at 5:51 PM

I have not yet managed to USE any of the freebie stuff from here. I tell it to download and it disappears…

drawn

hborre posted Sat, 06 July 2024 at 6:53 PM

After downloading, manually install the content into your chosen runtime.  It would be best if you determined where your download folder is located.  

drawn posted Sun, 07 July 2024 at 7:04 AM

Ah good point hb, I thought there was just the Mac’s download but there’s also one in poser, right? Which one do freebies go to?

hborre posted Sun, 07 July 2024 at 10:42 AM

Poser does not track freebies.  You need to go through your MAC for manual installation.

Rhia474 posted Sun, 07 July 2024 at 11:28 AM

You are confusing a Poser Runtime called Downloads with your computer's Downloads folder. Not the same. I don't know MACs, but there HAS to be a folder on that computer where the zip files go to (on a Windows machine it is called Downloads). You need to go into that, extract the zip into it (to keep it simple) and then drag the contents of the Runtime folder from THAT into whichever Runtime you want to use from your Poser program--if you want to use the Poser Downloads runtime, that's fine.

Again, first find where your MAC's Downloads folder is located--that is where all those freebies download to. A simple Google search for 'where are my downloads on a MAC' may find the answer, I imagine.

Rhia474 posted Sun, 07 July 2024 at 11:30 AM

Here, this took me exactly 5 seconds to find:

On a Mac, the default location for downloaded files is the Downloads folder in the user folder. You can find the Downloads folder in the following ways:
  • Dock: The Downloads folder may appear in the Dock as a blue folder with a download symbol or as a stack of files.
  • Finder sidebar: Under "Favorites" in the Finder sidebar.
  • Go > Downloads: In the Finder.
  • Option+Command+L: On the keyboard. 

drawn posted Mon, 08 July 2024 at 8:57 AM

I looked in Downloads folder and searched for .zip, and found stuff as zip files that are already in my Poser, but also a lot of Daz stuff, and I am confused because the stuff that's not daz may be freebies but I have no or little idea where that should go in my Runtime folder?

other stuff not for daz, I don't know where to put and remember seeing those things already in Poser, do why don't these show where they are installed, if?

drawn posted Mon, 08 July 2024 at 9:02 AM

and then selected the downloads folder and found more that I don't understand. is there a guide for all this?

hborre posted Mon, 08 July 2024 at 10:53 AM

The DAZ content is best installed with the DAZ Install Manager which may be beyond your skill level, ATM.  Unless you intend to learn DAZ Studio in addition to Poser, some of that content is exclusive to DS and not easily converted for Poser use.  However, some content will have a Poser installer, except you need to be familiar with the file folder hierarchy to extract those files. 

The second screencap appears to be an assortment of files of unknown origin.  Examining each ZIP file may reveal which software they belong to, but, again, you need to be familiar with each software's folder hierarchy.

The third screencap contains Renderosity-purchased content.  Those should be accessible and installable through the Poser Library Purchases Tab.  It appears that you downloaded those files as well if you did your installation within Poser.

Rhia474 posted Mon, 08 July 2024 at 11:07 AM

You need to know how to use zip files on your own computer, basically. This isn't something Poser does. Once, as hborre, says you figure out what those zip files are for,  you should know which software of your computer they belong to and then you can do a search for how to install that specific software's zip files.

I would leave DAZ alone for now. Concentrate on learning one thing at a time. Study the Poser manual that came with the software to understand how it works and understand how your MAC does things. Most people here are Windows users, but there are a few that can help with specifics I imagine.